No Roll Sinker question

• moxie
    Sioux City,IA

Trying to get my setups ready for the season and looking for the easiest method. I’ve been using the swivel-line-hook, Can I just use a split shot or a bead to hold the slip sinker instead of a swivel, or will this decrease my catch rate?

Red ranger
    New Richmond, WI

I have used the split shot as a slip sinker stop and it works fine. I have also used a bobber stop with a bead between the slip sinker and stop knot. The bobber stop allows you to change your leader length and will not crimp or nick the line.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Mox, there’s a number of very good catfisherpeople that don’t use anything.

The no-roll slides down all the way to the hook. Then just let out 8 or so inches of line.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I never let those no rolls slide over braided line. Too much sharp flash from the parting lines in the molding process. Good opportunity to fray your line.

I use a snap swivel to connect my sinker to my line, above the leader swivel. I put a bead between the snap swivel and the leader swivel.

THis also makes it real easy to change weights for different sized baits or current, and allows you to quickly take the weight off for transport. I almost always remove my weights before pulling anchor and heading to the next spot.

I tie some string onto my weights to connect easily to the snap swivel since it takes a huge snap swivel to go through the eyelet on an 8oz bank sinker. You can use no-rolls this way too.

BBKK
    IA

Sure you can, used to do that for sucker rigs. #6 hook, 6″ of line, #3/0 split shot crimped real tight, then a 1/8 egg sinker above that. No need for a bead, no knot to protect.

moxie
    Sioux City,IA

All great advice guys, I was trying to avoid swivel tying. We have a fishing night coming up this wknd. for church and I wanted a fast way to setup lines for the kids in the church.
    So I can concentrate on my fishing..lol.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

where are you guys going?

moxie
    Sioux City,IA

We’ll be on the Nebraska side across Iowa and SD on the left. I think it’s the mouth of the Sioux River?

chomps
    Sioux City IA

there’s a couple wing dams over there, just across from the Big Sioux and Big Mo meet. I’m not really into cats, but this dog can learn new tricks. The river looks like it’s cooking pretty good. Gavin’s is letting out a bunch of water, will cats get out of the colder water and get into those pools behind wing dams? Will they go there to get into warmer water, or just move into feed? I know of a couple summer time “pools” where can they get as deep as 18 FOW and no current.

waterice
    Elk Point, SD

Moxie good luck this weekend hope the weather holds out. What is your bait of choice? If you need some help I might be able to help.

moxie
    Sioux City,IA

Quote:

Moxie good luck this weekend hope the weather holds out. What is your bait of choice? If you need some help I might be able to help.

Bait of choice is nightcrawler and shad but I do dabble with stinky stuff too, sonnys and sudden impact.
    Thanks for the offer, not sure if the weather will hold for Sat.

moxie
    Sioux City,IA

Quote:

It’s on for Saturday if you still want to come out. This will be the warmest day of year yet.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Quote:

Trying to get my setups ready for the season and looking for the easiest method. I’ve been using the swivel-line-hook, Can I just use a split shot or a bead to hold the slip sinker instead of a swivel, or will this decrease my catch rate?

Moxie – if you are looking for the easiest set-up for your rigs I would go to a sinker slide and nix the no-roll sinkers and then I would go to a 1/0 or larger snap swivel to attach your leaders to.

The sinker slide does several thing for you: It is easy on your main line; allows you to change sinkers weights without having to retie your line every time; and at the end of the day you just remove your sinkers from the rod and they aren’t banging up your rods during transport.

The snap swivel allows you to change leaders on the fly without having to retie. I pre-tie all my leaders and store them in a business card type folder. Tie up leaders with different size hooks and different leader lengths. You can then change leaders in a few seconds especially in the dark without having to retie in the dark.

Some of these guys will try to tell you that all that terminal tackle will cause you to lose big fish. That’s bull. I’ve never lost a fish from a snap swivel breaking. That is what a reel drag is for.

It is all a matter of personal preference and experience. I’m 66 years old and I need to make things easy and simple to do and I don’t like trying to fumble around in the dark. I pre-tie everything I can and store it in easy to find storage containers. I use terminal tackle that facilitates ease of operation. I have never lost a big fish because of equipment failure so until I do I’m staying with quick and easy.

As far as No-Roll sinkers go. I still use them but I’ve adapted them to use on a sinker slide. I never thread them on the line anymore – to much hassle. Here is a photo of my No-Roll sinker change.

moxie
    Sioux City,IA

You mean like this?

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Quote:

You mean like this?

Yep. Make sure you use a good quality snap swivel about a 1/0 or bigger. I use the snap swivels that have a Duolock snap because I prefer that type of snap. A size #55 Duolock snap is rated at 85 lb and a size #56 is rated at 150 lb. That size can handle a big cat with no problem.

I replace the snaps on my Sinker Slides with Duolock Snaps too. They seem to handle the weights easier. If you look at the Duolock snaps you can see how you can open them up fully and then just slide them on the sinker slide and then close them back up. I did an article on snaps in the In-Depth Outdoors Article Forum. Here is the link – it explains it in detail:

http://www.idofishing.com/forum/showflat.php/Number/966760/fpart/1/cat-tip-of-the-day-add-a-snap-when-you-need-it

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Steve I think you’re going to forget more than I ever learn.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Paul – I just walked down the stairs and when I got there I forgot what I was down there for. Right now I cannot remember where I put my 5/0 circle hooks – I was going to tie up some leaders which I remembered after talking to Moxie about rigs. It is hell getting old.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

If you can find those 5/0
    s let me know I can mail some. I got a boat load that don’t get used enough in my bag from when moore’s closed. Still in the pagage even!

cat-stevens
    Rochester,MN

Quote:

The sinker slide does several thing for you: It is easy on your main line; allows you to change sinkers weights without having to retie your line every time; and at the end of the day you just remove your sinkers from the rod and they aren’t banging up your rods during transport.

The snap swivel allows you to change leaders on the fly without having to retie. I pre-tie all my leaders and store them in a business card type folder. Tie up leaders with different size hooks and different leader lengths. You can then change leaders in a few seconds especially in the dark without having to retie in the dark.

I use sinker slides on almost all my rigs, I am running into broken slides on occasion, and it isn’t the snap part that breaks, it’s the part that attaches the slide to the snap.

I’m really digging the idea of snaps below the sinker. I’ve always used a double eye, and your right, it is time consuming when your leader breaks. My question is, does anyone pre-tying leaders use a double eye swivel on the connecting end of the leader, or do they use a loop knot?

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Quote:

My question is, does anyone pre-tying leaders use a double eye swivel on the connecting end of the leader, or do they use a loop knot?

I prefer a Loop knot. Simple and fast – never had any problems with that knot.

The longer your leader the more susceptible you are to getting snagged. Early in the season when you have high flow that long leader is going all over the place in the current so it gets hung up on rocks, twigs, logs, etc. I like to fish a short leader sometimes in those conditions – 4″ to 6″. If you don’t have any short leaders – just grab a long leader, tie a loop knot at about 4″ or whatever length you want and snip off the excess line, attach the loop knot to your main line snap swivel and you are good to go. You don’t need to fart around with another swivel.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.