First time without Dad….

• prieser
    Byron, MN

On October 13th my dad passed away suddenly from a heart attack. He was only 68 years old and still worked every single day. No symptoms earlier, no shortness of breath or dizziness, just simply on his way to empty some garbage out of the work truck and boom. Dad was a veteran, a carpenter, a legionnaire, a fire fighter, he was also one of our towns biggest volunteers, whether it be at church, the legion, the fire hall or around town, he was the least selfish person I knew.
    He was also the man that introduced me to the outdoors. As a little kid, I remember chasing behind the coon hounds at night. I remember shooting streaky gophers on back country roads. I remember my first trip with the Fire Fighters down in Whitewater deer hunting. I remember my first trip with dads buddies to Wyoming, chasing mule deer. I remember fishing all over the state, whether it was a local creek, Leech, Winnie, Mille Lac, Lake of the Woods, Faribault, Hayward WI. I remember all of this, because dad took me and my two brothers on all these trips and made sure we had fun doing it. He was my biggest influence into the outdoors by far. Dad was a farm kid growing up, I remember hearing that he would eat everything he shot or caught. Pigeons, squirrels, raccoon, river chubs, carp if dad had a hand in killing it, he ate it.
    One story from long ago, dad was up at sunrise to go squirrel hunting with some buddies. Not sure if they shot any squirrels that day, but they did shoot a big ole boar raccoon. He had it skun out, cause you know, he had to cook it up. All mom saw was a “Giant” squirrel curled up in the kitchen sink. She was telling the story to her lady friends at card club later that night about the biggest darn squirrel she’d ever seen, only to have dad and his buddies falling out of their chairs in the other room. Dad didn’t just teach us the finer skills of being an outdoors man, he also taught us all the fun you get to have when the hunt is over. Pickled eggs and beer down at Mauer Brothers, toasting with Black Berry Brandy out in Wyoming after a kill and drinking beers in the fish shack after a good day on the water. I had the good fortune to try and start to pay dad back for all of this with a guided elk/muley hunt in Western MT a few years ago. Neither of us filled a tag, but we had a ton of stories and beautiful country to remember and talk about when we came home. We still had our fun after the hunt was done as well -)

This past Saturday was my first sit since his passing. My mom and my wife both said, go hunt. It’s been a long week and we all needed our quiet time. To be honest it wasn’t much of a hunt that day. The winds were blowing hard and bringing in a pretty good storm that evening and I found myself second guessing whether I should shoot or not shoot if something presented itself. If tracking would have been needed, it wouldn’t be good. Needless to say, I had a lot of time to dwell on all of these memories and worry/wonder about life without dad. How will mom be, how will my brothers and their families be, how will my family and myself be. I remembered too, what if I do shoot a deer, now who is going to get the first call???? But I also remembered a phrase that dad often spoke. “Don’t Panic”, that was dad’s catch phrase, his motto, his mantra. All these questions will answer themselves soon enough, sitting and fretting about them won’t do any of us any good. The day of dad’s passing I also remember that I said something to my grandma about “I Wish” and she stopped me in my tracks. She said, you cannot go around wondering and regretting anything in this life, that will only consume you. Just remember all the great times, all the teachings, all the ways he lived. That is what dad always did and that is what he wanted everyone else to do. So, I tried to just enjoy the moment and enjoy the wonders of the outdoor world. I know I have my families fullest support to extend my outdoor experiences, and I know that my son already loves being out there, so the legacy does live on.

Thanks Dad, I Love You and Miss You. No Regrets

Pete S

Very sorry to hear about your loss, keep making him proud!

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Prieser I’m sorry for your loss.
    My Dad passed away a year ago last week. He taught me how to hunt and fish. He was my Hero.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

Peace to you my friend. Tremendous loss. What a meaningful legacy your father has left behind in you.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

What a tribute to your Father. Your Mother had some super advice and if you follow it your Father will never, ever be far away. Prayers to you, and your family in his passing.

