Deer minerals

• StrungOut

Yall ever wondered which kind of minerals deer prefer? Or what the difference is between each brand? We’ve got some interesting information here for you regarding minerals. When, how, and why deer use minerals. We’re brand new to the YOUTUBE scene and just launching our first of weekly videos. Please like, share and subscribe, as we really need the hunting communities support. Look forward to seeing yall around

Thanks in advance, Strung Out Outdoors

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIuUWidxZeK2dlFbcj8S6Aw

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

To many guys using the forum as advertising for their own gains. Like, share, subscribe….like, share, subscribe….like, share, subscribe…… When you join one day ago, then post a you tube video, then respond with, “tough crowd” in the same day….umm, yah. I can’t speak for everyone, but I’m not into it.

riverruns
    Inactive

I’ll experiment on my own and not go for the click here advertisement. Thanks though and good luck.

basseyes

Have been using plain mineral blocks for over a decade and put them on stumps. I know, oh the horror of a simple, cheap, cattle block. Have heard and read about how terrible a simple, cheap meant for cattle block is. But our deer use them pretty much daily from March to November. Are they as good as getting the perfect mixture of minerals, not a chance. But they are simple, cheap and work great for what I want them for, tcam observation. Minerals haven’t really been proven scientifically to do anything for antler growth through a long term research study. We all know they probably help with overall health to some degree, which over time if done regularly boost health, but genetics, geographical location, hunting pressure, management and regulations probably play a way bigger role. The hype to spend a lot of money on flavored, over priced salt is idiotic. To use a formulated bagged mineral mixture is far better than anything bought with a picture of a buck on it in a retail store.

Watched the video and all be it interesting, there wasn’t a lot of meat or protein there for guys who already fart around with management, be it plots, supplemental feeding, management practices or mineral supplementation.

Hoyt4
    NULL

Been use the deer mineral that was posted on here years ago. Still only cost $26 for 200lbs of mineral. Now have many others using this mineral and the deer love it. Pictures have doubled if not tripled off it depending on which property.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Tough crowd here, huh

Might need to work on your PR skills here buddy. Fail.

holmsvc
    SE ND

Been use the deer mineral that was posted on here years ago. Still only cost $26 for 200lbs of mineral. Now have many others using this mineral and the deer love it. Pictures have doubled if not tripled off it depending on which property.

What mineral is that?

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Here it is, prices may be a little higher now. This is from 2011

WHITETAIL DEER HOMEMADE MINERAL MIX RECIPE
    Ingredients: Makes 200 lbs. for about $23.00
    1 part Di-calcium phosphate, this is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores.
    Comes in 50lb Bags at around $11.00 you need one bag.
    2 parts Trace mineral salt, the red and loos kind without the medications.
    Comes in 50lb Bags at around $5.00 you need two bags.
    1 part Stock salt, ice cream salt.
    Comes in 50lb Bags at around $2.00 you need one bag.

mix one coffee can di cal, 2 coffee cans trace mineral, one coffee can stock salt into your mineral spot and mix into soil.

Pete S

hunting primarily in CWD zones in WI and having 2 of 3 bucks we harvested test positive last year, mineral is part of the problem imo. yes I realize it is banned but I wouldn’t go near it anymore. cwd, coming to a county near you…if it’s not already there

sorry yall

Hoyt4
    NULL

Sticker has the mineral. Now the price is $26 for 200lbs. Picked up at River country Cooperative in Miesville MN.

Hoyt4
    NULL

The Di-calcium is the spendy part at Fleet or tractor supply. I just found it cheaper to go to the coop. I think it’s $28 just for the Di-calcium at the big stores. You can get the entire recipe for less at the Coop.

StrungOut

Its not like this is asking you to buy anything. Jesus, this is a hunting community, since when do people get bothered by someone sharing information within the same hobby? How else do up and comers like me get started? I guess I shouldn’t try and just let big money corner the market with their 30 mins of advertising for 5 mins of a hunting show.

Thanks for the support man

rubberduck
    east bethel

Here it is, prices may be a little higher now. This is from 2011

WHITETAIL DEER HOMEMADE MINERAL MIX RECIPE
    Ingredients: Makes 200 lbs. for about $23.00
    1 part Di-calcium phosphate, this is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores.
    Comes in 50lb Bags at around $11.00 you need one bag.
    2 parts Trace mineral salt, the red and loos kind without the medications.
    Comes in 50lb Bags at around $5.00 you need two bags.
    1 part Stock salt, ice cream salt.
    Comes in 50lb Bags at around $2.00 you need one bag.

mix one coffee can di cal, 2 coffee cans trace mineral, one coffee can stock salt into your mineral spot and mix into soil.

thanks for posing that recipe!
    I cant seem to find di-calcium phosphate by itself, I see it mixed with other ingredients. I check TSC and federated co op and no luck. where can I find this stuff?

DTW

x2 Basseyes. Been using cattle blocks for 40 years on my land. Kept blocks on the same stump for 20 years. created a great deer trail with good hunting, then Didn’t hunt that spot for 10 years for health reasons. Recently Came back to start hunting and put another block on the stump and found the deer had licked a bowl like cavern IN THE STUMP! over those 10 years!. The minerals have must have petrified or something the stump, Crazy! Some things don’t need to change but then again, 40 years can change generations of deer to follow habits. Maybe?

StrungOut

Have been using plain mineral blocks for over a decade and put them on stumps. I know, oh the horror of a simple, cheap, cattle block. Have heard and read about how terrible a simple, cheap meant for cattle block is. But our deer use them pretty much daily from March to November. Are they as good as getting the perfect mixture of minerals, not a chance. But they are simple, cheap and work great for what I want them for, tcam observation. Minerals haven’t really been proven scientifically to do anything for antler growth through a long term research study. We all know they probably help with overall health to some degree, which over time if done regularly boost health, but genetics, geographical location, hunting pressure, management and regulations probably play a way bigger role. The hype to spend a lot of money on flavored, over priced salt is idiotic. To use a formulated bagged mineral mixture is far better than anything bought with a picture of a buck on it in a retail store.

Watched the video and all be it interesting, there wasn’t a lot of meat or protein there for guys who already fart around with management, be it plots, supplemental feeding, management practices or mineral supplementation.

Your partially correct, but its obvious you didn’t watch the video, huh lol

Hoyt4
    NULL

thanks for posing that recipe!
    I cant seem to find di-calcium phosphate by itself, I see it mixed with other ingredients. I check TSC and federated co op and no luck. where can I find this stuff?
    [/quote]

RubberDuck
    Fleet farm has this in stock again it will cost more there but you will be able to get a bag there.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.