Fortrex vs. Terrova

• Palerider77

One of these will be going on the new boat, which will be a 20′ tiller to be named later. Will have a vantage on the back, and will be a 36v system. I currently have a power drive with I pilot on my boat and really miss having a foot pedal. Is the faster and silent steering worth not having Ipilot? I see that most tourney boats have the fortrex. All and any experience would be helpful.

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

I switched from a Maxxum to Terrova. It was one of the best changes I have made on my boat. I wish I hadn’t waited so long to make the change.

What I like best is being able to control the TM from any location in the boat. I also like it for trolling. I lock down my main motor and steer using the TM. I can leave the main motor to land fish, change baits or grab a sandwich knowing the boat will hold it’s course.

Most of your decision will be based on your style of fishing. If your a guy pitching jigs most of the time, maybe the Fortrex would be a better way to go.

woodenfish
    st.croix valley

I bought a new big tiller last spring and have the vantage on the back and a fortrex on the bow and absolutely love it. The fortrex is sweet!

jim-bailey
    Clinton County Iowa

I went from a cable steer to Terrova with ipilot and wouldn’t change back for anything. It’s the best addition to my boat I have done.

skeeterbite
    illinois

I went from a maxuum to terrova and i have NO regrets.I can use my foot pedal or use the remote anywhere in the boat. The terrova lets me fish instead of worrying about steering the boat. I am more than happy with my decission to UPGRADE to my terrova.Just one mans opionion.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

I’m not tournament guy, but I will never give up my iPilot. It has simply changed the way I fish. Spot Lock, auto pilot and cruise control are invaluable to me. Terrova for me

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Quote:

I’m not tournament guy, but I will never give up my iPilot. It has simply changed the way I fish. Spot Lock, auto pilot and cruise control are invaluable to me. Terrova for me

same here. Miss the instant steering of a cable steer, but I’m getting more used to the steering delay of the terrova the more I use it.

wes_bergemann
    Crystal, MN

Quote:

I see that most tourney boats have the fortrex. All and any experience would be helpful.

I know of some tourney guys that have used the i-pilot to their advantage. And I am guessing that Dan Steir used the i-pilot to his advantage for the FLW championship win. If he would have drifted off of the small area he was on while putting a fish in the live well, Skarlis would have been right in on the spot.

I have had both and was torn between the two until I added the I-pilot.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Is the faster and silent steering worth not having Ipilot? I see that most tourney boats have the fortrex. All and any experience would be helpful.

I guess it’s all personal preference. I will never have a boat without I-Pilot again. Of course I’ve always hated cable drive.

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

Quote:

One of these will be going on the new boat, which will be a 20′ tiller to be named later. Will have a vantage on the back, and will be a 36v system. I currently have a power drive with I pilot on my boat and really miss having a foot pedal. Is the faster and silent steering worth not having Ipilot? I see that most tourney boats have the fortrex. All and any experience would be helpful.

I would personaly go with the terrova and i-pilot.

One thing that hasnt been mentioned or people are overlooking is that with terrova and i-pilot you CAN still use the foot pedal and the remote. With the power drive it is one or the other.
    Just thought I would make sure you knew that!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.