Thoughts on the new rapala colors

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Rapala has released 4 new “bleeding” patterns this year. So far I’ve only tried one of them, the Bleeding Copper Flash, and that pattern has performed very well for me and for others I know that have tried this lure.

Basically it looks like the old Craw pattern with more of a metallic “gold” on the belly and sides… and of course the red bill. Not sure how much of a difference that red bill makes. So far I’m giving this pattern a “thumbs up.”

Looking at the others I’m not sure I’m going to be convinced to try any of the others with exception of the Bleeding Hot Olive which I’m up in the air on right now.

Anyone else tried any of these new patters andhave any thoughts to share? If you’ve used them and done well, make sure you tell us what type of water conditions you were fishing (clear, murky, dirty, river, lake, etc.) to help us make sense of when and where the other patterns might be the ticket.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Here’s the other colors / patterns in case you haven’t seen them.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Bleeding Olive Flash… this one is the least appealing to me at first glance.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Bleeding Pearl. I’ve done well on the Canadian Pearl on Pool 4 at various times so I’ll be sure to give this one a shot.

Bob Bowman
    MN

That last one will be a must have on the Louie

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

I second that Bobby for the color, but I have to say I like a little more wobble on the St. Louis than a Shad Rap can offer.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Bleeding Copper and Olive worked while prefishing the Mississippi for the FLW Tour event. I was using those came colors but in the stickbaits while handlining. Despite the handline bite dieing come tournament time those two colors worked very well prefishing

The Bleeding Olive one is a lot like the Hot Steel..both of which work great in stained water.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Bleeding Olive Flash… this one is the least appealing to me at first glance.

After further review the Bleeding Olive Flash looks like a jazzed up version of Baby Bass. I’ve never done much on that pattern myself.

Mark Steffes
    Farmington, MN

The bleeding copper flash, I think looks alot like the goldfish which has always worked real weal for me on the river. Last weekend my daughter where using a goldfish & I was trolling a firetiger in the back channel & they kicked my but 19 eyes on the goldfish to Dad’s 3 on a firtiger.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

The bleeding copper flash, I think looks alot like the goldfish which has always worked real weal for me on the river. Last weekend my daughter where using a goldfish & I was trolling a firetiger in the back channel & they kicked my but 19 eyes on the goldfish to Dad’s 3 on a firtiger.

When you say “goldfish” do you mean crawdad? If so that is my all-time favorite Rapala color on the river.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Sheesh, when I first looked at the picture I thought, big deal, there are red specs on the side. Then I noticed the lip and hooks!

I like the idea. I will have to pick a few up.

whiskeyandwater
    ????

I lost my bleeding olive flash on a solid hit this weekend. it was the 2nd cast with it saturday morning had it about half way in when I got a good hit and when I set the hook I realized that I forgot to set the drag on the new set up didn’t take what ever it was long to get it after that. oohh well new one is on the way.

jhalfen

Quote:

When you say “goldfish” do you mean crawdad? If so that is my all-time favorite Rapala color on the river.

I don’t want to speak for Mark, but I think he’s talking about the goldfish color that is a Scheels exclusive.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

I used the Bleeding Olive on Pepin with Fairbairn the other week during the FLW. It was the hot color for us that day and we tried 5-6 different colors with that one taking all but 1 fish I think! I like them..Gotta get me some!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

I don’t want to speak for Mark, but I think he’s talking about the goldfish color that is a Scheels exclusive.

Ah… I have some of those. Dean down to Everts was carrying them too. I didn’t know they were called goldfish.

Mark Steffes
    Farmington, MN

That’s one I’m talking about, I love them.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

I’d give anything to get a hold of some of those Scheels exclusives if it’s the one from a couple of years ago. They only made them one year. I have one left and it has so many teeth marks that I won’t dare use it if I think there is any chance of it getting snagged. I’ll see if I can find it and take a picture. Maybe we could track down a few.

jhalfen

Ben, post a photo. I live just down the road a piece from a Scheels.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Here’s the pic. The Scheels in Lincoln only had them one year. I know they make another Scheels exclusive now that is similar but not the same.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Ben that is the Black/Gold RS. It looks like a number 4 possibly a 5. Rapala discontinued them last year. I have 6 left and now paint my own pretty similar to that. That is a great lure

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Quote:

Ben that is the Black/Gold RS. It looks like a number 4 possibly a 5. Rapala discontinued them last year.

It’s a 5. The guys at Scheels claimed it was a color exclusive to them 2 seasons ago. Oh well. I wish I could track some down. I’d buy 30 of them if I could find them.

Quote:

I have 6 left and now paint my own pretty similar to that.

Scott do you have a picture of one you painted?

scottsteil
    Central MN

The painted ones work better than the original Black Gold. I still run across #5’s occasionally that are left over. I will keep my eyes open for you. I mainly use #4’s for casting.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’m down to Everts right now and I don’t know where Dean gets his hands on Scheel’s exclusive colored raps… but he has a wall full of those goldfish… lol I do a pretty good job of keeping up on the new colors and names and I swear I had never heard that name said outloud until Jason typed it out in this thread.

He’s also got the new jointed wally divers… I’ve never fished those but picked up a couple to try tomorrow. I’ll be sure to give them a test run and report back how they work.

KirtH
    Lakeville

I’m down to Everts right now and I don’t know where Dean gets his hands on Scheel’s exclusive colored raps… but he has a wall full of those goldfish…

He is part of the underground fishing mafia, you need it he will get it, either nice and easy or

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

I was in Scheels in Lincoln last night and they had a bunch of the Cabela’s exclusive Rapala’s. Jake the fishing manager said you can get any color of Rap you want if you order 2000 of them. Maybe we need an IDA exclusive lure.

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

All those new colors sure are purty. They could do away with all of them and just bring back the blue/silver with orange belly as far as I’m concerned .

scottsteil
    Central MN

Quote:

All those new colors sure are purty. They could do away with all of them and just bring back the blue/silver with orange belly as far as I’m concerned

I agree, but the RS in that color works very well, plus it rattles

KirtH
    Lakeville

blue/silver with orange belly

The Everrets special color

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.