defunding the police force

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Looks like Seattle tied the hands of their police force and so far things are going very well for them. If thats what mpls wants have at it.

Any trips to “chaz” planned this year? LOL

big_g
    Isle, MN

London no go zones are debunked on numerous websites.

Seattle maps of one night of unrest and now all of a sudden it’s chaos everywhere? Seriously, where do you guys come up with this stuff?

You both sound like my teen kid who I argue on the daily with bc of the horrendously erroneous news stories she tries to bring up but on the other side of aisle.

Your kids smartness seems to be showing rotflol

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

All of this change being demanded by protesters has to have another side to it. Just what are these people willing to do to make any change effective. All this gimmme. gimmme, gimmme crap doesn’t work. I’d like to know exactly what the residents of Minneapolis are going to contribute to manage the issues. I’m certainly not in any way shape or form in favor of the police being able to do to someone that was done to Floyd, but I am whole-heartedly of the belief that if one doesn’t want to have any unfavorable experience with the police, don’t do things that draw their attention to YOU and that goes for any color of hide one has. Don’t break the law and you’ll live a lot longer. The police didn’t just decide to go have an issue with Floyd, his actions elicited a call that brought them to him. All of this protest crap fails to see that FACT!

One thing I saw in the so-called peaceful protests in Minneapolis is that these “peaceful” parties did nothing to try and keep the prick portion of it in check. They know who was starting problems and when things began to fall apart many of these so-called peaceful protesters became part of the frenzy including arson, looting and rioting. I’d have a much better opinion of the whole protest thing had I seen these people who wanted to try and make a peaceful point turn and rally to get the outsiders out of their intended point making.

That Minneapolis council and protesters can’t see the forest for thee trees.

chuck koopman

the people that want to remove the police force, are the same that want to ban guns.there not living in a real world.
    and first to cry ,when there house gets robbed .

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Tom, right on point. 20% of the population want more rights, not equal rights. Enough is enough!

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

was nice and quiet around here for almost a month. was enjoying the commodore.

Enjoy the bickering and name calling that’s soon to begin again

Deuces

While there are less officers and some funds have been reallocated the Chief said they are still fully staffed. So he says.

There is less police presence around northside. That’s just a fact. I passed by that shooting Monday. That night there were handful of other shooting incidents within earshot. Several in that 24hrs.

Philippe is in over his head, let’s be honest, the circumstances surrounding this year makes it an incredible task to try and control but the council as a whole is a miserable a$$ failure.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

The issues going on and the talk of defunding has everyone jumping ship. They have lost 100 cops so far this year, double a normal year, and I would bet it will be harder to replace them. A person on the council board was on this morning commenting on how the ones that were all about the defunding are quiet now.

Reef W

The only “defunding” that has been done in Minneapolis so far was moving $1.1 million to the Health Department out of a $193 million police budget. That’s a half percent coffee

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

The only “defunding” that has been done in Minneapolis so far was moving $1.1 million to the Health Department out of a $193 million police budget. That’s a half percent coffee

Doesn’t matter if they defunded the dept or not. The declaration clearly means the City Council does not have your back.

How would you like to go to work every day knowing your boss does not have your back? Looking for ways to cut you down at every opportunity. It’s a damn shame. chased

-J.

Reef W

How would you like to go to work every day knowing your boss does not have your back? Looking for ways to cut you down at every opportunity. It’s a damn shame.

If I just stopped doing my job I wouldn’t have it anymore.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

That is a ridicules statement. You should be ashamed.

-J.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

While I do think that the police dept needs reform, I don’t blame them for defiance or leaving or retiring early. Morale has to be super low right now. This is what people wanted, now they have to deal with the consequences. Send in more social workers.

Deuces

While I do think that the police dept needs reform, I don’t blame them for defiance or leaving or retiring early. Morale has to be super low right now. This is what people wanted, now they have to deal with the consequences. Send in more social workers.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Reef Whooligan wrote:</div>

That is a ridicules statement. You should be ashamed.

-J.

Jon pls expand on your thought here. As I said, I live by the worst of it, and it’s fact there are less police around and good luck having them show up to anything under a murder.

Gimruis, it’s not what the majority of people wanted. Plenty of folks who thought it was a stupid idea and that’s many of the black elders I speak with around me and activists right now speaking up against it on news channels. These CMs did what they themselves wanted, progressive crap ideas.

McCloud

This council and it’s Mayor have set the political ineptness bar high. They will go down in History as the epidemy of failure on how to fail your constituency.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Gimruis, it’s not what the majority of people wanted. Plenty of folks who thought it was a stupid idea and that’s many of the black elders I speak with around me and activists right now speaking up against it on news channels. These CMs did what they themselves wanted, progressive crap ideas.

