Baitcast Reel Suggestions????

• catcupl
    New Richmond, WI

I am wanting to get some opinions from some users of bait casting reels.

I just picked a used St Croix Premier 6’6″ MH Casting at a good price and looking for a reel for it. I have a similar rod with a Pflueger President and I really like that, but was hoping to maybe get by for a little less. Also have a ABU Revo on antoher set-up, but don’t have enough time on it to really know it. I generally prefer the low profile reels and will be throwing spinners and larger cranks with it, the rod is rated for 3/8 -1 oz.

I don’t have any experience with Daiwa’s, Quantum’s or Okuma’s in baitcasters, but I am open to consider any brand.

I am looking for a good valued reel at a reasonable price, say less than president ($150).

Thanks in advance for the info!

Jeff

theodorenugget
    Sugar Land, TX

Regarding Pflueger..I know your asking of baitcasts but check this out.. My experience is with the spinning reels. Between my brother and I.. we own 5 president spinning reels.

I was on the front deck in high winds. I lost my balance and all 200lbs of me came down onto my reel bending the heck out of the bail assembly. I called customer service, described my reel and what I had done. The rep found the part, quoted me $5.99 included $2.00 shipping. I asked her for quantity 2 for when I do it again. They took down my address, sent me the parts 5 days later with a bill included for $12.00. They actually sent me a bill.. didn’t even ask for payment up front… Out of many bills I get, it was the first one I paid. I liked the responsiveness.. plus who the heck bills anyone anymore ? It’s always payment up front.

July 20th I picked up the Pfluger Ecshelon for $60.00. Still in process of getting it broken in so no feedback yet.. Picked up a Quantum accurist earlier in the year – still working with that one too.. Have caught fish on both. I started cleaning & lubing every month on reels so hopefully will see some longevity out of all my stuff from now on, regardless if $60 or $200.

Good luck in the search !

John

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

I’ve been very happy with Gander Mountains Guide Series equipment… go with their top of the line model and you’ll get very good quality (made by the ‘brand name’ guys) at a significanly lower price…

phishirman
    Madison, WI

shimano citica…can’t go wrong for $120.00 I’ve had a couple for 2 years now and they get used ALOT and haven’t had any problems with em

redneckjr
    Rosemount, MN

I know that you said that you like the low profile and I think that they make one(not sure of how good it is), but I love the abu garcia ambassador series! A C3 is about $70 and hasn’t failed in the 10years we’ve had it.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Quantum’s Energy is an awesome reel, for that matter Id say most all of their reels are awesome. I own an Energy PT and an Accurist PT. My dad owns a Tour PT and an Energy PT. After using them for quite a while I don’t think either of use would ever consider anything different. Just stick w/ the ‘PT’ versions and you will be more than satisfied.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I would second the Shimano Citica!

bigdog10
    Waterloo, Iowa

Check out Bass Pro Shop for the Rick Clunn signature series baitcaster. Have several now and at a price of $100 they are an exceptional reel. Smooth, lots of power, low profile. By the way, get a BPS rod cover and low profile reel cover for your new gear. Extra $10 investment will keep it looking like new.

catcupl
    New Richmond, WI

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far. I appreciate the info and will start to do some shopping. If anyone else has an opinion or suggestion I would be happy to hear it.

Thanks Again!

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

I have been running a quatum accurist now for pretty much the entire summer, I really like the reel, I have caught alot of fish on them, I liked it so much I went out and baught another one. now I am looking at a revo, I am thinking that I am going to give one of them a try.

thanks

shane

uhlee1
    Dav. IA

I would highly recommend the C4 ABU. They are still made in Sweden and there are millions of them out there. Built like a brick $hithouse and they are 80-90$.

markmoran
    Rochester MN

I would highly reccommend the ABU Garcia Revo SC, its the red one and it is one fine machine! Bought mine before heading up north this year and I didn’t fish with much else, I would tie on a different lure instead of switching rods. It was that good!

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

3rd on the shimano citca. I don’t have one, but my friend does and it is a great reel!!! I own a shimano cruxis which I got off ebay for $82 SH including, and it is currently my favorite reel. It is amazing, very similar to the citica, and very atractive as well.

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

REVO if low profile or C2 or C4 if round for me both Abu Garcia.

impalapower
    Madison, WI

The current Citica or the out of circulation Curado. I was at Gander Madison, they had a new old style Curado. Wonder where that has been hiding?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.