Opening day and NO Boats???

• tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

I still can’t believe it??? Yesterday was the Walleye opener for the Wisc and Wisc/Mich boundary waters. Prior to 12:00 AM (Sat) there was a 1 fish bag limit (early ext season). I almost didn’t take OutdoorGuys offer to go…since this area(Menominee/Marinette) at the mouth of the Menominee River had been such a 300 boat circus in past years.
    Well…We pick up his friend Jon and head down there at 10 PM and get there about 11:30…Hmmmm one boat pulling out and two trolling the channel…the place is deserted.
    NE winds at 20-25 mph and 45 degree temps keeps us in the river…where we start marking lots of fish on the L-10. OK…we drop a few stick baits back 100′-200′ and pull em along the 6-12′ countour….Pow! Fish on for Frank… its a young “Walter” but throughout the next few hours the action was pretty darn good… We boated 23 eyes and put 15 in the box from 16-19″.
    It was kind of a rennaisance for me as I hadn’t used a line counter/trolling rod for quite a spell….I guess I get really hooked on drifting/jigging/rigging.
    The bite waned as the moon came up preceding dawn… ( I apologize for forgetting my camera as we motored back to the launch I am still amazed at the empty river and parking lot???
    Could it be the $3.29gal gas prices?

We had success using mainly 6’6″ to 7′ Med action trigger sticks, Line counter reels with 10 or 20# SuperBraid and 3 1/2″ Thunderstick Jrs or Lil Rippers (Reefrunners). I will say that I had more hits on Purple than any other color we used.
    Oh…BTW…a local guy told me this morning that the “word” was out that the walleye bite was “over” down by Marinette…

(don’t believe all you “hear” …I just nodded my head

dodge_boy
    Minocqua, Wi

I didn’t see may boats out this weekend on minocqua or surrounding lakes. It might have been the gas prices or the high winds.
    All I can say is the male bass have moved up on shallow flats getting ready to spawn, Just have to waiting for the females to show up. Couple of weeks should do the trick.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Sounds like a great time Tom!

It’s nice to have a hot bite to yourself once in a while.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Frank(Outdoorguy) took the Mrs with him later yesterday…still light boat traffic. They caught more sub legals but still boxed a few eaters.
    YES it is nice to be catching fish in a very peaceful setting…of course MOST of the U.P. is very very sparse as far as other boats on the waters.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.