Fishing & Camping on St. Croix

• Mitch Bradshaw
    Hugo, MN

We recently embarked on a paddling, fishing and camping adventure on the Saint Croix River. We put the Kayaks in at Interstate Park (MN) and our take out point was Marine on St. Croix (16.1 miles downstream). In between those launches we explored the river, back waters, caught multiple different species of fish, camped one night at a primitive site, got rained on and had a blast! I can’t wait to get back out on that stretch of river. This video captures a good portion of our adventure.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

We do that most weekends in that area. Dont take my camp spot waytogo

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Pretty nice area up that way isn’t it. I haven’t checked out your video yet but will.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Cool video. So at one point it looked like you where going into Close slough. Did you guys make it through there? The video then jumped to what looked like the channel into Peasley lake.

tangler
    Inactive

Nice Mitch!

I did that same float in a canoe with my girlfriend in high school. Lots of nice quiet secluded spots to… eat a picnic lunch woot

Haven’t had my kid camping out there in a few years, it’s definitely on the list to get back to.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

really great video! i enjoyed it thanks!

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Looks like a fun trip. Nice job on the video and editing. How were the bugs at the camp site? I know a few guys that swear by those hammocks. Not sure how I would handle them? Like to roll over a lot.

-J.

Mitch Bradshaw
    Hugo, MN

Cool video. So at one point it looked like you where going into Close slough. Did you guys make it through there? The video then jumped to what looked like the channel into Peasley lake.

We tried to get into both the Slough and Peasley lake but the water was too far down. The Ranger told us that the week before we went she made it back into the Slough but the water dropped significantly in a week’s time and kept us from getting back there. Next time!

Looks like a fun trip. Nice job on the video and editing. How were the bugs at the camp site? I know a few guys that swear by those hammocks. Not sure how I would handle them? Like to roll over a lot.

The mosquito’s were pretty bad but we were both expecting them to be a little worse. You certainly had to re-apply the bug spray every 30-45 mins or so. A little wind cutting through the campsite helped, so did the campfire smoke. I am a stomach sleeper myself but have had no issue sleeping in those hammocks – granted I have only done it like 4-5 times though.

tangler
    Inactive

Really enjoyed this video because it wasn’t just reeling in fish after fish of the same species. You really showed what it’s like to experience the river for a couple days.

My one point of advice: Time for some new microphones with proper windscreens.

Good work!

B-man

Very cool. Holy cats is the water low at the Peasley channel.

Mitch Bradshaw
    Hugo, MN

Really enjoyed this video because it wasn’t just reeling in fish after fish of the same species. You really showed what it’s like to experience the river for a couple days.

My one point of advice: Time for some new microphones with proper windscreens.

Good work!

I agree. I do need to invest in a microphone! I just use the audio from the GoPro audio which leaves a lot to be desired and is susceptible to wind, muffling, audio spikes, etc.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.