Canada border closure extended

From talking to family up there the vaccine pace took a brutal hit when they didn’t receive shipments for two weeks when the EU shut down exports temporarily. That was followed by another week of no deliveries because of the storm in the southern US where all the shipments were routed through. It has picked up a lot since then but they are playing catch up obviously. Hopefully it ends up being open sooner than we think as the pace continues to accelerate

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

I would say as far a fishing goes you will not be going to canada this year. Not saying at the end of the year you won’t be allowed but the restrictions in place will not make it practical. Since you can still carry the virus vaccinated canada will not allow travel until they are all vaccinated which sounds like the end of this year. I guess more Salmon fishing this year.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I guess more Salmon fishing this year.

I realize that a lot of people have a tradition of going to Canada for an annual trip, but there are lots of other options available right here in Minnesota or other neighboring state to scratch that itch. It requires less travel time and will cost you less too. Make memories right here.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>supercat wrote:</div>

I realize that a lot of people have a tradition of going to Canada for an annual trip, but there are lots of other options available right here in Minnesota or other neighboring state to scratch that itch. It requires less travel time and will cost you less too. Make memories right here.

while i agree in principle, there are all kinds of places in the states, going to canada on a fishing trip is like no other. been there 4-5 times.

miles of lake with no cabins or houses, not seeing another boat for hours, or days, the scenery…..and well the fishing………..

CaptainMusky

while i agree in principle, there are all kinds of places in the states, going to canada on a fishing trip is like no other. been there 4-5 times.

miles of lake with no cabins or houses, not seeing another boat for hours, or days, the scenery…..and well the fishing………..

Yep, same for us. Our last trip to Canada my boat alone boated nearly 600 walleyes (3 guys) over the course of 4 days. We would maybe see 5 boats in a day.

bigpike

Strongly disagree with the it will cost you less. But then I dont pay for catered meals, guides or fancy lodging in Canada. I just want the quality fishing and tranquility which cannot be found in the states.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

Strongly disagree with the it will cost you less. But then I dont pay for catered meals, guides or fancy lodging in Canada. I just want the quality fishing and tranquility which cannot be found in the states.
    [/quote]

Correct in my situation also a good friend has owned a cabin in the sunset area since the early 90’s. Usually go there 5-7 times a year including hard water and can do a weeks trip for couple of hundred bucks or less. This is going to put me back 14 trips I’m going to have to up my vacation. Yes I go there for the fishing but also to get away from the hustle and bussle.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

That’s interesting. One would think that simply paying for a passport, non-resident license, and pulling a boat would for 5+ hours one way would add up to more than going a hour or two from home. I guess if you do pay for a guide, catered meals, and stay at a 5 star resort it would certainly add up no matter where you went.

bigpike

Well now you went from visiting Minnesota and neighboring states to an hour or two drive…. smirk

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

For the cost differences:

Our fly in trips out of Nestor falls and our lotw trips at sportsman’s have almost identical all in costs.

We bring our own boats to lotw. The fly in is completely off the grid so we bring in some food and beer. No guides or extra services for either.

I much prefer the off the grid, see no one for 5 days, Canada trip. However, we’re booking lotw for this spring again.

cal74

How many resorts up there can go another year without any income from all of us?

I’m guessing not many.

Ripjiggen

Sorry but other places in the states are not remote Canada fishing. It’s just not. Not going to worry about something I can’t control and will make other plans but it is definitely going to be tough on those resorts.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

You are correct there are other fishing opportunities closer, but they cant match Canada for the #’s of fish or the size of fish. 21-25″ walleyes almost as fast as you want to catch them. Pike over 40″ ( Near 50 in our boat on our last trip ) and then add in the lake trout. All on lakes that you will hardly see another fishermen. Just can’t match that anyplace else. We are replacing our spring Canada Trip with a trip to Fort Peck. Its not going to be Canada but I’m still looking forward to it. The lake trout fishing may even be better than our canada trip. Throw in decent Pike and walleyes with some SM bass as well and it should be a fun trip. Like I said, I’m still holding on hope for the Mid Sept. canada trip. I think if Canada can pick up the pace on Vaccinations and the US visitor can prove they have been vaccinated things may be different by late summer or early fall.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

That’s interesting. One would think that simply paying for a passport, non-resident license, and pulling a boat would for 5+ hours one way would add up to more than going a hour or two from home. I guess if you do pay for a guide, catered meals, and stay at a 5 star resort it would certainly add up no matter where you went.
    [/quote]

No passport needed only birth certificate been doing it for years. 2-4 hours longer drive only cost $50 dollars, then split that between a couple of guys. Seasonal conservation license with exchange rate $55 dollars.

Umy
    South Metro

For me I can fish anywhere else sure, just disappointed they are closed. Have a place on Rainy 14 miles up from St. Francis. Love the privacy, love the scenery, love the “off the grid” break it provides and look forward to when we can return.
    Nice to pull in to the dock and not unload anything for fear it will go missing. Nice to fish for 4 days and see three other boats and comment on how “busy” it was. Costs me two tanks of gas in the truck and a tank of gas in the boat, couple 5 gallon cans for the generator and some “spare” gas just in case and my food. Pretty cheap trip.
    We will get back, it will just take time.
    Beautiful evenings
    And, catch all day

Attachments:
    1. Paul-Northern.jpg

2. Canada-fire.jpg

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

As far as the Travel time and cost you are partly correct. Both of the lakes we go to are about a 14 Hr. drive each way from Saint Cloud ( I think Fort Peck is about 10 Hrs ) So the time commitment can be a little long. The expense is not always as much as you would think. Our spring trip we camp so that cost is almost nothing. By far the biggest expense involved is the Gas to get there and Back + gas for the boat. I don’t count the passport expense because I keep that up to date in case I get a chance to travel outside the country to other locations. The non resident license in Canada is not that bad, I believe it is less than the non resident license for Wisc. Like I tell people. You can always make more money – But you only have so much time !!!

