Deep jigging whitefish on LK Michigan

• shorepatrol17

Been jigging whitefish out of Two Rivers on LK Michigan for 3 years now and can now say I have gotten pretty conistent so here goes. Typically 90-120 fow north of town to east of the Point Beach light. Look for marks in the bottom 10′, stop and drop. Minn Kota spotlock is great, sea anchors work or a kicker reverse into the wind at idle to hold position helps. On a calm day nothing is needed. If your speed is less than .5mph your set. For baits im running a 1/2 – 1oz Fle Fly on the bottom with a smaller than the standard hook on it. 18″ up I’m running a #3 swedish pimple tied to hang horizontally. Most hits come on the pause. Jigging calls em in, jigging agressively will snag them, dont snag them they dont taste as good. I run 7′ – 8.5′ light to medium bait casters with 6 – 10lb Berkley Nanofil with a 10′ 8lb flouro leader. These whitefish are much better tasting than the ones from Green Bay. When you hook up, go lightly, they come unbuttoned easily. Stop by if you see me out there. 2017 Alumacraft Edge maroon/gold 185 with an F150 and F8. I answer to Shorepatrol on the VHF. I have caught trout and salmon but have more work to do there. If you’d like to follow along, we put something together. Tight lines

Chris
    [email protected]

Attachments:
    1. 20170602_080431.jpg

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Interesting.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Yes. Definitely interesting.

I saw this too. Might be an option too.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Nice report.

So many species, so little time. toast

zooks

That’s a cool way to target an undervalued species, a darn good eating one to boot. Thanks for the report, look forward to seeing more.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.