Devils Lake advice needed!

• abe
    La Crosse

Hey everyone,
    I am planning a spur of the moment father-son(13yrs old) trip to the Devils Lake area for fishing and early goose. Heading out Wed morning and staying in Minnewaukan. Any tips on best tactics for walleye this time of the year near the Minnewaukan /Pelican Lake side? Also, If anyone has tips on geese I will take those. It has been 15 years since I hunted ND. Trying to make this a special father/son trip.

Thank you!

riverrookie
    Kasson, MN

drop a note to Johnny Candle at his web site, I’m sure he’d help you out.

jim-c
    Minot, ND

There is decent bite in Pelican Lake on weed lines, look in 11-13′ FOW with spinners or slow death and half a crawler. There are fish along the railroad tracks, and the Moon Bars are worth a look too. If the weeds fail troll the breakline in 21-24′ FOW with leadcore and small cranks, or Reef Runners if the bite is really going.

The Golden Highway from Graham’s Island to Minnewaukan is usually reliable for eaters this time of year. Pull spinners with crawlers behind bouncers on the ditch edges, or troll cranks across the top of the road. #7 Berkley Flicker Shads or Salmo Hornets will get you fish. Perch colors, fire tiger, or something with white in it will work.

Lots of geese around. I hope you have a great trip to North Dakota!

Jim Carroll NPAA #13

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

There is decent bite in Pelican Lake on weed lines, look in 11-13′ FOW with spinners or slow death and half a crawler. There are fish along the railroad tracks, and the Moon Bars are worth a look too. If the weeds fail troll the breakline in 21-24′ FOW with leadcore and small cranks, or Reef Runners if the bite is really going.

The Golden Highway from Graham’s Island to Minnewaukan is usually reliable for eaters this time of year. Pull spinners with crawlers behind bouncers on the ditch edges, or troll cranks across the top of the road. #7 Berkley Flicker Shads or Salmo Hornets will get you fish. Perch colors, fire tiger, or something with white in it will work.

Lots of geese around. I hope you have a great trip to North Dakota!

Jim Carroll NPAA #13

Looks to be some top-notch advice. Thanks for sharing Jim!

Joel

abe
    La Crosse

Thank You!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.