defunding the police force

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Applying all laws equally would set us in the right path.

Deuces

defunding the police is about

Well mpls has plenty of reasons to keep police still, violent ones. And trust me, these euphoric CMs will realize once one of those social worker drug folks get stabbed by a crackhead, or a homeless guy sticks the worker trying to get him to shelter, or mentally challenged person goes ape$hit and takes out 2 workers the police will be right back where they started, dealing with the crap noone else wants to.

“Defund the police” is about the dumbest slogan one could have for what they’re trying to accomplish. And we are seeing the criminal activity spike in direct relation to it, epic failure.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>joe-winter wrote:</div>
    patrolling all neighborhoods equally.

I don’t even know how that makes sense in your thought processing.

Equality would be the same response when a doc in edina gets shot to some person in N Mpls getting shot.

I drive all around the cities for work, and live fairly close to robbinsdale. Visible policemen/women everywhere, very little when it comes to my hood. Yet they are there supposedly?

I said “maybe”. i am sure you would know more than me. I don’t live anywhere close to this quality habitat. I just assumed that the cops would normally be where the crime is happening in the past. Remember the cops are being told they were doing it wrong… So I assume the reform is that they should NOT stay where they “judge” the crime to be. but to disperse equally into other areas.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Reef Whooligan wrote:</div>
    defunding the police is about

Well mpls has plenty of reasons to keep police still, violent ones. And trust me, these euphoric CMs will realize once one of those social worker drug folks get stabbed by a crackhead, or a homeless guy sticks the worker trying to get him to shelter, or mentally challenged person goes ape$hit and takes out 2 workers the police will be right back where they started, dealing with the crap noone else wants to.

“Defund the police” is about the dumbest slogan one could have for what they’re trying to accomplish. And we are seeing the criminal activity spike in direct relation to it, epic failure.

Yep. From the outside looking in, nothing will get better until that council is replaced with qualified candidates. Their world view doesn’t allow them to see any other cause other than police are THE problem. I have a stepdaughter and her husband who recently purchased in the north loop and am worried what their future in Mpls looks like. Frustrating.

Deuces

I wouldn’t be too worried there joe as long as the area survives this covid shutdown garbage, and floyd protest round 2 riot and burn. That’s fairly close to downtown and the business districts have strong allies in state politics at all levels. Too much investment around there last decade to go to waste.

If you’re a city person that certainly would be the place to live.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I think they should put the Defunding police to a vote in both Minneapolis and Saint Paul. My guess is a lot of the residents who say they are all for it would not step up and vote to have it done. If the majority of the residents are in favor of it and voted to do it, I’d say go for it. Once all the major businesses pulled out of the city it would look worse than Detroit city in a short time. After that I doubt a resident could give their house away, little less sell it.

Beast

We use to go to the cities for major purchases, we even lived in Cottage Grove for 5 years.from what we’re seeing on the media, you couldn’t pay me to go to the cites anymore for anything. In my opinion the twin cities are on the road to becoming another Chicago.We are a people and land of laws, you don’t like the law, change it legally, but until then enforce it to the letter and to the fullest extent.
    there is basically 3 types of people in this augment, The sheep, the sheepdog and the wolves.the sheep don’t want the sheepdog around because they are afraid of them and don’t fully trust the sheepdog, until the wolves come and start tearing the flock of sheep apart, then and only then will they run to the sheepdog for protection.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

I wouldn’t be too worried there joe as long as the area survives this covid shutdown garbage, and floyd protest round 2 riot and burn. That’s fairly close to downtown and the business districts have strong allies in state politics at all levels. Too much investment around there last decade to go to waste.

If you’re a city person that certainly would be the place to live.

Good Luck to ya up there. Not a place for me.

Deuces

I think they should put the Defunding police to a vote in both Minneapolis and Saint Paul.

They were going to have it on the ballot this November, city council pulled that idea, but it was there when things were “hot”. Think many of them realized it would’ve been miserable failure and then there goes they’re chances on doing what they wanted. Who knows, with the white guilt ridden folks around here it may have passed.

I blame all those yuppy Southsiders around @mdmoen hood. In my hood the rift raft just don’t vote grin

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

As a North Mpls resident I personally do not like it. Best way to prevent flying bullets are jobs. I don’t care how euphoric the new community protections are, if there isn’t anything to fix the poverty and crazy amounts of social programs that encourage laziness nothing will be solved. Nothing.

White guilt is so thick around here its blinding people to the facts. Systemic racism is real and a lot of things need to change, but there is some simple math here that’s being overlooked.

This is the best post I have seen about this whole topic since it started months ago. I’m a firm supporter of the police as I work hand in hand with them and I can say if there is no police, there is no EMS or Fire. You saw that play out with the riots.

MrBeads hit the nail on the head here. What makes me angry is with all the blame on the police the city council gets off scott free in their inability to create any sort of real support structure for the schools in the city, the single parent families in the city, after school programs to keep kids off the streets, job placement/help, any of that. Is it simple? No. But the only way to fix this whole issue is to keep people busy and off the streets.

I’m not talking handouts, because that’s why we are where we are. But real, honest, support, for the people that really will benefit from it.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Jobs fix most ills in this county. Create jobs, cut programs. Work, starve or move.

Beast

Jobs fix most ills in this county. Create jobs, cut programs. Work, starve or move.

I think we were on the right track before this stupid virus crap hit the country.
    Local paper was full of help wanted adds earlier this year.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

They were going to have it on the ballot this November, city council pulled that idea,

It wasn’t the city council that pulled it, the city commissioners did stating they didn’t have any sort of clear plan to replace the police. The city council still wanted the vote.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

It wasn’t the city council that pulled it, the city commissioners did stating they didn’t have any sort of clear plan to replace the police. The city council still wanted the vote.

Wasn’t it the charter commission? They needed approval to amend the city charter before it could go on the ballot I thought.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Defunding the police, it’s not a unique idea. I’m pretty sure the Taliban would be in favor of defunding the the United States armed forces as well.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>

Wasn’t it the charter commission? They needed approval to amend the city charter before it could go on the ballot I thought.

Yes. My mistake. Charter Commission.

Viewing 17 posts - 151 through 167 (of 167 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.