defunding the police force

• Beast

Thought it should have it’s own thread.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Anyone see Frey at a protest and they shut him down and told him to leave and they would not vote for him next year when he said he does not believe in abolishing the department. Was funny

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Anyone see Frey at a protest and they shut him down and told him to leave and they would not vote for him next year when he said he does not believe in abolishing the department. Was funny

I saw it. Real classy by the crowd and the leader using profanity in his face too. He took that walk of shame pretty well though, slowly left and never said a word to anyone.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Yes Beast, good for you to just take matters into your own hands. I’ve seen many threads veer off topic, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen one that went that far off the rails.

I suppose now that I’ve walked through the door to this thread, might just as well comment.

I believe Matt Moen commented a couple times about living in Minneapolis and that he and his family were happy there (until now).

I lived in NE Minneapolis for over 10 years and it was delightful. I worked downtown and the commute from NE was a short convenient bus ride thus avoiding the metro traffic commute nightmare. Parks, shopping, bars/restaurants were either right out my door or nearby.

I had Viking season tickets for a number of years and I could get down there and be parked 15 minutes after leaving my home.

Circumstances changed and I moved up to Coon Rapids about 4 years ago and have now recently moved to Garrison, far removed from the turbulence recently happening in the city.

It’s just plain sad now, with the direction it had been going and now what I see as a continued downward spiral, I would never live there again and find myself thankful to look out at a beautiful lake instead of burning buildings.

Mille Lacs is only 120 miles from the metro, but it feels now like being on another planet. Peace and quiet.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

On one hand the entire mpls city council appears to be a freak show. On the other hand I am curious to see what happens there without local police. Seems ridiculous.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I don’t believe that any major city or suburb in this country is capable of operating safely without some kind of law enforcement. There simply can’t “not” be any police. I can only imagine how many more laws would be broken on a daily basis and how chaotic cities would be without at least some law and order. Home and business owners would take matters into their own hands, which could turn out even worse than it is now. Property values would plummet.

Would you go without a fire department or a paramedic? No, you wouldn’t. Going without any police dept treads you down that very same path. No one to put out fires or respond to health emergencies.

Don’t get me wrong here, I do believe that the Mpls Police Dept needs serious reform. But simply abolishing it all together is not the solution.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Nothing good ever came out of making decisions out of fear and emotion.

basseyes

Keep making left hand turns and keep going in circles.

Beast

It’s not my state, so it’s not my circus, I did see a proposal for unarmed cops to patrol, can’t see anyone volunteering for that suicide job
    also seen where other police departments wouldn’t come to the aid of MPLS if they defund
    also read somewhere of using Social workers somehow as part of the force.
    My opinion is this is going to turn into a cash cow for someone. The social justice warriors are going to be telling everyone how to run the show and play with the safety of the community.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I have to wonder..
    – Would the NFL play games in a city with no police force?
    – Would MLB, NCAA, MLS play games in a city with no police force?
    – Would the Sports show or anyone else that used to be at the Convention Center show up in a city without a police force?
    – Would you send your daughter to a university in a city without a police force?

This seems to be a formula for financial disaster, in a city that is already a financial disaster.

SR

bigpike

Inherently 10% of any organization is bad. Vet all you want, bad people will slip through and then make poor decisions. Or people going through major home life issues taking the baggage to work and making bad choices. If riots start every time a cop does something wrong for whatever reason then we might as well get rid of law enforcement and go with vigilantes. Seems like the twin cities is as good a place to try the experiment as any.

Obviously I think police are necessary.

I would, however, like to point out a weird inconsistency in this conversation.

People: Minneapolis is spiraling downhill. I wouldn’t live there and it is basically a lawless hell hole.

City: maybe we should rethink how we are doing things

Same people: you can’t do that! Nobody will want to live there and it will turn into a lawless hell hole!!!!!

Nice Fella

It’s not your state – yet. This has already spilled over to others.
    I think the end game in this is to revoke police union contracts that provide what some see as unreasonable legal protections for officers, (not talking about pay or benefits).

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

“Defunding the police” has no specific definition. It is a meaningless catch-phrase like “cleaning up Washington”, or “cutting wasteful spending”. There is no use debating it, because “it” has a million different meanings.

The African American community is very rightly angry and in times like this they want to hear tough talk from their leaders. None of the Trump supporters had anything bad to say about their president’s tough talk about sending in the US Army to restore law and order (another buzzphrase). This is no different, all tough talk to whip up the base.

The idea is that repurposing law enforcement budget toward social services will bring about a drop in crime. The problem is that at best this is a very, very complex, long term fix in a world that values only quickie slick easy fixes.

Grouse

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

People: Minneapolis is spiraling downhill. I wouldn’t live there and it is basically a lawless hell hole.

Well…no. It was not previously a lawless hell hole. Recent events perhaps have changed the city’s direction forever.

