need night fishing tips…

• iceman35
    upstate New York

got sunday/monday off… might be a warmer night… best time for nighttime walleyes this time of year?? water will be upper 40’s… sunset, midnight, near dawn?? gonna throw mainly stickbaits, huskyjerk,longA… was thinking maybe big squarbill crankbait, chatterbait, hollowbelly swimbait… thoughts?? gonna be a dropoff weedline deal… livebait not an option… thanks…

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Sounds to me like you got a good plan going all ready. Hard to say which time of night will be best. Mille Lacs typically is a good bite right at dark and then on and off again threw the night. Our Mississippi river bite right now seem to start slow at dark and then keeps getting better until your eyes are drooping and its time to go in.

Baits that suspend can be good. Fish seem to like them when they are just sitting suspending in the water. Red is always a favorite color of mine.

Paul Delaney

I spend a lot of time in the spring and again now in the fall fishing for Walleyes at night. While every night is different on the water I would recommend being in one of your best spots right at sun down as it goes from dusk to dark. As far as the rest of the night goes I would stay on the water as long as you have time to be there. You may find that you have periods of time where the fish are very active followed by slower activity. If you have time to stay on the water and the fishing slows a bit be patient and also try different locations chances are the action will pick up again.As far as baits go I would recommend matching what ever the fish are likely feeding on in your body of water. Remember fish are feeding up in the Fall preparing for winter so don’t be afraid to use larger baits. Using larger baits also makes it easier for the fish to find your bait. A couple of my favorite baits to use in the Fall are the Rapala floating F-18 along with the #14 size Rapala Husky Jerk. As far as color goes once again try to match what you have in the lake you are fishing but also try different colrs until you find a color that is working best for you. Remember it is never too late to go fishing.

Paul Delaney
    http://www.lateeyessportfishing.com

iceman35
    upstate New York

great info thanks… will put it to good use. have big box of red cranks!! My trip sunday the walleyes wanted nothing but the big husky jerk…

iceman35
    upstate New York

Mike W… just hit the basement and found big red Super rogue… weather looking good for sunday night… above freezing…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.