Storage for soft plastics

• bigpike

What do you guys do to keep your plastic organized? When I was looking at Dustins boat this last fall I noticed he had his soft plastics in a tuperware type container. What was this Dustin? It seems they can get a little messy stuffing them in pockets in my softside. Any ideas would be greatfull!

glenn-walker
    Shakopee, MN

I use Plano tackle logic worm wraps. Plus I keep bags of extras so I can refill my worm wraps when I get low.

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

bigpike,

You’re right. I just use a big tuperware storage container that you can find at Shopko or any other retailer for that matter, that has a snap down lid. I keep all my Ringworms in one, Grubs in another, and Superdoos have their own container as well. I also have a 4th one with an assortment of shad body baits, and other plastics that don’t seem to get on my line as often as they used to.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

yeah.. this plastics is getting out hand!!… right now I have MOST of them in a cooler…. but its a combo of ringworms and superdoos… and then I have a bag full of shads, grubs and more superdoos…. what a mess!… I must have 10# of plastics!…. so I just tossed some in my old minnow bucket… cuz I dont have much use for minnows anymore….

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I was eyeing up your storage can of plastics on the river that day. It looked a step up from my plastic bag.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

at this rate I will have that 5 gallon bucket filled with plastics…. I guess its a sickness… just like Ive heard others report!….

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Decided to gather up all my bags of plastic baits this morning and find a better way of storing them. Was wondering about how they would do in the plano clear plastic trays. Do you think they will melt into the plastic. They do seem to fit in them real nice and it is nice to be able to pull out a tray and see all the different colors in it. Any thoughts?

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

If you have half a dozen favorite plastics that you like to use , then a plano type box should work just fine. This way you can view the color and type of plastic you want to use.

But…..

If your a plastic finatic like someone I know, you could just leave them in the zip loc or sandwich bag they came in , buy a rubbermaid tote and store them all in there…

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

Hi…
    my name is RiverEyes…. and I AM a plastiholic……

thumperw
    White Bear Lake, MN

Hey, Mike
    All of those Plano storage trays are “worm-proof”. I accidentally put it to the test last year – I tossed a couple ringworms in to the tray I was keeping some sinkers and hooks in, and left it in the trunk of my wife’s car pver the whole summer. When I found it that autumn, the insides were just a big blob, with hooks and sinkers glued togehter by the melted worms, but the tray and dividers were still in good shape and the worm-goo just peeled off.

That said, I picked up a couple of those worm folders. My favorite is the Extreme 2-Fold Tote I got from Cabelas about 6 years ago. It’s for anal-retentive organization nuts with seperate built-in zippered pockets. The drawback is that it only has 8 large zippered pockets and 4 small zippered pockets.

The other one I really like is the Plano Tackle Logic Tour bag. It somes a loose leaf 2-ring binder that comes with large and small zip-loc baggies that fit on the binders, and also some adhesive tabs that stick onto the sides of your PowerBait (or other mfgr) bags and fit onto the rings of the binder. It fits about a dozen bags or envelopes, more if they’re not stuffed full.

I think they both ran about $10 or so.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I guess the melting of the plastic baits is what I was most concerned about. What kinda heat will they stand up to. I would believe a day with the sun beating down on them in the clear plastic containers would be rough. I have a blue soft sided tackle box for them. Do you guys think they would hold up in there?
    Hang in there Rivereyes. There are alot worse things to be addicted to. Like minnows

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

As long as I keep my plastics out of any source of heat magnification, they seem to do just fine………..and I’ve got plastic tote after plastic tote! I use tackle box lids, plano clear totes/containers, original baggies, plastic organizer sleeves…………….I’ve got a lot of trial and error and the ONLY time I’ve run into touble yet is getting them in the sun. If you have no choice, just pop the top so the air can get in and help keep it cooled down. A soft sided tackle box, regardless of color, has been a wonderful experience for me and my plastics!

JoeDuck

I had the same problem string plastics until I found a bag made just for this purpose at cabela,s. The bag is made by Denny Braer and is made just for plastics they have super duty zip lock bags that you can veiw the baits that are on a clip that allows you to turn to the bait you want. I LOVE MY PLASTICS so I have one big bag for power baits etc and a small bag each for ring worms and doos

george
    se mn

I use a softsider tackle box made by plano it has 8 3700 boxes that I have labeled worms,crayfish.grubs&shad,lizards,
    floating worms and lizard.you also get a smaller bag free that holds 4 3700 boxes.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

James gave me the idea to store my seperate plastics in ziplock bags and keep them in a large clear top Plano storage box.(any utility box will do),That way the scent and colors don’t corrupt(?)each other. He seperates his jigs the same way by size and color.

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

Stop pissing with the logic bags and such.. If you are a real fisherman you will quickly notice that your small storage devices are no use. Get yourself some of the tubs. The guys are right on here. Try to find some that are about the size of the packages your baits come in and use them. Many are clear so they are easy to use and keep maintained. I have fought this battle and lost. The tubs are the only way to go.
    Small neat pretty little boxes are for Gurley men. –grin-
    Jc

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

The tubs are the way to go for plastic finatics. I got one for tubes, one for ringworms, one for K-grubs, one for doos, so on!! I am quickly finding that Ranger does not make enough room in a boat or I got too much crap in the boat. But I decide its better to have too much than not enough.
    Target sells all kinds of various rubbermaid containers with good lids on them for rough water abuse. I picked a couple more up the other night again. Cheapest tackle box I have ever boughten! $3.50-$4.00 range.

ted-merdan

hey now – don’t blame the boat for your addiction!

step one for recovery is…

ted

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

“boughten?”…lol

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Ted,

You are starting to sound like my conservation officer at home, only her version of recovery would be far from my first step to rehab thoughts!

Could not be happier with the boat! Maybe its time for liquidation sale?

ted-merdan

Steve

I just want to be there for the sale – need to spend this severance package some how…

ted

Art

Anybody try where put them where my wife said? Might be a new scent.

sednerb
    Mount Vernon, IA

Art,
    If you stored them there, would you call them superdoos, or superpoos? Either way its definately a place where the sun don’t shine on them.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

James,

Didn’t know “boughten” was such a universal word did ya?
    This is a word you just insert when you have a brain fart and all proper wording goes out the window.

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Brain farts, super poos, stick em where the sun don,t shine— you gentlemen sure seem to be predisposed to scatiogical humour. I think some in depth therapy may be in order.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Can you actually carry a conversation in Alma using those words??? Scatiogical? LOL! Where’s my dictionary?

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Scatological- 1: interest in or treatment of obscene matters esp. in literature. 2: the bioloical study of excrement. Your right Kid sometimes a conversation with someone who has an adequate comand of the kings english can be difficult to come by.

jeffsedlmayr
    Wisconsin

yep that is why comand is spelled command with 2 m’s

dinosaur
    South St. Paul, Mn.

Gee , maybe next year the schools can teach Capitalization , Punctuation and Grammar. LOL
    Dino

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.