Bourbon & Tennessee Whiskey

• xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

BB = Beam Black OK, so its my personal acronym grin

Many of the bars in and around the north woods of Wisco serve old fashioned’s as either sweet or sour. If you just ask for an old fashioned, you typically get brandy, bitters, grenadine syrup and 7 up with a garnish of orange slice/cherry. (not too much “muddling’ going on in there smile )

I personally prefer the taste of whiskey and sour, the standard Korbel and 7 up old fashioned is way too sweet for me.

danimal

Bulliet Rye , Buffalo Trace , Tin Cups

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

Russells Reserve: 10 yr: Woodmans has it for $22 typically around $40. Very good. This is my “new find”

Eagle Rare
    Buffalo Trace
    Crown Black

jonesry09

Was reading through the posts and killing some time, came across this a couple pages deep. Hate to bump an older thread but also didn’t think it was appropriate to post an ISO. Any of you bourbon/whisky drinkers also build rods? I have some bourbon (Blantons Gold, Blantons Straight from the Barrel, Wild Turkey 13, Four Roses Al Young etc.) that I would be willing to trade to get a couple rods made. Figured I would throw it out there and we may be able to work something out that benefits both parties. Shoot me a message if your interested.

nord

xplorer, try Korbel and sprite with a splash of club soda.
    Not as sweet.

fishingchallenged

There are quite a few I guess I need to try from this list. My go to bourbons:

Woodford
    Breckenridge

Rod Bent

Hey Jake D I like the Panther white whiskey myself. PM sent

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Must have missed this post!
    Old weller antique 107 (when you can find it)
    buffalo trace
    elijah craig
    My favorite go tos. I did just get real lucky and score a bottle of old rip van winkle 10 year though… whistling

bigpike

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>xplorer wrote:</div>
    I’m originally a Sconnie guy, and used to partake in the my share of Korbel old fashoined’s. Way better with BB and sour instead of 7up.

This raises some questions. No, there is no forthcoming sconni joke…

First, what is “BB” and why do I want it in my Old Fashioned?

Secondly, I thought an old fashioned was whiskey, bitters, orange slices muddled with sugar syrup, and then club soda and two Marchiano cherries. Where does the sour come in?

Finally, if you put brandy and 7-Up in it, isn’t a a brandy 7 with a slice of orange and a cherry?

The People must know the answers to the pressing highball questions of our time.

Grouse

The Old fashion is Wisconsin.
    They can be had with whiskey or brandy.
    They can be had with sweet or sour.
    Taste buds can vary. So can old fashions. Not sure the point of high end booze in them but once again to each his own….

catmando
    wis

My pickled fish and Jim Beam Devil Cut . And no not using, just couldn’t sleep!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20181108_002351.jpg

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Thanks for the heads up on the Angels Envy! In a blind taste test with 14 bourbons, Angels Envy won out for me with Basil Hayden coming in second.

Total Wines here I come!!

BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

you don’t have to pay a lot for really good bourbon:
    Buffalo Trace
    New Holland Beer Barrel
    Woodford Reserve Double-Oaked

but if you want to, that can be a lot of fun too:
    Baker’s
    Eagle Rare
    Blanton’s Gold
    Knob Creek 2001

Finally someone plugs in Eagle Rare, but I think in the wrong category. At about $27 bottle, it’s hardly on the pricy side. I think I’ve seen some special editions before for more but for the below $40 bourbon whisky I think this is my favorite.

I’m admittedly a bit of a whisky snob and tend to lean more towards scotches. For those that say they aren’t into scotch, you may have tried the wrong one(s). I was that way too having a very bad experience in my much younger years with Johnny Walker Red. Up until a couple of years ago I hadn’t tried anything good in Scotch. Then I bought a 375ml of MaCallan 12 Sherry cask and since then I found a new expensive habit. It can be found for $45-$50 750ml but you have to look. There are other very good expressions worth trying in that $40 price range.

Glenmorangie Original
    Dalwhinnie 15
    Balvenie Doublewood
    Ardbeg 10*
    Laphroig 10*

* These 2 are a whole ‘mother kettle of fish. Single Malt Scotches can only come from Scotland and there are a variety of regions that each have there own unique flavors. The Ardbeg and Laphroig distilleries are both on an island known as the Islay region (pronounced ee-lay). With hops roared over fires made with burning peat, these expressions are very smoky and peaty. They pair very well with cigars if you partake in that. The Laphroig in particular is a palette crusher. If you are doing a tasting, this one is always last which is also true with many of the other Islay expressions. While the flavor is very strong, personally I don’t find it offensive. It’s very smooth for what it is. I describe Laphroig 10 as “smoky campfire bandaid juice, in a good way”. I have to be in the mood for an Islay. I keep a bottle of Ardbeg 10 around for an occasional supper by the fire. It’s getting to be that time of the year again.

Generally I prefer my Single Malts from the speyside and highland regions, more sweet yet still complex.

Back to the topic at hand.

