Fresh Venison Liver

• stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

I usually fry my liver in butter and onions with a flour dredge. 2 mins on a side, i’m german, love it.

Thought about doing it different on a big doe we took out of the herd tonite. The shooters wife won’t allow liver into the house, so i got the nod.

I’m thinking about using an egg and sour milk dip, then dredging in corn flake crumbs, like my walleye, then frying in 2″ of peanut oil for 2 mins…

Anyone tried deep oil frying liver, beef or venison??

smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

I love liver but that sounds……???????? Let me know how that turns out.

tstatz
    wis

The liver takes most of the cleansing of the blood do you want to eat toxins? Have a nice steak cut from the deer and be happy and healthy.

troutbum
    St. Paul

What is sour milk dip?

Don Miller
    Onamia, MN

A true pleasure is flour dredged fresh liver fried medium rare with onions in bacon grease. I allow myself this indulgence about once every 2 years.

buck-slayer

Quote:

A true pleasure is flour dredged fresh liver fried medium rare with onions in bacon grease. I allow myself this indulgence about once every 2 years.

Medium rare? Ish

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

Quote:

Leave the bacon in when you fry it and eat all three together. Very good if you are liver eater.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

It’s the liquid that you add to make the breading stick to the ‘dippee’. In this case it was egg and sour milk. Lots of moisteners are used: milk, cream, wine, beer, vinegar.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

I’ve used bacon grease a lot for cooking and actually keep a can on the stove of bacon grease!!

When i fry in it, i tend to fry the bacon first and pull it, then fry the rest in the grease left behind, mostly because i like my bacon cooked hard and the liver is done WAY too early for the bacon!!

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

As a true liver lover (toxins and all) i prefer medium rare myself.
    However, when i did this i let it cook a bit too long, mostly because i was trying to brown the breading. Mistake.
    However, it was cooked medium and tasted wonderful. The flavor of the breading went well, but i guess i’m going to have to find an alternative that cooks faster, maybe a tempura type breading…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.