Everson Griffen

• troutbum
    St. Paul

Lots of speculation on his absence this
    weekend. Anybody know what happened?

glenn57
    cold spring mn

part injury……………but yea all there reporting is personal!!!!!!!!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I would look

A) jail
    B) rehab facility
    C) his lawyers office

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Jails are public record so that’s out.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Apparently he threatened to assault some of the workers at the team hotel on Saturday night. Went on to say that he would “shoot someone” if they didn’t let him in his room. Police where called, all seems to be well now. Guess Vikings are now concerned about his personal well-being.. lol. Must be rough playing a game for a living and making millions and million of dollars while doing it.

Dan
    Southeast MN

No disrespect to you tbro, but millionaire or not, mental health is mental health. A few guys on here have been doing a good job of discussing mental health more and more. What you’re using to criticize him for-“playing a game for a living and making millions and millions of dollars while doing it”-is actually more proof that mental health can affect anyone. Griffin was one of the best defensive players on one of the best defensive teams, got signed to a big extension, and still was in a mental state to possibly throw it all away. I don’t know why his team caring for his well being is a “laugh out loud” moment.

Now I’m not saying what happened to Griffin is any better, worse, or more significant than Joe from the trailer park at the end of town doing the same thing, but I think it shows that there mental health gets to be a big problem.

Like I mentioned, some on this site have done a good job of posting more an more about mental health, and those people realize that one of the biggest obstacles are the stigmas attached to it. If people think they’ll be received well and supported, they may seek help when there are early signs of trouble. If they think they’ll be mocked and ridiculed they may just go shoot up a school, theater, or otherwise harm someone.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

While true Dan, mental health is being used as an excuse for everything nowadays. And quite frankly people are afraid to call BS on it for fear of seeming insensitive.

I don’t know the situation nor care, but I don’t care how depressed you are or how many voices you got in your head, if any of them want to hurt others go lock yourself in a padded room until you figure your $hit out.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

What some people say: “Get’s to play a game for a living”.

Reality: “Worked his ass off his entire life to be one of the top 20 in the world at what he does.”

Do people think professional athletes just wake up one day and some fairy blesses them with a career in professional sports? A lot of these NFL players come from nothing and take on an extremely risky profession(both physically, mentally, and with little back-up plan).

And then the people that watch them on TV ridicule them for…being really good at something and getting paid a commensurate amount based on the revenue they generate?

Wondering why you don’t get paid millions of dollars? Probably because you personally don’t generate hundreds of millions of dollars for your employer? Pretty simple really.

This doesn’t excuse some of these guys when they do really stupid stuff a la AP, Ray Rice, etc. But hopefully we can get past the ‘gets to play a game for a living crap.’ If I was as good at my job as Everson Griffen is at his, I would make $1MM+ a year. If he was as good as me at his job….his career would have been over after a D3 college career.

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

Man this sucks for everyone. Hope he can get it figured out or that the reports are inaccurate.

blackbay

I don’t know the situation nor care, but I don’t care how depressed you are or how many voices you got in your head, if any of them want to hurt others go lock yourself in a padded room until you figure your $hit out.

Wow. Do you really think it works anything like that?

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

Or he was just really ticked off he lost his room key and ticked his celebrity status didn’t get him in the door no questions asked. Might have been on something or just said some stupid things in anger. Either way- if you or I had said that I don’t think the cops would just brush it off and tell you to stay in your room.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>nhamm wrote:</div>

Wow. Do you really think it works anything like that?

…the stigma continues.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

What some people say: “Get’s to play a game for a living”.
    Reality: “Worked his ass off his entire life to be one of the top 20 in the world at what he does.”

Do people think professional athletes just wake up one day and some fairy blesses them with a career in professional sports? A lot of these NFL players come from nothing and take on an extremely risky profession(both physically, mentally, and with little back-up plan).

Lol, okay guy. A lot of people work very hard all their lives to end up working at mcdonalds down the street too. I worked my tail off to get to where I am now (not that far) and these athletes get paid more in one game check than I do in an entire year.

A simple joke doesnt get past you! Thanks for correcting me though!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Your cookie is in the mail.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Just bc you work hard doesn’t mean you’re as valuable.

Reason they say work smart, not hard.

Took me to long to figure that out.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

No disrespect to you tbro, but millionaire or not, mental health is mental health

That is my apologies. I did not notice the mental health aspect, it is a big concern in todays world. Turns out he was on a 6 day coke bender, tweaked out, and some people were concerned for his well being and called the cops to protect him prior to the hotel incident as well. Scary

And aint that the truth nhamm!!

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Wondering why you don’t get paid millions of dollars? Probably because you personally don’t generate hundreds of millions of dollars for your employer? Pretty simple really.

So you are saying his team is losing hundreds of millions of dollars now with him not playing….

And horses lose hundreds of pounds during a race.. jester

I think we have an entry for the preposterous statement tournament rotflol rotflol rotflol

Karry Kyllo

Mental illness is a debilitating disease that many people don’t understand as evidenced above. I wish Everson the best and hope that everything goes well for him.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Like someone suffering depression or is at the state of hearing voices in their head can decide to lock themselves up?

If only it was that simple. Suggest that to them…

…then don’t act surprised when they’re found hanging from a noose in their basement.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Just bc you work hard doesn’t mean you’re as valuable.

Reason they say work smart, not hard.

Took me to long to figure that out.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

My foil hat just doesn’t want to fall off and see a typical big Corp coverup.

