Ringworms=Lakes?

• Mark Steffes
    Farmington, MN

I was wondering how while ringworms work on lakes? Would you use the same tactics as the river? I’m going to be spending 10 days of fishing around the Detroit lakes area & I thinking of trying some ringys on alot of the lakes I grew up fishing.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

They work like a charm on lakes. Hard to find the current break though. If you put them down on fish they will bite them sometimes really hard.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

for walleyes or smallies?

For walleyes, I would say stick to live bait. I’ve tried it a few times and it does work. But livebait in warmer waters always seems to prevail. Same thing basically applies to the river. Once the water warms up, the plastics get put away and out come the bait.

Mark Steffes
    Farmington, MN

Walleyes, what I was thinking is a rock pile that was holding fish but you could get them to take anything else. Also you say ringworm to someone in the northwestern part of the state & they think you got something wrong with your foot. So it is something that the fish problaly haven’t seen.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

try it!
    I used them on LOTW with average success on the reefs one year.

ToddJ

Gary you are 100% correct proven fact last night on pool 3 I was slamming walleye’s and saugers with a jig/crawler/leech, so I decided to switch it up and fish with the same jig head, but with a ringworm, not one bite, switched back to live bait and it was a night and day difference. Live bait is always a go to bait at this time of year. It worked very well for me last night and it will be very hard for this guy to pull out plastics after last night, until the water cools down.

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

I knocked the heck out of fish at Sherman Reservior earlier this spring on a cotton candy ringworm. I have toyed with the idea of lindying a ringworm but have not tried it yet.

I am going to throw some pre-fishing these next couple of days at a different lake and see what happens. They may be the little something different that the fish are looking for this time of year

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

I ran a chartreuse ringie on a spinner rig on Winnie a few years back and kept getting perch Guess they were hungry.

Don Hanson

Interesting, I use ringies on spinners when the pearch are nipping crawlers. Differnt body of water I guess.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Gary you are 100% correct proven fact last night on pool 3 I was slamming walleye’s and saugers with a jig/crawler/leech, so I decided to switch it up and fish with the same jig head, but with a ringworm, not one bite, switched back to live bait and it was a night and day difference.

Some times they want bait. Some times they want plastics. Some times they’ll hit both but those days are rare.

I’ve seen mid-summer days in august… hot, stinky humid, where the ringies outfished everything else. And I’ve seen that go in the opposite direction too.

I don’t carry near the selection of plastics in the boat in the summer that I do in the cooler months but there are times when they need to be in the boat. Fishing wingies is one. Casting to riprap to isolated pods of fish is another time I’ll have a ringie rigged and ready to go regardless of season.

Last summer in august up in the BWCA I made the minnow guys look twice, three times and even consider putting down the bait after watching me outfish them handily all on a plain 1/4 head and ringie.

I wouldn’t leave the dock without the leeches and crawlers this time of year but I wouldn’t recommend giving up on plastics completely either.

fredbart
    St. Paul

The past few summers I have been canoeing in Quetico Park, just north of the BWCA. The lakes are generally intercommected with lots of flow, current neck down areas, etc. The difficulty with canoeing is that you have to limit your arsenal to a few key lures. Jigs are a must, you can take a bunch of them, they are cheap and versitle.

n the past I have fished these with the standard 3 inch grub. But now I take mostly 4 inch ringies. I also have had great fishing using 4 inch Berkley Power worms in a brown with a chartreus tail. The power scent does seem to add an extra edge in cold front conditions. I would add that walleye and smallies both put the chew on these which allows the angler great flexibility.

I would highly suggest using these presentations, especially when you are canoing in the north.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I would highly suggest using these presentations, especially when you are canoing in the north.

I’m headed into the BWCA second week in June. This year Tom Donaldson and Wade Keuhl are coming along too.

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

I smacked the snot out of them a year ago on Pepin slow trolling (read dragging) ringies. And I anticipate doing the same this weekend if the trolling cranks and other methods don’t pan out. We shall see!

dd

Crankbait

James,
    What entry point are you guys using? Our first trip of the year is the first week of June entering the Quetico and exiting through the BWCA. Maybe we’ll cross paths on our way out.

Super-doos can also be very effective at times on different bodys of water. The older style pink/brown color provided one of my most memorable days up there. This year I’m looking forward to trying cotton-candy and firecracker.
    Chris

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

We put in at Moose Lake and head north and a little east until we get just short of the Canadian border before making camp for the week. We’re going in the second week and coming back the following.

Crankbait

Sounds like the Knife area, former home of the Rootbeer Lady! We’re actually coming out way west on the Echo Trail at EP#16. Have a fine trip!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Frasier Lake will be home base for us that week.

Crankbait

Haven’t been in that region for a few years but the lakes and rivers to the SE and SW of there are some of my favorites. Extremely fishy area. Decent moose population too. Don’t forget the head nets and bug dope!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

We’ll have to swap trip reports back here on the site to see how everyone did respectively and to share photos and fish stories.

I’ll be sure to bring in some super doos. I can see where they’d be DEADLY.

Crankbait

Will do. Two weeks to go!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.