COLD FEET

• Daniel Lukashewski

Ok gentlemen i am looking for opions on the warmest boots for on the
    Ice keep in mind we have to walk and drag our sleds and i have sweaty feet . so looking for warm boots and tips to keep my feet dry . thankyou for your input

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

I bought new liners for my boots and light smartwool socks. Then I ordered the Thermacell bluetooth insole to go inside my boots. I’ve always used the stick on sole foot warmers, but my feet would get hot at the beginning of the day and the get cold as the day went along…especially since they made my feet sweat. I wear Ice Kings with the silver liner.

So my plan is to just have those heated insoles in my boots waiting till I start to feel just a little coolness. Then I’ll turn them on via bluetooth. It’s all theory at this point, but I’m hopeful. I’m three weeks away from using them, but I’m sure I’ll post some kind of report on how they work. We’ll be on Sabaskong Bay and Whitefish Bay of LOTW Jan 3-7. It’s always butt freezing cold then. Curious to see how it all goes.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Baffin titan boots, good wicking sock liner and good wool socks.

Brad Dostal

I bought Baffin Eigers last year along with some Ultimax heavyweight socks and could not be happier. I also bought some other socks that were a liner sock and then merino wool socks over the top. Both the ultimax and liner/merino combo work great. I love my baffins so much that I bought my 4 year old daughter a pair of youth Baffin Eigers. Great boots!!

riverruns
    Inactive

Brand new MM boots just showed up from Mr. USPS. I still have my old pair but they’ve been so good to me to keep my feet warm ordered a new pair as a spare for some day. I’ve never had cold feet with these boots and I get cold feet. Little heavy but it’s not bad.

Attachments:
    1. 1513127239377749294436.jpg

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Go old school because it works. LaCrosse Iceman.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I never understood how I would always be cold when I was wearing decent boots. Then I figured out that my sweaty feet would make the liners wet, and once they’re wet they don’t insulate worth a darn.

You know those plastic bags they stick your merchandise into at the store? I wear a cotton sock, then a plastic bag, and then into the boots. My feet are never cold. Ever.

For the record I’m wearing LaCrosse boots.

SR

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Riverruns has it dialed in!

milemark_714

Brand new MM boots just showed up from Mr. USPS. I still have my old pair but they’ve been so good to me to keep my feet warm ordered a new pair as a spare for some day. I’ve never had cold feet with these boots and I get cold feet. Little heavy but it’s not bad.

Can you still get those in black?I am also looking for a pair to replace a failed pair of Rockys.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Get spray on deodorant and spray your feet. Then get some nice wool socks. Carhart or Wigwam socks. Next get some nylon/polyester soccer socks to go over your wool socks.

When just sitting inside a shack, loosen up your footwear to allow better moisture evaporation.

riverruns
    Inactive

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>riverruns wrote:</div>

Can you still get those in black?I am also looking for a pair to replace a failed pair of Rockys.

Yep just Google black MM boots. They are easier to get than the white boots.

milemark_714

Thanks Riverruns.The white ones are rated for colder weather,and black for less.Did not know that until now.I don’t walk very far at one time,so weight is not an issue.

Black are Mickey Mouse,white are bunny boots.

bioguy

I am not going to say they are the best, because I have worn my pair of (white, legit Bata) bunny boots for about 7 years and have had no desire to change them. They are on the heavy side for sure, but I have literally never had cold feet with them. Completely enclosed liner, so nothing to capture moisture whether it’s sweaty feet or dunking into water. Wear good wool socks and you won’t get cold. Like I’ve said, watch bering sea gold, or any other extreme cold reality show etc…and look at their feet. More often than not they are wearing the white bunnies.

Thanks Riverruns.The white ones are rated for colder weather,and black for less.Did not know that until now.I don’t walk very far at one time,so weight is not an issue.

Black are Mickey Mouse,white are bunny boots.

bioguy

Just to follow up. My pair has a stamp that indicates the year they were put into service. Mine were 1998. So entering 2018 they will be 30yrs old and I do not see any reason why I wouldn’t keep wearing then another 10 years. They work well and are literally indestructible.

