Bourbon & Tennessee Whiskey

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Last winter I watched a house boat slipped next to me while the owner, “Dave” at 86 years, spent the winter in AZ. Once he came back, he handed me a bottle of Basil Haden TOAST. Something I’ve never tried before. I told him when I get back, we’ll crack it together.

Throughout the year, when Dave was looking for someone to talk to and perhaps have a sip with, he would leave his upstairs light on. Over the last 4 years, I’ve made many a trip to his houseboat.

The Sunday before I was leaving on my cruise down the river for 3 weeks, I stopped in to see him and to find out if he would give be a ride back to the boat on Wednesday after I dropped off my truck. No problem and he made me one of his famous bloody mary’s before I left.

Wednesday came and no Dave. Totally unlike him. I went over to his boat and the doors were unlock, which made sense because his car was still there. Then I noticed his hat and cap still on the table. Because of skin cancer, he never goes outside without his sun protection. I started to worry that he might have fallen off the back end of his boat…but put that out of my mind and kept calling his name as I walked through his pride and joy, the 80 some foot house boat.

Then I went to his bed room. Still in his PJ’s, motionless and cold to the touch.

My bottle of Toast is still in the cabinet, seal intact.

Attachments:
    1. Dave.jpg

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

My bottle of Toast is still in the cabinet, seal intact.

That’s tough BK, sorry for your loss sir. I certainly don’t know you friend, but a friend would most likely want you to open that bottle when it feels right and enjoy it thinking about him and the good times had together.

P.S. it’s a pretty tasty poor by the way.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

that’s a rough one, BK, thanks for sharing.

although i’d probably sign up for it if i could pass on while living on the river laying in my pj’s in my pride and joy houseboat. i agree, drink the bourbon and offer a toast to a life well lived.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Total Wine in Burnsville has Buffalo Trace for $25.99 a bottle limit one.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Total Wine in Burnsville has Buffalo Trace for $25.99 a bottle limit one.

Fantastic! That’s what it should be at.

I’m hoping to hear from my liquor barrel as I’m ninth on the buy list and they are getting all their good stuff in this week. Weller, Eagle Rare, McKenna 10, Blantons, Pappys, EH Taylor and who knows what else, all on the list. Hoping I can snag some Weller 107 and the ER.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I found this goodie there today

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0533-scaled.jpeg

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Never had that one. I like anything oaked though.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Well I had plenty to choose from, lower level Pappy’s, Eagle Rare, Forrester Bday, EH Tayler, Blantons, Blantons Gold, Weller 107, Special Reserve and Single Barrel, and many more. I went with some Stagg Jr. Too bad I could only pick one.

They had the Mckenna 10 on the shelf so I picked up some of that to replace some other good stuff I was hoping I would have a chance to buy too.

Attachments:
    1. CUz694Ul.jpg

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

You passed pappy 10 for stagg jr??? You must enjoy stagg!

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I just picked up a Willett Wheated Bourbon 8 year at a raffle last night. Not sure if I’m cracking it or trying to trade it for something I really want.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Oh!
    Something to Christen the new Toon with. waytogo toast woot

Jake
    Brainerd

Got real lucky last night! Can’t wait to see how it tastes!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0926-scaled.jpg

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Something to Christen the new Toon with.

Maybe, still thinking about a trade if someone has a Pappy or a good Weller

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’ve had Pappy’s and it’s damn good, but not good enough to pay the price for it. I’d much rather spend $60 on something I’ve not tried and will be almost as good, plus another $50 bottle for what I could’ve spent on one bottle of Pappys.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Maht –
    Do you still have access to Pappy? and if so which one?

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Carter Johnson wrote:</div>

I’ve had Pappy’s and it’s damn good, but not good enough to pay the price for it. I’d much rather spend $60 on something I’ve not tried and will be almost as good, plus another $50 bottle for what I could’ve spent on one bottle of Pappys.

The trade value is insane on them though. But still a good pick waytogo

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Yeah I’m not interested in trading them either.

EPG- I don’t have access to them. I did in my picks but I only got one and I went with the Stagg Jr.

tornadochaser

FYI…rumor has it within the liquor community that Hyvee stores were instructed to get their alcohol inventories down under $500,000.
    From what I’ve seen they are using unadvertised store specials to clear out merch. The biggest markdowns in the whiskey aisle seemed to be niche stuff, regionals, etc.
    Example, George Dickel bottled in bond Tennessee whiskey, regular of $50 was on sale for $20 last week. Balcones Texas Pot Still bourbon, regular $29 was $15. There were a few scotches & irish blends that were marked down 50% as well.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Changed careers this last week after 11 years in the hospital. Got together with coworkers and they stocked me up on bourbon. Got my second Mckenna 10 year in the last two weeks and a new one to me, McFarlane 13 year which is finished in cab barrels.

Never had that one but it’s a $100 bottle. Hoping it’s good.

Deuces

Anyone smoke their glasses or drinks?

Got a kit for it and initial thoughts are visually pretty cool, taste meh, and smell gets old fast….

Had a lil party of my own and stocked up on some Irish I’m anxious to dive into including a 12yr bushmill

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Ive always thought it was more just to look cool than actually infuse much flavor.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Found some Buffalo Trace treats on my recent Texas trip and picked up some extras. If anyone is interested, send me a message.

Attachments:
    1. 1FA67A33-C638-47EC-9C06-4BAF9D41C0EF-scaled.jpeg

2. 39129A0E-EC5D-4E84-A42B-E244F163371B-scaled.jpeg

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

^^^^ Pretty good find waytogo

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Very tasty

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0964-scaled.jpeg

munchy
    NULL

A little Dickle and my homemade symbol syrup.

Delicious waytogo

Attachments:
    1. 20240419_180740-scaled.jpg

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

A little Dickle and my homemade symbol syrup.

Delicious waytogo

Anything special about your Symbol syrup?

munchy
    NULL

LOL *simple* I guess the whiskey had already gotten to me. whistling

2 parts Turbinado Sugar
    1 part water

Simmer until sugar fully dissolved and let cool. Tastes almost like maple syrup when done.

Attachments:
    1. 20240419_213136-scaled.jpg

Viewing 27 posts - 571 through 597 (of 597 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.