Crossing into Canada

• Reed

Hey everyone,
    I’m heading up to Canada for the first time next week. Am I able premake food and bring it with me? I was planning on smoking a bunch of meat and freezing it for easy meals, but don’t know if I can bring it across the boarder. if anyone knows for sure I’d appreciate the insight.

Thanks

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

You’ll be fine. Just don’t bring chicken or eggs.

Any type of live bait is also a big no-no.

maddogg

No eggs
    No chicken
    No firearms
    Limited alcohol
    No drugs – excluding RX
    No bait – alive or dead
    Anything else is ok

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

No bait alive or dead can be brought. Also you can not return will poultry products. Here are the links for the food restrictions and what states cannot bring poultry. Illinois is actually excluded but your poultry products have to say where they are from.

Food

Cam White

No poultry at all. Doesn’t matter where it’s from. Your fine with the meat. I’m Canadian.

Reed

Thanks everyone!

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

No poultry at all. Doesn’t matter where it’s from. Your fine with the meat. I’m Canadian.

Not trying to start an argument cam but if you look at the link that I posted not all states are banned from bringing in poultry.

Cam White

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Cam White wrote:</div>

Not trying to start an argument cam but if you look at the link that I posted not all states are banned from bringing in poultry.

Cbsa agents are lazy. They won’t care where it’s from. They will just seize it.

Reed

On another note, I know I can bring in either a case of beer or a bottle of booze. Anyone have an idea of roughly how much the duty hit is for bringing in and additional case or addition bottle of booze. Just trying to figure out if it’s cheaper to pay the duty or purchase booze in Fort Francis.

CaptainMusky

On another note, I know I can bring in either a case of beer or a bottle of booze. Anyone have an idea of roughly how much the duty hit is for bringing in and additional case or addition bottle of booze. Just trying to figure out if it’s cheaper to pay the duty or purchase booze in Fort Francis.

They charge you based on the value of whatever extra you bring in. Not sure what the exact rate is, but if you have 2 cases of beer valued at $20 each, it will be some % of that dollar amount in excess.

Umy
    South Metro

Per person.
    Just got back from Fort Frances. Didn’t even ask about eggs.
    Literally at the border station 90 seconds.
    Coming back the US officer chatted us up for like 3 or 4 minutes. Just inane banter but was pretty funny.
    Got our minnows at Rainy lake sports – always do.
    They were dead that evening. 19 quart Engel with new batteries.
    Not sure what happened. I always use the Engel. Were all yellowish and slimy.
    Too far to drive back over the lake so just used dead minnows and plastics and crankbaits. Just fine.
    I’m curious what they train officers to ask and listen for? I am CERTAIN she was not but I’d swear she was hitting on my son – pretty funny. He was looking at me like “WTF”
    shock shock

big_g
    Isle, MN

It is always cheaper to pay duty… one year we had about 20 cases of beer and a dozen bottles of booze, for 5 guys.. the agent asked if we planned on spending any money in canada ? Since then, we buy our liquor in Canada.. yeah it costs more, but its also stronger beer !!! toast woot

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.