The relaxing or removal of law enforcement is what will contribute most to the downhill spiral.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Go ahead and let them Defund and Dismantle the policy. Every legitmate business will leave the city. The place will end up looking like the movie Escape from NY or Robo Cop. I doubt EMS or Fire Dept’s would enjoy responding to calls if there was no police presence in the city. I feel bad for anyone who owns a home in the city – Their property value would fall to almost nothing. If this does happen, The city council members should be forced to live within the city. I’m curious where each of the current city council members are living currently? I believe a move of this size should or would require a Vote by all citizens living in the city. Unlike the city council members I think most citizens are smart enough to know how this will end up, and will end up not voting for it.

Deuces

On one hand the entire mpls city council appears to be a freak show. On the other hand I am curious to see what happens there without local police. Seems ridiculous.

Freak show? Seriously? This is literally hate speech.

These city council people are not dumb, maybe puke rainbows and naïve but not dumb. They wont let the land go lawless.

As a North Mpls resident I personally do not like it. Best way to prevent flying bullets are jobs. I don’t care how euphoric the new community protections are, if there isn’t anything to fix the poverty and crazy amounts of social programs that encourage laziness nothing will be solved. Nothing.

White guilt is so thick around here its blinding people to the facts. Systemic racism is real and a lot of things need to change, but there is some simple math here that’s being overlooked.

Beast

It’s not your state – yet. This has already spilled over to others.
    I think the end game in this is to revoke police union contracts that provide what some see as unreasonable legal protections for officers, (not talking about pay or benefits).

so far this BS hasn’t spread to here, hope it doesn’t.

Reef W

The MPD is a specific organization. Disbanding them or defunding them doesn’t mean there are no more police in Minneapolis. A surprising amount of people don’t seem to understand this. They can fire everybody in the MPD and create the Minneapolis Public Safety Department or whatever and hire back the “good ones” under a new contract.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Was the looting and burning of buildings not enough of a example of what happens where there is not enough police or other enforcement presence. I know it hard for some people to understand – But there are people out there who will not behave without the use of force. Would it be a beautiful place in we lived in a world where no force was needed anywhere – Yes !!! but that simply is not the world we live in. If we are going to remove all of the professions where there are a few bad people, Then we can do away with politicians, Doctors, professional athlete’s, Fire fighters, accountant’s, Teachers, fishing and hunting guide’s, Ect, Ect, Ect.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

The MPD is a specific organization. Disbanding them or defunding them doesn’t mean there are no more police in Minneapolis. A surprising amount of people don’t seem to understand this. They can fire everybody in the MPD and create the Minneapolis Public Safety Department or whatever and hire back the “good ones” under a new contract.

So you are saying its not possible to just get rid of the bad ones that are there now ???? I don’t understand how changing the name and doing a new contract is going to be the answer.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

It’s not my state, so it’s not my circus, I did see a proposal for unarmed cops to patrol, can’t see anyone volunteering for that suicide job
    also seen where other police departments wouldn’t come to the aid of MPLS if they defund
    My opinion is this is going to turn into a cash cow for someone. The social justice warriors are going to be telling everyone how to run the show and play with the safety of the community.

Once they have unarmed cops that will be their perfect transition to disarming citizens. If cops cant have guns then we cant…….

Beast

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Beast wrote:</div>

Once they have unarmed cops that will be their perfect transition to disarming citizens. If cops cant have guns then we cant…….

and that would be going against the Constitution.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>suzuki wrote:</div>

Freak show? Seriously? This is literally hate speech.

Would you prefer unhinged? Mentally imbalanced? Abnormal? Maybe its as simple as cowardice?
    At least nine of them anyways.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>suzuki wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Beast wrote:</div>

and that would be going against the Constitution.

“they” dont care about the Constitution. As a document I am quite certain “they” hate it or at the very least have no respect for it.

Reef W

So you are saying its not possible to just get rid of the bad ones that are there now ????

Apparently not, look what keeps happening. Do you think that’s just never been tried before?

Beast

“they” dont care about the Constitution. As a document I am quite certain “they” hate it or at the very least have no respect for it.
    [/quote]
    I’m fully aware of that, But I think if they tried there would be a total collapse of this country and bloodshed like never seen And they would be the Rebels that they use as a platform today.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Was the looting and burning of buildings not enough of a example of what happens where there is not enough police or other enforcement presence. I know it hard for some people to understand – But there are people out there who will not behave without the use of force.

This is what I was thinking too the second I heard “defund the police.”

eyefishwalleye
    Central MN

Best protest argument was the lady yelling at Frey we don’t want the police because we don’t want people carrying guns in our community? Guess she overlooked the thugs, drug dealers and gangs… I’m sure they will all voluntarily disarm in the name of peace coffee

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 167 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.