Catfish and the Supermoon

• dfresh
    Fridley, MN

So this weekend is supposed to be the Supermoon, where a full moon coincides with the closest the moon will be to the earth this year.

Any thoughts on how it will affect cat fishing this weekend? Does anybody believe in the old sayings about full moons and catfishing?

Looking for thoughts, anecdotes about previous Supermoons, predictions, etc.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I say anything that gives you more of a reason to go fishing is a good thing. Supermoon sounds like a really good one

Now only if the wife agrees……

amundsonjon
    wi

have done well on full moon but there is allot of bugs hatching everywhere. Don’t forget your thermacell. Good luck

briansmude

The supermoon is the best time to go fishing, but so is a new moon, a quarter moon, three quarter moon and every other day for that matter.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Yes!!

Flathead Fever
    robbinsdale mn

I have found that super drunk is a good time to go fishing.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Quote:

I have found that super drunk is a good time to go fishing.

Super drunk + super moon = super good times. Man I like that equation.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Pretty sure thats the plan since we’re camping out!

dbright
    Cambridge

Sounds about how my weekend is going to go camping, cats, and beer.

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

Not a nibble last night till almost midnight. I assume they fed later…….

moxie
    Sioux City,IA

Quote:

Not a nibble last night till almost midnight. I assume they fed later…….

Yeah same here! It was warm out last night even with the wind picking up. Fished til about 3am and not a bite. The moon was behind dark clouds but it was still a nice night.

Flathead Fever
    robbinsdale mn

super moon my A$$ ! I didn’t catch nuthin!

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Good thing weddings had me busy all last 2 days, no one having luck. This weather is so darn unstable I am thinking if we can get a couple good somewhat decent days of weather maybe the not so super moon Monday or Tuesday night may be good.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

If I had a choice I would take a Super NO Moon any day.

My luck on full moons (for cats) ranks pretty low.

I would think the plankton would be more active during a full moon which would make the bait fish more active and all the way up the rest of the food chain.

My records show just the opposite for cats.

No idea why.

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

I’m not sure how light/dark apply when I can only see two inches into the water but it does. I think cloudy would have helped today but no one told me it wasn’t going to get as hot as they forecasted. Water level down here is pretty decent. Just super moon and super humidity this week.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Full moon strikes again! With the changing river level I only was able to get a 6″ bullie for bait and was hoping for a big eye or cat and got this.

Beautiful night for sure. Had the wifey with me and I am figuring out she is my good luck charm. Plus she saw a nice 5″ chub wash up on shore that got setup on another pole that had a real nice run but never caught the circle. Had some good teeth marks on it so figure that was my eye Caught a nice 5# cat as well on a hook and worm trying to catch bait before the biggie.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

That sure is a nice picture…wait! I that a, a, a bell?

moxie
    Sioux City,IA

It was a gorgeous night and more gorgeous supermoon. I believe strange things happen during a full moon. My son and I got to our spot and about 20minutes later a guy shows up and I don’t know how long he was standing there in the dark. Anyhow he starts asking questions..blah blah..then he goes on to say he’s a traveler, and he catches the train and is sleeping under the bridge. So I asked curiously bc I’ve never been on a train, “do you mean the greyhound” and he says the freight train(now I’m thinking where exactly is that pair of scissors at) long story short he left after I stopped talking and kind of ignored him. I felt a bit uncomfortable with his questions and the way he looked around and he asked for a spare fishing pole..uh..no way!
    Well my son and I looked at each other and said..I thought people catching the freight train was only in the movies..oh well, I was just glad my son was with me and I’m sure the traveler was harmless but still a bit scary.
    Overall it was a nice supermoon night.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

We made it out on Saturday on the Minnesota, but decided to forgo camping out based on the weather forecast. Glad we made that decision as it rained and blew so hard Saturday night that we woulda been swamped.

We did manage a few daytime channels and a really smell softshell turtle.

We also say the Sheriff’s boat making a high speed run upstream to go check this out: Missing Kayaker

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Looks Like your getting a few now Mox,

moxie
    Sioux City,IA

Yes and thanks for the tips Mossy

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Quote:

That sure is a nice picture…wait! I that a, a, a bell?

I love my bell. The catfish train is coming into town when that thing starts tinging.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Just refer to it as a ‘strike indicator’ and you’re good with BK

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Just refer to it as a ‘strike indicator’ and you’re good with BK

Exactly!

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

If I’ve got 5 to 10 poles in a short distance like a 100 yrd. stretch, and its quiet I put bells on all of them. I just troll over and take the fish off and rebait, using the trolling motor doesn’t spook the bite like a gas motor does sometimes.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.