End of July Report

• sean colter
    Grand Rapids, MN

Well the walleyes remain on the shorelines. It seems that the majority of eater type fish are hanging in and along the weeds making for a fun end of July jig and minnow bite. It hasn’t been the best bite for those 14-17 inch fish this last week, but as some thought they were all gone, we are now seeing them show up a little bit again.
    The 8-10 foot weeds along the East shoreline have some prety good numbers of eye with sizes varing.
    The pike action continues to heat up. It seems the weedlines on the North, West and East shores are all producing some fast action. This time of the year through the end of August can be some of the best pike action on Winnie, as the really like the looks of those wood baits either casted or trolled.
    The magnum perch continue to find the mid-lake structure, but the consistency of the bite is similiar to weather up here right now. One minute its hot and sunny, then its raining and hot, the perch are about the same, hot…hot…hot. But one thing that is a bit off is the consistency of bites from the same school, meaning if the bite slows one must keep moving until locating another group, when they are feeding though, hang on…they are active and big. Tip a chartruese/ orange fireball with a chub and try to hover over them fishing vertically, for some fast action. See ya out there

james_walleye
    rochester, mn

Just got back from the week at Winnie. I finally found the quality eyes but it wasnt until thursday. I found an 11-12′ flat that was covered with baitfish and started trolling shad raps. 4 hours thursday evening produced 4 eyes in the 15-16 1/2″ range. 5 in the 17-19″ range and 3 in the 20-22″ range. Plenty of 4-5lb pike and I released one 10 1/2″ pike. Fished about 6 hours between yesterday morning and last evening and again the same flat produced 5 of the same size keepers. 4 in the 17-19″ range and 4 more in the 20-23″ range. The last 2 fish of the evening were an 8 and a 9 1/2lb pike. This bite kind of surprised me, it seemed as though this kind of bite would happen more in September into the fall. I’ll be up again Labor Day weekend and i’ll be interested to see if this same area is still holding the baitfish and quality walleyes and big pike.

james_walleye
    rochester, mn

That was suppose to be 10 1/2 lb pike not 10 1/2″…….

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

Those are nice fish. Was this a jig and minnow bite or were you trolling cranks?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.