Mounting kicker motor

• Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Just became the proud owner of a new to me kicker motor. Now, how to connect the fuel line. I have a Lund boat, and on the side there is a spot that looks like it was designed for a second fuel line to come through, but it was never used, or set up. Assuming it is next to impossible to get at the boat’s fuel tank to do that, what is the best option for maybe t’ing off the line that feeds my main four stroke motor?

In front of the existing bulb? Is there a need for a one way valve to keep it from pulling fuel from the other motor and bulb? If so, guess that would mean one for the kicker as well. Already thinking I’ll need a bulb on that line.

I by no means want to carry a second tank. I’m not hooked up with a good shop in the area, and don’t know anyone else that has done this. Any help would be great. Suggestions, warnings, tips on getting the parts… Thanks!

EDIT: Just found out the motor I bought was a short shaft when I should be mounting a long shaft… is this not going to work? Sucks… guessing it won’t as it sits pretty high.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Do you have a fuel/water separator installed?

I have the main line from the tank to a separator and
    two outlet lines coming from the separator to bulkhead fittings.

I eliminated the dealer installed plastic tee by setting
    it up this way.

No issues with my setup.

Chuck Melcher

No, there is a separator on the 115 Yamaha under the cover, but not externally.

kurt-turner
    Southeast MN

Quote:

EDIT: Just found out the motor I bought was a short shaft when I should be mounting a long shaft… is this not going to work? Sucks… guessing it won’t as it sits pretty high.

Are you sure it needs to be a long shaft? Many walleye boats do fine with a short shaft. What are the boat specs you are installing this on? Found this one time surfing the net maybe it will help. Good luck, always something new to learn, sometimes more painfully then others. Been there.. Kurt

Shaft Length: How do I measure?

If mounting directly to a boat transom: Measure from the top of the transom down to the bottom of the hull or keel (lowest point). Measure the area of the transom directly where the engine will be mounted. See diagram below.

If using an auxiliary mounting bracket: With the bracket in the down position, measure from the top of the bracket’s mounting surface down to the bottom of the hull or keel (lowest point where engine will be mounted). Tip: For most auxiliary applications, it is possible to use a longer shaft length than what is called for, provided there is sufficient clearance when the engine is in the up position. This can be especially useful in heavy seas.

If measuring an existing outboard: Measure from the inside top of mounting bracket down to anti-cavitation plate above propeller (this is the largest plate/fin directly above the propeller). See diagram below.
    Height Measurement:
    Recommended Shaft Length:
    14” – 17.25”
    15” Shaft (Short)
    17.25” – 19.5”
    Varies by application
    19.5” – 22.5”
    20” Shaft (Long)
    22.5” – 27”
    25” Shaft (Extra-Long)

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Quote:

here’s a pic, showing both a short-shaft (15″) kicker on the port side, and a long-shaft (20″) on the right, with a 20″ main motor, on a 17′ Lund Explorer. No doubt, the long shaft puts the prop below the hull, which helps a lot in reverse, but the the SS certainly works going forward. Remember, your boat will not be on plane, so depending on what yours really looks like, it might still be worth a try.

HRG

Chuck Melcher

I know I took this off topic… but here’s the height. I was told by a Lund dealer I needed a long shaft when I first started looking. 17′ Fisherman. The center of the prop is just below the bottom of the boat at that point… but obviously several inches from the bottom at the center of the boat.

kurt-turner
    Southeast MN

Like HRG said it’ll work to go forward but if you plan to use it backing into high seas you will be frustrated… Shouldn’t be hard to sell and buy a long shaft as it looks like a nice motor.

Chuck Melcher

Thanks guys! I’ll see if he’ll take it back unless someone see this and wants it. Sucks, but it is a simple error. Was looking forward to having it. SE WI. [email protected]

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.