First time opener

• Craig Purcell

Im taking a risk by making plans being on the lake the weekend after opener this year. We are not looking to make a killing but at the very least have a good time with the kids, this will be their first ever trip. We plan on focussing our time the first day or two in black bay and sand bay. Hopefully the lake is open, crossing our fingers. If anyone has a direction on where to go this early in the season we really want to stay off the river but if thats where we have to go eventually so be it. We have sure fire spots for July and later in the season we just have never been up this early before. Thank you in advance.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Black Bay should work for you. Water temp in Sand might be pretty cold assuming the late ice out the way it’s looking right now. All the bays along 11 east on the way to the visitors center should be open and will provide good Pike action.

Wayne Daul
    Green Bay, Wi

Early spring current is your friend. If your boat is big enough Kettle River can be very good, it is a long ride from the resorts.

Craig Purcell

Will the lake be open by may 20th that far down?

Craig Purcell

Black Bay should work for you. Water temp in Sand might be pretty cold assuming the late ice out the way it’s looking right now. All the bays along 11 east on the way to the visitors center should be open and will provide good Pike action.

We are excited to hook into some pike hopefully the eyes are a little aggressive as well. I will update our trip on where and what when time comes

Sean Wachsmuth

We have fished that weekend for the last few years, but always on the east end. Staying west this year and camping at Loon Bay the same weekend. We have caught fish then, but not nearly what we do later in the summer. I think we will try Black Bay too and see how that works out. No matter what, Rainy is an amazing experience. Good luck with your trip and maybe we will cross paths!

bruce anderson

Black bay is a good choice. My step dad rarely leaves it. And out fishes me most of the time. If you got kids your best bet is trolling cranks. Purples blues and chrome rattling raps have been the best the past few years. Fire tiger is also a go to. Just get in around the islands east of lynx island. If you have lakemasterchip use it get tight around structure. But be careful when your tight rocks can come out of now were. Hope you get into some hogs. Black bay is kinda like its own different lake but has some big eyes in there.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.