Well that’s good. Maybe its time to vote the council members out if the majority doesn’t agree with what they’re doing.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Jon pls expand on your thought here. As I said, I live by the worst of it, and it’s fact there are less police around and good luck having them show up to anything under a murder.

When you are not given the resources you need to success at your job, you are bound to fail at it. Or in this case the resources you need are taken away.

-J.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Mr.Beads wrote:</div>

When you are not given the resources you need to success at your job, you are bound to fail at it. Or in this case the resources you need are taken away.

-J.

I realized the police budget is much larger, but this statement from the story caught my eye. “Recently, the council took more than $1 million from the police budget to hire “violence interrupters” to intervene and defuse potentially violent confrontations.”

Deuces

And with a budget of 185 million I’ll let you guys do the math on how much 1 mill is.

100 cops short yes, but the Chief reallocated resources, idk wtf that means but he says they are running at normal strength. Does it need to get bumped up absolutely, more funds, absolutely. I’m a pretty big pro cop citizen, but have been seeing a trend since this junk started and it’s just not right IMO to put us citizens at risk bc as an officer you might have to rechange the way you do your job.

Just one man’s opinion who lives here in N mpls. It’s a tough situation for all involved, can’t imagine being a cop right now. That duluth cop story posted while back said it all.

Reef W

-J.

Are you talking about the 0.5% of their budget or the warm fuzzies of their boss having their back?

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jon Jordan wrote:</div>

-J.

Are you talking about the 0.5% of their budget or the warm fuzzies of their boss having their back?

The chief wanted 400 more officers back in July 2019. What does he get? A budget cut. No leadership. Nice.

http://www.mprnews.org/story/2019/07/18/mpls-chief-wants-400-more-officers

-J.

Deuces

To add to that Jon the council could’ve applied last year for federal aid to supplement the police force, think it covered close to half those officers, don’t quote me on that number tho. It was substantial.

They chose not to, why bc they were waiting for a study to come back to see if it was really needed. Moronic doesn’t seem to describe them.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

maybe the reform is not “judging” certain neighborhoods. so you have cops patrolling all neighborhoods equally. Maybe this is what happens when there is no ‘judging”? Is there any similarities with the victims, criminals or neighborhoods that these crimes are happening in?

If I were a cop now. I would be doing it equally with all citizens and when people ask where you are I would say here, here and here. protecting those people the same without favoritism to certain neighborhoods. we want equality right? be careful what you wish for.

Reef W

The chief wanted 400 more officers back in July 2019. What does he get? A budget cut. No leadership. Nice.

-J.

First the miniscule budget cut didn’t matter, it was their boss not having their backs. Then it was some “resource” being taken away. And what was taken away was not getting the officers they wanted by 2025… in 2020 ???

It is a good article though, thanks for posting it. What I found most interesting was the last paragraph that said:

Arradondo said officers are spread too thin, and are increasingly having to deal with the results of social problems including drug abuse and homelessness.

Funding people to deal with things like that, so the police don’t have to, is exactly what defunding the police is about. If the police didn’t need to deal with those issues then they wouldn’t be spread too thin.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

People always ask for more than they need, they ask for 400 maybe they would be ok with 300 (just putting a number out there for reference)…but instead of getting any the lose 100…I feel for the ones still there, they must be working a ton of OT and getting burned out, not good when you have to always be bringing your A game or someone could lose their life. They also said a lot (several hundred) applied for medical leave, maybe mental stress, not sure….bad deal all the way around. They need help, training but doesn’t look like they will get it….thongs will get worse before they get better if something isn’t done soon.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jon Jordan wrote:</div>

-J.

First the miniscule budget cut didn’t matter, it was their boss not having their backs. Then it was some “resource” being taken away. And what was taken away was not getting the officers they wanted by 2025… in 2020 ???

It is a good article though, thanks for posting it. What I found most interesting was the last paragraph that said:

Arradondo said officers are spread too thin, and are increasingly having to deal with the results of social problems including drug abuse and homelessness.

Funding people to deal with things like that, so the police don’t have to, is exactly what defunding the police is about. If the police didn’t need to deal with those issues then they wouldn’t be spread too thin.

Good point, a friend of mine is a fireman in one of the city burbs, he spends his day doing nothing related to fires, mostly people call to help people carry stuff into their house and other stuff you wouldn’t believe. The chief says to go on the calls, he wants the people happy. I asked what happens when he is off on one of these tasks and there is a fire…..less people to go.

Deuces

patrolling all neighborhoods equally.

I don’t even know how that makes sense in your thought processing.

Equality would be the same response when a doc in edina gets shot to some person in N Mpls getting shot.

I drive all around the cities for work, and live fairly close to robbinsdale. Visible policemen/women everywhere, very little when it comes to my hood. Yet they are there supposedly?

Viewing 30 posts - 121 through 150 (of 167 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.