Opening Day on Cannon Lake/ Cannon River Chain

• Anonymous

Date Location Water Temp Stage Flow Technique

5/11/2002 Cannon River 50 3-ways & bait

Opening day on Cannon Lake of the Cannon River Chain was wet, cold and windy. Got on the water at 8:30 drove out to the lake and drove around checking things out and looking for a new internet friend but didn’t find him.

Started fishing a flat with 3-way and crawler. Weather was cloudy, cold, rainy and very windy. Sounds like a Minnesota Opener doesn’t it? lol No luck there so drove over to a nice rock bar and trolled that area with nothing happening either. There were about 20 boats out on the lake / river when I got on the lake and by 10:00 only about 5 left. Wind was kicking up pretty good. Went over to the outlet and trolled the rock shoreline and still nothing. With the waves rolling in on that area you would think that area would produce but still no luck. Water was “very” clear which was surprising for a river/lake combo.

By 11:15 I was off the water due to the wind kicking up alot worse. Everyone I talked to had the same story, no fish. Lyle at Fairbault Bait and Tackle said the fish bite on Cannon was right after midnight [Sat. am] with a 6 3/4 lb. eye being the biggest one caught that he knew about. Clear water, nicer weather, darkness, less traffic, sometimes it would be nice if Lyle was wrong. LOL. But next time eyes look out. Hope you have a great weekend on the water and catch a few for me! Bill Cadwell

Anonymous

Bill,

You left way, way too early or got there too late. Generally I hit cannon and am ready to wet the line at mid-nite Fri. night. Sounds like the same conditions as 2 or 3 years ago. That year the boats were getting swamped at the public access so I launched in the river at warsaw. It rained and gusted to 30-35 mph that nite and I stuck it out alone in a 16 ft. boat from 9 pm to 6 am. I caught a limit of 15-18 inchers–18 inches was the biggest that time. Cold, wet, and fun. $500 is a lot for a gortex parka and bibs, but in those conditions your toasty warm and dry. That’s when you say $500 huh—-those guys on the shore would pay???? Maybe I’ll hit it this afternoon—forecast is 30-35 mph gust. It don’t matter if there’s sun—-the prime forage becomes the crankbait/bobber and leech (on ice!!!!)….lol. See ya on the river this weekend. Brian

Anonymous

Glad somebody got em! Went to the river [mississippi] today and got rained and hailed on! I don’t think the sun likes my new red boat and that the rain clouds love it. [ I bought Nates]. My luck has got to change someday, lol. Check out the rest of the story on Tetonka its a good one. Bill

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.