Concrete patio removal

• ThunderLund78

Need to bust up and remove an exposed aggregate patio as part of a full deck tear-down and rebuild/backyard project. As much as I’d LOVE to hire this out, I’m trying to save money where I can to use on the deck. The cheapest route would be a pry bar, smash maul and wheelbarrow, but I’d be doing this mainly myself and I’m not as spry as I used to be. Thinking of renting a walk-behind with forks to lift the slab while I hammer. Or would just a jackhammer make quick work of it and I could wheelbarrow out the chunks? Never done this before, looking for advice.

Attachments:
    1. 20220517_084456-scaled.jpg

Ongo

A mini track loader like a Bobcat MT100 with a breaker attachment would bust it up nicely. I used one to take out some concrete steps a few years back.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

wow that looks ball busting, my back’s sore just thinking about it. BUY if you insist on doing it yourself, i’m pretty sure the right rental place may have an electric jack hammer!!!!!! that should break it up small enough so no smash maul is needed. i’d fear flying chips with the maul and your eyeballs!!!

good luck sir!!!!!!!!!

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

If it has mesh or rebar in it your going to want to rent a jack hammer. Hopefully it doesn’t have either. It also doesn’t look like it is a consistent thickness. The thicker areas are going to be more challenging. I’d start with a maul on one corner and see what your up against. Where do you plan to get rid of it when your done? A bobcat might be your easiest answer but most likely won’t be easy on your yard.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Lol have fun breaking it with a sledge. Especially if it has wire in it. A dingo and sledge isn’t the answer. Either cut it up and 2 wheel dolly or rent a hilti 1000, 1500, or 2000. Chip it up and dolly or wheel it out. Saving cash isn’t always worth it.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

A mini track loader like a Bobcat MT100 with a breaker attachment would bust it up nicely. I used one to take out some concrete steps a few years back.

He will probably be more money in to that then to pay some one to remove it.

CaptainMusky

I think the bigger problem might be finding someone willing to do it. Its nearly impossible to find anyone that has ability or willing to do small jobs like that.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

I think the bigger problem might be finding someone willing to do it. Its nearly impossible to find anyone that has ability or willing to do small jobs like that.

Oh there is tons of us out here.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

They have been removing pieces of concrete gutter on my street the past week or so and they use a jackhammer type thing attached to a bobcat to do it. It makes pretty quick work of it. I would not want to be out there trying to remove old pieces of concrete by hand. Hire someone with the right heavy equipment and they can make quick work of it.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

They have been removing pieces of concrete gutter on my street the past week or so and they use a jackhammer type thing attached to a bobcat to do it. It makes pretty quick work of it. I would not want to be out there trying to remove old pieces of concrete by hand. Hire someone with the right heavy equipment and they can make quick work of it.

Gutter is 12 inches thick, his slab is tops 4 and rotted. No need for heavy equipment to rip up the yard.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

By the time you rent a skid steer and attachments it will be cheaper to hire it out. Looks like a 12×12 patio from the picture so only about 1.75 cubic yards of concrete but its still 6 tons of concrete. I would try a sledge hammer and a bar if it is not coming apart with that I suggest you just hire a contractor with a dump truck and skid steer to remove it.

ThunderLund78

I don’t have a wide enough access to the backyard for anything larger than a walk-behind track machine. Don’t want to rent one if I don’t need to.

Bearcat, knowing that you’re a concrete guy – any idea on an estimate of what it would cost to have it removed? I’d likely have to rent equipment and a dump trailer for at least a day so anticipating it costing me $500 at a minimum and that’s Just if everything lands jelly side up. I think this was done on the cheap when the house was built back in 2002. Some of the cracks/heaves are big and I cant see any mesh or wire.

Sylvanboat

Call your local courthouse and tell them you have some great community service projects for lawless youth.

MX1825

I had a small area of concrete to remove from a storage building. Rented an electric jackhammer. Had it broken up in an hour. I think it was about an 8×8 slab.
    Good Luck!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

What size is the slab and where are you located

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I am not sure what your plans are after you remove the concrete. But what about leaving it and adding leveling sand on top with paver stones? Use the existing patio as the base. At least that would be less work. I am sure there may be other issues doing this. Just tossing an idea out there.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’d go with the jackhammer route and get it busted up into manageable pieces (think 40-50# chunks that you can still heave, but aren’t tiny). Then I’d also call up the local football/basketball/wrestling coach at your high school and tell them you would like to make a donation for their help. I would be shocked if you don’t get a response and help in the very near future.

We did projects like this all the time in the community with our athletes. We put in docks, picked up trash, hauled rock and mulch, and helped rip rap shoreline all for relatively small donations and a workout.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I am not sure what your plans are after you remove the concrete. But what about leaving it and adding leveling sand on top with paver stones? Use the existing patio as the base. At least that would be less work. I am sure there may be other issues doing this. Just tossing an idea out there.

He wouldn’t be able to pour a new slab. It would be higher then the sliding glass door. Slab needs to go

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Beer party, Get a keg and tell your friends to bring some tools……….

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

TL78
    I have a jackhammer if you need it.

Sharon
    SE Metro

I love demo work and I’ve always wanted to learn how to use a jackhammer! *wink wink
    mrgreen mrgreen

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

TL78

What hammers do you run. Please don’t say Bosch lol

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Today

Attachments:
    1. 16528061991462661044464619117603-scaled.jpg

2. 20220517_114731-scaled.jpg

3. 16528061455517449313072446993155-scaled.jpg

ThunderLund78

Sorry Bearcat – that would’ve helped in my original ask…

14 X 18 plus a small extension on one corner for the bottom of the deck stairs.

I’m in New Prague, MN.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Eelpoutguy wrote:</div>
    TL78

What hammers do you run. Please don’t say Bosch lol

OK redface
    But I do run an electric Hilti and gas Stihl partner saw.

Deuces

That’s no more than a sledge, can of blue sugar free monster and one album of limp bizkit.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

OK redface
    But I do run an electric Hilti and gas Stihl partner saw.
    [/quote]

Those hilti saws are nice. We run them to those and a stihl ts800. The hilti hammers are top notch I don’t think there is anything close to them in the game. I see many Bosch hammers in the field and they are harder on the worker then need be

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

That’s no more than a sledge, can of blue sugar free monster and one album of limp bizkit.

it is just one of those days

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Mr.Beads wrote:</div>

it is just one of those days

Maybe he’d do it all for the nookie

Sharon
    SE Metro

Maybe he’d do it all for the nookie

So you can take that cookie
    and stick it up your moon

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.