Mental health is a real issue, and it only pi$$es me off when it’s blamed for adults with temper tantrums.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Lol, okay guy. A lot of people work very hard all their lives to end up working at mcdonalds down the street too. I worked my tail off to get to where I am now (not that far) and these athletes get paid more in one game check than I do in an entire year.

A simple joke doesnt get past you! Thanks for correcting me though!

Seriously, how much revenue you personally generate for your business or your employer. Some skills are worth more than others unfortunately :(.

And I don’t doubt you worked hard, no one is trying to say that or belittle what you’ve done or accomplished, but it’s simple economics. As one of my high school teacher’s said, “I can work really hard and spend lots of time taking a crap, but at the end of the day, it’s still just a pile of poop.”

Your post was not ‘a joke’ at all. It is exactly how you feel, like many others, that somehow professional athletes just wake up one morning with piles of money on their bed and their mother walks in and says, “good news hunny, you get to play football for your job!!”.

We normal folk who make < $1MM / year are better off just appreciating their talent and enjoy watching them play the game, you will be a lot happier that way.

To lighten things up, here’s a video of Patrick Mahomes throwing a football 80 yards, which is pretty incredible.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/0ap3000000796984/Patrick-Mahomes-makes-80-yard-pass

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Your post was not ‘a joke’ at all. It is exactly how you feel, like many others, that somehow professional athletes just wake up one morning with piles of money on their bed and their mother walks in and says, “good news hunny, you get to play football for your job!!”.

I dont question how hard these people work, not at all. I’ve watched sports long enough to realize how great these athletes really are (and how terrible I was). Have a buddy trying to get onto the golf tour, I see how hard he has worked at it and how much he has sacrificed along the way (and no I dont want another cookie, pug). Insane how hard these guys work to get to where they are.

Not that i laugh or get joy from it, but its a joke to me to see how hard these people work all their lives just to screw it up with some off the field actions. Griffen has been arrested a few different times with assaults and DUIs in the past, thought maybe he’d start acting up or lay of the drugs. Especially with young kids at home. Frustrating to watch players urine their careers away with such stupid mistakes. But hey, Griffen is in the NFL so his actions off the field dont always matter.

Not that I am making an excuse for him, but mental health is absolutely a big concern with not just normal people like you and I, but these people that appear to have everything. Makes people do crazy things. D1 QB committed suicide last year. Kevin Love and Demar Derozan both came out with stories struggling with their own depression. Mac Miller is another recent death from it. Hell, I work in healthcare and had NO idea it has become as much of an issue as it has. Really opened my eyes.

Story over. Sorry I just wasted a few minutes of your work day. Maybe this is why none of us are personally worth hundreds of millions of dollars to our employers like Griffen is waytogo

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Not that i laugh or get joy from it, but its a joke to me to see how hard these people work all their lives just to screw it up with some off the field actions. Griffen has been arrested a few different times with assaults and DUIs in the past, thought maybe he’d start acting up or lay of the drugs. Especially with young kids at home. Frustrating to watch players urine their careers away with such stupid mistakes. But hey, Griffen is in the NFL so his actions off the field dont always matter.

I’m definitely with you on this part, it’s sad to see some of these guys throw talent and all their hard work. I have to imagine all the head trauma doesn’t help, but when guys beat their kids/girlfriends/etc.

I also imagine that being in the spotlight all the time and having that constant pressure to perform must wear you down, I wouldn’t know anything about dealing with that.

So yeah, some of those situations are probably a result of guys going through mental health issues and I hope they get help, but there are many other cases of guys just being terrible human beings or being stupid.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

I think we have an entry for the preposterous statement tournament rotflol rotflol rotflol

Alright, the plurality of that might be a stretch, but it’s not as preposterous as you think. Big time athletes absolutely have a huge impact on the value and revenue of an organization.

What happened when Lebron left Cleveland?
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe/2014/07/11/a-tale-of-two-franchise-values-how-lebrons-return-to-cleveland-impacts-cavaliers-heat/#7aade6575fdf

If the vikings lost cousins/griffen/smith/thielen/diggs and replaced them with practice squad players, they absolutely would lose A LOT of revenue and take a big hit on the worth of their franchise.

I mean, if he’s on a $60M contract, how much do you think the owners think he is worth to the franchise? I’d say it’s not a stretch that he’s worth $100M to the organization, which is about 2.5% of the net worth of the Vikings. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

Karry Kyllo

My foil hat just doesn’t want to fall off and see a typical big Corp coverup.

Mental health is a real issue, and it only pi$$es me off when it’s blamed for adults with temper tantrums.

Instead of your “lock them in a padded room” attitude and your obvious ignorance of mental illness, why not try showing some sympathy towards Everson and the others that are suffering from it? They aren’t ill by choice.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

So yeah, some of those situations are probably a result of guys going through mental health issues and I hope they get help, but there are many other cases of guys just being terrible human beings or being stupid.

Aint that the truth. And sometimes its left to media and fans to do nothing but speculate which one the problem is. Thats got to be the worst part about always being in the spotlight like that. Can only imagine the added stretch the player and their families experience for the rest of their lives. Nothing can ever just be personal anymore. Just like with everything else, some idiots can ruin it for everyone else!

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Good grief Karry my padded room comment was extremely sarcastic, what do you think I am retar…. Oops I did it again.

As I said my mental health awareness is just fine, curious to how you know for CERTAIN this is an ACTUAL mental health issue?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.