CaptainMusky

As far as the Travel time and cost you are partly correct. Both of the lakes we go to are about a 14 Hr. drive each way from Saint Cloud ( I think Fort Peck is about 10 Hrs ) So the time commitment can be a little long. The expense is not always as much as you would think. Our spring trip we camp so that cost is almost nothing. By far the biggest expense involved is the Gas to get there and Back + gas for the boat. I don’t count the passport expense because I keep that up to date in case I get a chance to travel outside the country to other locations. The non resident license in Canada is not that bad, I believe it is less than the non resident license for Wisc. Like I tell people. You can always make more money – But you only have so much time !!!

The other thing is that staying in MN is getting tough to even find places to go. Since no one can get into Canada the resorts, campgrounds, etc are reaping the rewards. Which is great for them, but I dont want to be around a ton of other people and that is just tough to do within the borders of this state with the border closed everything else is super busy.

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

You can always make more money – But you only have so much time !!!

So true! toast

My Grandad used to say “The old must die to make room for the young”.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Totally agree. Nothing in MN even comes close to where I go in Canada in terms of beauty, tranquility, peace, quiet, oh and crazy awesome fishing.

I had my best day of walleye fishing EVER followed by an even BETTER day of fishing the next day. Literally caught and landed over 100 walleye on a bright sunny July day by sitting anchored in one spot. This was on a lake that literally has no name on the Canadian maps and we were the only boat on the lake and the only boat for most likely dozens of miles in any direction.

If somebody can tell me where I can get that in Minnesota, reply here or even send me a PM. I won’t tell anybody.

Grouse

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

No passport needed only birth certificate been doing it for years.

Are you saying you can legally get across a border crossing with only a birth certificate? Pretty sure that’s incorrect. You need a passport or passport card, or enhance ID which is similar to a passport card.

Ryan Speers
    Waconia, MN

No passport needed only birth certificate been doing it for years.

Are you saying you can legally get across a border crossing with only a birth certificate? Pretty sure that’s incorrect. You need a passport or passport card, or enhance ID which is similar to a passport card.

Pretty sure what you are referencing only applies to air travel. I do believe it is possible to enter Canada via land or water with a birth certificate.

big_g
    Isle, MN

From what I researched, before covid, as of around Oct of 2020, you would need an Passport or Enhanced DL to Re-Enter the USA, on your return trip. Now when you try to research, it pretty much talks about covid precautions. And yeah, once you have been to a remote fly-in trip in Canada… your spoiled for anywhere else.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

[/quote]

Yes if you don’t believe what’s on the internet I agree. Call the US border and they will tell you. Canada doesn’t require a passport on vehicle or foot traffic either. Airline yes. We have had a gentlemen go with us for 10 years that only takes his birth certificate no problems. I have the card because it’s only $30 and its easier to carry.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Oh Canada how I miss you. Nothing compares to your fishing. We also do an annual trip for 5 days that costs everyone around $350/person…total! Gas,bait,food, cabin, license… everything.

Someday we’ll be reacquainted and I’ll be back in fishing oasis.

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

Oh Canada how I miss you. Nothing compares to your fishing. We also do an annual trip for 5 days that costs everyone around $350/person…total! Gas,bait,food, cabin, license… everything.

Where and how do you do that?

bigpike

The thing I miss the most is the fact that the only thing I use my phone for when I’m up there is for taking beautiful scenes or big azz fish. Maybe next year. Then again once freedoms are taken away it sure seems hard to get them back. Right Canadians?

Attachments:
    1. 20190626_192907.jpg

2. 20190628_141524.jpg

DeRangedFishinguy
    Up Nort’

Those days of 100+ Walleyes and not seeing another soul are available in MN if you put some sweat equity into it. Best fishing I ever had was up on a large remote lake in the BWCA. Heat of the summer, jigging on the reefs. As many walleyes as you wanted in a day. Got a few in the 28” class and dozens in the 24-26” range. Plus dozens of bonus smallies, with a few over 20”.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ClownColor wrote:</div>

Where and how do you do that?

There are sooooo many ma and pa resorts in Ontario. Grab a boat and go. No need for a guide or fly in (thou they would be fun) as the lakes are so amazing you won’t need help catching them. The drive is miserable but well worth it. And no, I’m not sharing the resorts name (It’s usually packed with Missourians as the SM fishing is off the charts)! Heck-they even have WiFi for those that need it. LOL

Umy
    South Metro

Yes if you don’t believe what’s on the internet I agree. Call the US border and they will tell you. Canada doesn’t require a passport on vehicle or foot traffic either. Airline yes. We have had a gentlemen go with us for 10 years that only takes his birth certificate no problems. I have the card because it’s only $30 and its easier to carry.
    [/quote]

Yes it’s true. Mom was in my car our last trip up in August 2019 and that’s all she needed.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 73 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.