New to Winnie

• PhilLayman
    Covington, Ohio

I’ll be arriving at Winnie 8-9-03, the last time I was there I was 14, am 35 now…what’s happening on the lake…and what should I be using..I think when we were there last time we used “Erie Dearies” and “wigglewarts” Will be staying just east of the dam area.

sean colter
    Grand Rapids, MN

Phil,
    Well somethings never change and others do, but the earie dearies and wigglewarts might work but for the most part Winnie is a live bait lake. Cranksbaits such as a #7 shad rap will catchfish at certain times, but the old jig and minnow or roach rig with a leech or crawler is probably your best bet. The weedlines are producing some of the better numbers as of late. Don’t be afraid of fishing in the 6-10 foot of water. The North and East shorelines would be some of the better areas to start.

PhilLayman
    Covington, Ohio

Thanks ! Will be arriving Sat. afternoon, hope the weather holds for the week ! So far it looks good anyway Getting antsy already…but I know it’ll be time to pack back up soon enough

tbates1385

I have been fishing Winnie since 1975 and I would tell you that little has changed (must say few people in the area would know what an Erie Deerie is but I have several in my tackle box). As Sean mentioned Winnie is primarily a live bait lake. Last weekend we did very well with both minnow and crawlers fishing in 7-6 feet of water. Color of the jig or rig seems to have more effect than the bait itself. Green and orange jigs were very active last weekend with white also producing some fish.
    Hope your return trip is a good one

PhilLayman
    Covington, Ohio

Welp….home from vacation

Did excellant fishing wise though ….fished from Sunday to last Friday, ended up filleting 99 walleye, 77 perch, and 15 Northen. Spent most of our time off Tamarak Pt., then some at the mouth of Cut Foot, and due east down the shore line into Haubrich’s Bay. Used Nights,minnows, and leeches, but after day one, stuck with the nightcrawlers the rest of the week. Color didn’t seem to matter much, but it seemed like the hammered gold spinner did best. Sure wish someone would genetically engineer a nightcrawler that can hold up to perch pecking !!! Hoping to come back in 3 yrs. was well worth the time and money…just went toooooo fast !!!

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

O.K. I’ll say it……That’s an awful lot of fish to keep out of one body of water. I hope you had a big group! Not to mention lots of help with the fillet knives!

PhilLayman
    Covington, Ohio

yea…there were 8 of us…only 3 did the filleting…and we each brought some fish home

rigger
    Dunkerton Iowa

(Did excellant fishing wise though ….fished from Sunday to last Friday, ended up filleting 99 walleye),

Quote:

yea…there were 8 of us…only 3 did the filleting…and we each brought some fish home

Now with 8 of you @ 6 fish each. the possession limit would be 48…So how do you account for the other 51 walleye. I do not under stand why any one needs to cut. 99 WALLEYE. If you need to eat fish Eat Perch…….

Rigger

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.