Alexandria

• Anonymous

Anyone going to the 3rd annual Ice Fishing Challenge Saturday the 11th? This will be held from 12 to 3 on Lake LeHomme Dieu. I will be joining my son for this event. Last year he won an FL8 Pro Pack with a small perch and wanted to share his good luck by purchasing a ticket for me to join him at this years event.
    Dino

Anonymous

Sounds like fun. Good luck, I hear that Le homme Deau is a little slow right now for anything other than panfish. Where is the event held out of? Jon

Anonymous

The northeast edge near Kruger’s Creek public access is listed on the registration form. I have never been on the lake before but will be with people who know where we are going. I hope this wind dies a bit. Real winter is upon us.
    Dino

Anonymous

Good luck! I got a couple buddies heading up too. Sounds like a good time. Maybe too good.

Anonymous

I stayed in Glenwood with my son for the weekend. As I started my truck at 10 on Saturday morning , I saw the temp to be -2.(groan). At least the sun was shining It was going to be cold out there. There was a pretty good breeze even in town. We grabbed a few extra clothes and drove to Alex and the lake. As we arrived at the access we saw a large crowd of people , the weather did not slow down too many from attending. The event looked to be well organized. We dropped off the equipment and left my son to wait as I drove to the parking field about 1/4 mile away. A bus took me back to the access. From there we hopped on a large snomobile trailer to take us out to the contest area. As I looked across the crowd it seemed like there was a couple thousand people. I did not hear the actual count but the event was well attended. We picked a spot and proceeded to open the predrilled holes. A guy walked over to offer another chisel and told us that he was part of the group that cut 7000 holes on Friday. They had frozen back up pretty good and we had to chop through about 5 inches to open them again. We were set up about 11:45 and ready to go. The cannon fired to start the contest and within minutes there were people running to weigh in fish. You could hear the cheers from all parts of the fishing grid as people took their fish to the weigh tent. My son had a small perch hit his minnow and he decided to enter it. About a half hour later he came back to say he was in 58th place. I had picked up some small perch also but decided that they would not be good enough so I kept fishing. It was fun to watch some of the contestants and their techniques. Some were on their bellys looking down the hole to try to spot the fish. Some put tip ups in and hoped for that northern that might win the truck. I felt I needed to jig to try to attract a fish. The wind was very brisk and the holes froze over within minutes. It kept me busy keeping it open. The ice would build up on the line very quickly also. Wasn’t this fun??? There was a roar about 50′ from us and a guy hauled out a northern that was probably 2 lbs. The run , run , run chant started as this guy proceeded to the tent. This fish would definately have him in the prizes.
    The 3 hours went fairly quickly and we did not have anything to win a prize. We walked over to the leader board to try to get a look but stayed on the outside of the crowd. James got in to see if he happened to be on the board but the number 100 fish was 2 ounces larger than his. We checked the raffle board and did not get lucky there either. Time to leave. We walked the 1/4 mile off the lake and I got on a bus to go out to retrieve the truck. I looked at the temp in the truck and it warmed up to a nice 2 degrees. We survived the day.
    It was a very well organized event and I would consider fishing again next year.
    Dino

Anonymous

Dino nice report on the contest. Too bad you guys didn’t place but it sounds like you both had a good day out fishing. Steve

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.