Lake Menomin

• Anonymous

Well Mike Little (mudlnthru) was in Eau Claire for a few days with his kids (trying to earn some of those cool points) and we met out on Menomin. We took seperate rigs all over the lake and never really found a constant bite. We got some perch,a couple of northerens some rock bass and some smallies. I thought I had a photo oportunity for a while but it ended up being a 13 in smallie with my line wrapped around around a large branch.Had me fooled I even got out the net. Oh well it was a great day on the water (a little windy at times) and it was great meeting the rest of the gang. Check out the family photo. Got to practice when I get the chance. Steve

Anonymous

Leinieman,

Does Menomin get much fishing pressure? I can’t tell you the number of times I pass over the Red Cedar and look towards the expansive waters toward Menomin and see nothing but water! It would seem to me that if the pressure is low, that lake MUST be a sleeper for some real trophies! Am I nuts or would you encourage such a pursuit?

Anonymous

Funny you should say that. The lake dosen’t get fished real hard maybe more in winter.
    There’s always some boats out there and some people do really well
    on it. We had company drop by yesterday and he was telling me how many
    nice walleye’s they were getting just a couple of weeks ago.I do pretty well in
    the spring and from September on. The lake has some good size fish in it. It seems that
    some people can just catch fish and others don’t. Now you now why I’m on the
    Media Pro Staff. LOL Let me know if you want to go sometime and I’ll meet you there with my rig after work sometime. Steve

Anonymous

Cool! I’ll see what I can do!

Anonymous

Finally getting a chance to post here. The day was great, Steve, even though the fish wouldn’t cooperate much. The lake certainly has some possibilities though.

We marked fish just about everywhere, but not in great quantity. And the shoreline has some fabulous structure. I’m anxious to go back to spend a couple of days there. Not only is the area really pretty, but there really is almost no apparent pressure on it. There were only three trailers at the public launch next to the library and I can’t imagine that a lot of fish don’t move through it most of the time. Just hard to get them to bite on Saturday.

The kids had a great time, too. I’m always happy to take them out, even though they’d rather eat sandwiches and drop chocolate all over the boat than fish. But heck, they’re my kids so I forgive them.

Wonderful time, Steve. I’m looking forward to going again.

Mike

Anonymous

Anytime you wanna go just holler. It was nice meeting your kids and heck your daughter even drinks Leinies
    Steve

coot
    North Central Wisconsin

Been fishing Menomin about once a week lately. Walleye action has been decent, nothing bigger than 20″, but getting a fair number of fish between 15″ & 19″. Bass & northern action has been good with action steady. Northerns have ranged in size from the typical “hammer-handles” to a couple around 32″. Been getting quite a few bass over 14″ with a smallmouth that went 17″ and a largemouth at 18″.

Anonymous

Welcome to the group. Are you from around Menomonie? How did you here about this site? Can you give me lessons on Menomin?
    LOL I get out every once in a while but haven’t had much time lately which is about to change. Do you also fish Tainter Lake? Oh well enough with the questions. Have a good day and let’s hit the lake sometime together. Steve

coot
    North Central Wisconsin

Thanks for the welcome leinieman. Yes, I live near Menomonie. Found the site through FTR. Computer has been down most of the summer, probably a good thing, spent more time on the water instead of the web. I do fish Tainter, but prefer Menomin. For me personally, Tainter tends to be more hit & miss (but I don’t overlook it, that lake can be hot at times). Can usually find something willing to bite on Menomin and easier to put together consistent patterns. I always like to hear the people around the area complain about how green it gets and refer to Menomin as the “Dead Sea”. I don’t mind it a bit when they talk like that, only means they aren’t gonna venture out & I will have all my spots to myself. LOL Enough rambling, we’ll see you on the green water sometime!

Anonymous

Hit lake Menomin for a few hours this evening. From about 5:00-8:00. All we got was a short walleye,and a couple of small smallies. Thats the way she goes. Temp must be starting to drop it was at 72 degrees today. These cool nights are great. Steve

Anonymous

yep, this was pretty accurate as I caught the short eye, 1 or 2 toothy monster tear offs
    and bottom at least twice loosing hardware, hence my username (btmfinder) oh yeah the
    leinieman did hook a smalllllll smallmouth & white bass! better fishing next time??

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.