Mid Summer Flats with bobbers

• farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

I was running through some gear the other day, and started to think of some different catfishing opportunities. I had a short conversation with a cat guy last summer about fishing bobbers with bullheads on rock humps on Lake Pepin mid summer. The guy who mentioned it is one who I trust as an expert in the catfishing game, and I would like to give this a shot this summer.

Hoping there are a few guys here who know something about it and can help shed some light on this technique. My understanding is to do this midsummer when water temps start to rise and flow start to drop, but outside of that I know nothing.

Specific locations not needed, but gear, depths, what to look for in a location, or anything else would be helpful.

stuart
    Mn.

It’s a low percentage game finding the flats on the rocks out there but can be done.First is to find the bait fish and depths at which the flats are using.
    I would rather float a big bullhead or sucker up to the face of a log pile keeping them right at the front of it.Weigh them down fairly well as they will try and run for the wood.Its a hit like a freight train when you coax one out of his daytime haunt.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

You need some good sized floats. I bought some of the bigger RediRig floats – I measure them just off the bottom near the boat and then just let them float back in the current. The floats release when you set the hook. I’ve caught channels with them. Here is a link to the RediRig site: http://www.redirig.com/release-floats.aspx

Whiskerkev
    Madison

You can make some bobbers out of kids swimming noddles really easily custom made to the size you need. Put a drink straw through them and they work just like a slip bobber. Add a glow stick to them and you are good to hook all night. I’ve never fished Pepin for flats but I fished rock piles all the time on pool 9. Rocks in deep water during the day, near shallow rock piles at night were the ticket. There are times when you could go to day marker to day marker and catch fish all day long. I agree with the above poster the bait will tell you were to go.

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

I caught a little one this summer with a balloon. There was a high pitched screech sound and I later figured out it was the balloon being pulled down the line.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I saw a In-Fisherman where he used cutbait under a bobber to fish flats mid day in snags.

From the studies I have read it seems like there is a real opportunity for active daytime flatheads, but it is a small window. I’m not saying you can’t catch them outside of that window, but I think there is an hour during peak sun where they make short movements, presumably looking for food.

I’ve meant to give it a shot, but I just haven’t done it yet.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.