Canada border closure extended

• patk
    Nisswa, MN

Lather rinse repeat. no surprise there and expect to read the same article every month for a while longer.

McCloud

Rumblings From others up north.
    Closures could extend into Mid 2021

Greenhorn
    Bismarck, ND

Real shame. The resorts will surely be hurting.
    I have a friend who is engaged to a Canadian and they haven’t been able to see each other since March. Sad deal.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

That’s a bummer for many. Although I didn’t have any trips planned, this takes any considerations off the table and is clearly going to hurt some resorts.

I’m not going to pretend to know better than the Canadian Government though. Their 9,000 covid deaths compared to the 198,000 in the US is quite the contrast.

blackbay
    mn

How many people that have gone to a Canadian resort actually saw Canadian people staying there?

bigpike

How many people that have gone to a Canadian resort actually saw Canadian people staying there?

My “resort” is run by a native. He wont be hurting by this regardless because he has many other pokers in the fire. Last I talked to him was during the Kenosha thing. He mentioned the way Natives get treated by the Canucks during that conversation. Of course most of the Canucks are looking down there nose at us and the problems in this country but maybe the should look in there own backyard first. All that being said I’d be surprised if the border opened up next year at all. I certainly wont be bothered by spending my money and vacation time in this country for the future

Reef W

wave

Snap

Canada’s running an experiment to see how long they can embargo themselves. Of course the people making these decisions are still getting paid. No skin off their noses.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

They keep extending the border closed date one month at a time, I wish they would just push it out to something that may actually happen. IMO the border won’t be open until 2022, but that is only speculation on my part. Anyone else have any thoughts/opinions on when it will open? My parents are thinking of selling their boat since they only use it up there and the prices are good for sellers right now.

CaptainMusky

I have no inside intel, but considering how Canada has remained very strict on their travel restrictions throughout this, I dont think its going to open any time soon. Even then, what will it take to get in? Will they require Vaccine Passports? Looking like our annual trip to Sioux Narrows is out again. Typically we go the third week in June, but I really doubt its going to open. Some Resort Owners up there who are native to Minnesota dont feel it will open until at least half way through the season. They havent even visited their resorts in well over a year so if you go through a resort, they could have significant repairs required prior to guests.
    We camp so I wouldnt expect much for issues since its on a remote island.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

We do the same…usually a trip in late June and it looks like it won’t happen. Our charter guy in Nestor didn’t seem very confident with the recent push to April.

Even if it does open this summer my guess is testing to cross to and from along with a quarantine would be required. No thanks.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

The campground we stay at for the Spring Canada Trip is almost 100% full with US license plates. The place we stay in the fall says over 90% of their business is US customers.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Canada just announced the border will remain closed to recreational / tourism travelers until at least April 21.

Canada is lagging badly behind in terms of vaccination rates, with only about 9.7% of the Canadian population having received at least one dose. By comparison, the US has over 22% of the population having received at least one dose.

I think at this point, having American tourists (even if they are fully vaccinated) running around in Canada would just rub salt in Trudeau’s wounds because it would highlight the shortfalls of the Canadian government and how badly they are lagging behind the US. Right now, the PR win for the Canadian government is to continue to pretend that by keeping Americans out, they are somehow “protecting” Canada when the real problem is the glacial pace of the Canadian vaccine program.

I don’t anticipate the border opening before the end of the summer unless there are dramatic changes in Canada’s vaccine program. I certainly would NOT put any deposits down with a Canadian resort until the border is back open.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

At this point I’m still holding out hope for the Sept. trip. Its sad that Canada has prepaid for the most # of Covid vaccines and they are getting delivery at a far slower pace than some other countries. The latest report shows they have only fully vaccinated about 1.70% of their population. The US is near 14%. Some countries are nearing 50%.

DeRangedFishinguy
    Up Nort’

I don’t expect Canada will open their borders until at least this time next year. Covid ain’t done with us as much as we are done with it.

But I hope I’m wrong!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Its crazy how different the #’s can be depending on where the Data is coming from. Like most things with the current Media, I think they often make it up as they go.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Canada just announced the border will remain closed to recreational / tourism travelers until at least April 21.

Canada is lagging badly behind in terms of vaccination rates, with only about 9.7% of the Canadian population having received at least one dose. By comparison, the US has over 22% of the population having received at least one dose.