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

Beautiful Tribute of a life welll lived.

Your Dad must have been a very special person.

Sorry for your loss.

Pete

jeff-pb-crappie-16.5
    SW Michigan

Thoughts and prayers to you and your family. Sorry for your loss.

prieser
    Byron, MN

The legacy lives on, my son and I sat on Deer opener this past weekend. He has sat with me since he was 5 or 6 in my bow set ups, and he has sat with a gun since his first MEA hunt when he was 10. We have fun out in the woods together; Thumb Wrestling, Eye Spy, talking about school (and now girls), teaching about signs, sounds and outdoors-men stuff. Isaac has been my little lucky charm when I was bow hunting with him, I am positive I’ve harvested a doe every year that he has sat with me. He took his first deer (a 7 pointer) 45 minutes into his first hunt. That was a surreal moment for me. I am sure I had the same amount of buck fever my first time hunting, but seeing it take over his body and mind was an amazing, amazing thing. The shakes, the second guessing, the pure adrenaline, the joy and the happy tears and excitement of tracking and finding his deer.
    His lucky streak hit a two year road block, but we still sat together and did our normal tree stand activities. Last year was really tough, we had two different bucks (appear) out of no where but we could not get set up and get a shot off. Then on his last day, after shooting hours, I had to teach him a hard lesson on the legality of shooting times. 12 year old kids don’t understand this and to have a doe 20 yards away and not be able to shoot was almost the worst thing possible.
    This year was my sons third sit with a gun, it was season A opener and Sundays was also Dad’s (Grandpa’s) birthday. What better way to celebrate and remember grandpa then to be out in the woods, handing down what was handed down to me. Saturday was no fun (weather wise) windy, raining, cold. Kid was dressed to the gills, but he just wasn’t having that much fun being out. We saw deer, but again, we couldn’t get set up without being busted. So we just had to watch. About 8:30-9:00 he couldn’t come up with anymore excuses to stay and he climbed down to go to the bathroom and warm up. I stayed, with my bow and watched as he walked back. He no more than walked into the door of the bunk house and a little forky walked out into our food plot. He was on a mission, so I wasn’t too disappointed that Isaac wasn’t there, as I don’t think he would have gotten a shot off. Then 20 minutes later, a nice 3-1/2 year old 8 pointer stayed out in front of me for 10-15 minutes. I could have easily shot him 3-4 times with my bow, but I passed as I was hoping that he would come back again that evening.
    Saturday afternoon was fun again, the deer were on there feet, the doe bleat would bring them close, but three different times, they wouldn’t stick around long enough to get a shot off. Frustrating but fun. I saw a buck walking out in the pines and bleated. He stopped, looked our direction and headed towards us. The buck was a little apprehensive, but his loins, were stronger than his head and he just had to find the doe making all the commotion. He ended up coming within 35 yards and turned slightly broadside. Isaac was set and he let the sabot fly. I knew right away that it was a good shot. The buck stumbled and fought hard to take off running. He opposite shoulder was gone and he flopped and staggered for about 30 yards and disappeared behind some shrubbery. A couple of more thrashes were heard, so I was sure that the deer was down. Isaac had it all again, BUCK FEVER had taken over. Shakes, smiles, excitement, tears and hugs. I was so proud of how well he did. It was a standing, free style shot, no rest, and he drilled that deer. We waited until dark and started tracking, I had him up front, the blood trail was good and we found his buck just a couple of minutes into it. He was a huge bodied, 6 point buck, Isaac couldn’t even budge it, so I grabbed a hold and drug his trophy out into the clearing and took some pictures.
    My dad, never shared with me his excitement at my first couple of deer, but I knew he was more happy for me, than he ever was for his deer. The man took me all over, hunting 4 different states and including me and my brothers into his trips with his friends. He was selfless and wanted us to share in this world of the outdoors. I can’t wait to keep the legacy going, it’s already started…

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20171104_184021556.jpg

2. IMG_20171104_171637441.jpg

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.