Mike Parry

I know a lot of people naysay the Muck Artic Pros, but I have had no issues with my pair. I wear one quality pair of thermal socks in a boot one size bigger than my typical shoe size. I’ve never had cold feet with them. The only problem I’d say is they are sometimes TOO warm and my feet will sweat. Nonetheless, they don’t get cold!

Snake ii’s

Just to follow up. My pair has a stamp that indicates the year they were put into service. Mine were 1998. So entering 2018 they will be 30yrs old and I do not see any reason why I wouldn’t keep wearing then another 10 years. They work well and are literally indestructible.

Uh – my 3rd grade math calculates them 20 years old next year………..

Regularpaul

I didn’t see Steger Mukluks come up but that’s what I have. The camo synthetic upper ones. I’ve dealt with cold feet when hunting and fishing my entire life and finally found something that keeps me warm.

My feet would sweat and freeze too and these keep it under control. Lightweight and comfortable.

Plus they’re local )

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

You know those plastic bags they stick your merchandise into at the store? I wear a cotton sock, then a plastic bag, and then into the boots. My feet are never cold. Ever.

Steve we’re from the same school…OLD.

Bread bags worked in the ’70’s. Now it’s the carry out bags.

Hudson8907
    NULL

What’s the sizing like on y’alls bunny boots? Do they run big?

tmyboy2001
    Lakeville, MN

X2 on Baffin Eigers. I had them out when it was actual air temp of -30 and never got cold. Look for fast deals on places like Amazon, etc.

iceager01
    Redwood County/Scott County

I was using infernos until this year, switched to Baffins since I heard they are the warmest… I do however believe that using the right socks layered in the right way will keep your feet warm, somehow I got wet feet with the infernos but my feet stayed warm, I was using a thermax sock next to the skin and a wool polyester blend sock which was moisture wicking on top of that, stayed out for about ten hours with no discomfort… also, I rarely tighten my boot laces which allows my boots to breathe…

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

I have been using my bunny boots for many years now and my feet are always warm and dry. I sweet like crazy. So what I do is bring a nice pair of merino wool socks with me in my pocket. I start out with normal socks and after I get everything set up I change my socks out. If I am hole hopping and not setting up a portable shack, I put on a good pair of wicking socks and ice cleats. The cleats keep my feet 3/8” off the ice and that makes a big difference. I have been happier with my $15 white bunny boots than I was with the $$$ other boots I had. They are heavy, but if you walk around the house with 5lb weights around your ankles you will get use to it. whistling

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

What’s the sizing like on y’alls bunny boots? Do they run big?

I don’t think they run big. The nice thing is you can get them in wide, double wide, and triple wide. I have wide feet and thought I would need the double wide. But the wide was perfect in ½ size bigger than my shoe size. Make sure your feet are not tight when you have your socks on. You can go to an army surplus stores and try some used ones on. Check the sol and make sure they are not too worn down.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Where did you get the white Bunny Boots? They have become difficult to find in my size on eBay.

Grouse

Mookie Blaylock
    Wright County, MN

Not a typical winter boot but I picked up a pair of 800 gram Carolina 4×4’s when I was in a real pinch and they are, value wise, my purchase of the year. Typically a Thorogood guy now after being continually let down by Rocky.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Baffin Apex ( Not sure if they still sell them ) If not any of Baffin’s boots. They are a bit on the bulky side but by far the warmest I’ve found. To me the key is sock liners with a lite smartwool sock over them.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Baffin titan boots, good wicking sock liner and good wool socks.

that’s it right there. exactly my setup. Basically though choose your boot (the titans are a good choice) and wear a sock liner and good wool socks.

Daniel Lukashewski

wow thankyou for the input but one of the lakes we fish is a 3 mile hike to get in no wheels aloud not sure alittle heavy is the way i want to go

tim hurley

Brad did you look at the Baffin Snow Monsters at all? Stuck between the Eiger and the SMs -Very much a hole hopper-Can’t find either to try on so I will have to special order-Planning on going 1.5 higher than my shoe size——-Thanks

jarrod holbrook

I run muck arctics and merino wool socks… I also keep a piece of 1/4 styrofoam that one would use under vinyl siding. If you put it under your feet in the shanty it makes all the difference. I also learned that thicker socks don’t mean warmer feet. A small airspace helps everything breathe. YMMV.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.