I think at this point, having American tourists (even if they are fully vaccinated) running around in Canada would just rub salt in Trudeau’s wounds because it would highlight the shortfalls of the Canadian government and how badly they are lagging behind the US. Right now, the PR win for the Canadian government is to continue to pretend that by keeping Americans out, they are somehow “protecting” Canada when the real problem is the glacial pace of the Canadian vaccine program.

I don’t anticipate the border opening before the end of the summer unless there are dramatic changes in Canada’s vaccine program. I certainly would NOT put any deposits down with a Canadian resort until the border is back open.

I’d be shocked if American tourists are in Canada at any point during the 2021 year. The earliest we have even considered looking into something is mid summer 2022. In the grand scheme of things, I’m pretty apathetic to the situation. There are plenty of places to vacation, hunt, fish, spend money, etc. within the states. If I owned property in Canada – it’d be a different story.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Its crazy how different the #’s can be depending on where the Data is coming from.

It is a constantly-evolving scenario, so timing can greatly impact the data.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

But fishing is essential travel, Right?

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I’ll take a COVID test to enter and then quarantine at the resort. whistling

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

when the real problem is the glacial pace of the Canadian vaccine program

How come their vaccination pace is so slow? They’ve purchased more vaccines than any other country, something like enough to inoculate their entire population 5 times. Is it logistics? Or simply that the country is so big and they’re having issues getting it where it needs to go?

JEREMY
    BP

To bad Bidens not in charge up there. He would let all of you in.

DTW

Very true, Very True. Biden for PM!!

DTW

CaptainMusky

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>shefland wrote:</div>
    https://www.rcinet.ca/en/2020/09/16/land-border-between-canada-and-the-u-s-to-remain-closed-until-oct-21/

According to the page that opens up that post was in response to the September 16, 2020 article posted on their website?!
    What am I missing?

That post and the article are from last year when they extended it. Its been continually extended since. Just google Canada Border and you will see more recent articles.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Its crazy how different the #’s can be depending on where the Data is coming from. Like most things with the current Media, I think they often make it up as they go.

Figures don’t lie, if liars don’t figure.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

If I owned property in Canada – it’d be a different story.

I don’t own property, but after the death of our forum brother KWP, I have been helping his family with KWP’s fishing camp/cabin in the Canadian sub-arctic. I guess I’ve been promoted to Caretaker of Camp Kendall.

It is getting very frustrating and concerning. Obviously, a camp in the sub-arctic is not a maintenance-free situation. In addition to the concerns about the spring break up of ice, there are bear break-ins to worry about, fires, blowdowns, and of course vermin of the 2 legged variety robbing the camp would always be possible.

That the Canadian government won’t allow property owners in to even check on their properties. Right now we managed to get a Canadian resident to take a boat to check on the property back in October, but at that point, it had sat unused for over a year already. Now we’ve had no reports since then and we won’t get any until after ice-out in May or early June. Obviously, there is always the concern of ice jams and floods, so no idea what will be there if; when we get somebody to check on the property again. As of July 2021 it will have been 2 years since anyone set foot in the camp.

Here’s hoping I’m wrong and the borders open in June, but I don’t see that as being even remotely likely. We may end up doing a September or even what we call an “early ice” October trip just to check on the place if things open up, but I agree it’s not looking good.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

I have given up on going to Canada for this year (we normally go in late June). At this point, I’m very curious on what the requirements will be when they do start to open back up

While the fishing up there can be the best I have ever seen, at some point the requirements turn into a hassle, it may not be worth it. That will be for each person to decide for themselves

Will they require a negative test within X number of days before you try to cross?

I would assume that any test taken to prove you are negative before traveling somewhere is an out of pocket cost, how much that will be would mostly likely depend on multiple factors

I have seen mention of there potentially being a new passport that would show you have been vaccinated, wonder what that cost would be?

What will the US require to come back?

Nobody has these answers because it hasnt been determined when or how the land crossings between the US and Canada will open

I believe air travel is open, but I understand there are very specific requirements (and costly at that) to fly into Canada and I also believe the US requires a negative test before you can fly into the US from whatever county you are in when flying to the US

Umy
    South Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JEREMY wrote:</div>

Very true, Very True. Biden for PM!!

DTW

I second Biden and kamala for asst PM

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 73 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.