Ace Spirits in Hopkins is a very fun shop to visit. They have a wide variety of whiskies and other spirits to sample there. Don’t be shy about asking. Keep an eye out for their Black Friday sale, last year it was 20% off anything in the store. They also have tasting events that you can attend (for a tidy sum) but it gives you a chance to taste a variety of spirits you may not normally spring for like a $500 bottle of something. Great fun with a friend or two that enjoy whisky. They also get some great Barrel picks. I’ve picked a store picked Knob Creek 14 year old (bottle says nine) and an Elijah Craig Barrel Proof which are both out of this world, for that under $40 price point.

I’ll also recommend France 44 Liquor in Edina. They have a tremendous selection of whisky and other spirits to sample one often have other supplier sponsored events. A couple of months ago they had a “Mac-N-Cheese” event. 4or 5 bottles of different MaCallan, one or 2 over $200 bottles, paired with some great cheese (they have a cheese shop there too), all for free.

Somebody else mentioned High West Distillery. All of their products are outstanding. A little bit on the higher end but worth it. Their Campfire is out of this world – blended bourbon, Rye, and scotch with a little of that smoky peat.

I love to share whiskies. Not just a drinking party but to try different flavors and compare while talking poop about fishing, the weather, guns etc. my buddy I worked with and did this on a semi regular basis after work went somewhere else and I miss that. I’d be open to looking to make a group that gets together to share their favorites or ones they don’t care for that someone else might and make a swap or give it away to someone that would appreciate it.

Anyone here open to that?

Some whisky p0rn. The wall of Whisky is Ace Spirits, or part of it anyway. The Minor Case Rye shown was also OUTSTANDING and a good price point

Attachments:
    1. 875EB89A-B22E-4E7E-B326-9DB7D776E673.jpeg

2. 85BA0C1F-0758-44C2-AE3D-3352C93E676C.jpeg

3. D7773C37-C6AB-4CB5-B9C2-50743D6E6F53.jpeg

4. 525CB147-216C-49EC-AC6B-4FA743345C66.jpeg

5. 9391BCCA-316B-451E-B6A5-70976131CB98.jpeg

BoatsHateMe

Clyde Mays Kentucky Style also very, very good.

Attachments:
    1. D019E397-BA9C-46D2-A9D8-37D8A9479B96.jpeg

2. C5701A30-2226-4738-A04C-0F8B6E93253A.jpeg

3. 246300F3-DA4B-46D3-B7F3-9E0FA625CD65.jpeg

4. 8211FA50-C773-44D4-B46A-0D156C22ED35.jpeg

5. 5ED036F0-98C8-492B-BB47-F3353AE8BE44.jpeg

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

I have a bottle of knob creek single barrel store pick as well, pretty good stuff! I like Macallan a lot too, but it always seems a bit pricey compared to some other malts. Do you like any Balvenie or Glencfarclas expressions, they have some really good sherried options :).

On a side note, if anyone see’s Blanton’s Single Barrel bourbon on the shelves of their favorite liquor store, send me a note! It’s darn near impossible to find in the cities nowadays :(. Same goes for W.L. Weller Antique. Two of my favorites!

I wouldn’t say I like peated whisky very much, but there is a certain appeal to it. Whether is’s a smoother blend like johnnie Walker Black/Green, or something in your face like Laphroaig 10, I find myself craving it.

I’ve heard really good things about the Compass Box blends, but am yet to try them.

Below $40 bourbon I love:
    Eagle Rare
    Four Roses Single Barrel
    Evan Williams Single barrel

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’m typically a Makers Mark, guy for my nightly glass but lately I’ve been enjoying Four Roses Single Barrel for a nicer blend. Typically if I want a nice (for me) glass I’ll go with Knob Creek Single Barrel.

If I’m making Old Fashioneds throw me the Jim Beam Black or Bulleit.

BoatsHateMe

I have a bottle of knob creek single barrel store pick as well, pretty good stuff! I like Macallan a lot too, but it always seems a bit pricey compared to some other malts.

On occasion I can find the MaCallan 12 Sherry cask for under $50 and I think it’s well worth that. The 18 is way overpriced at $225-$280 depending on the store. While it’s very good and a nice treat, I prefer the 12. I did a blind taste test on them early on in my newfound hobby and the I picked the 12 over the 18.

Do you like any Balvenie or Glencfarclas expressions, they have some really good sherried options :).

Did someone say Balvenie?

Attachments:
    1. 30A2DFA3-17B0-49B1-BF21-54E5B80EBEF1.png

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’m typically a Makers Mark, guy for my nightly glass but lately I’ve been enjoying Four Roses Single Barrel for a nicer blend. Typically if I want a nice (for me) glass I’ll go with Knob Creek Single Barrel.

Give Rittenhouse Rye a try for an old fashioned, it’s great! I like using Rye in old fashioneds, and that rittenhouse is 100 proof so it holds up well to the sweetness in an old fashioned. And it’s only ~$21/bottle, pretty similar to those two you mentioned.

Liquor Barrel up on century carries it. Mike at LB is a great whisky guy to talk to as well!

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>

Give Rittenhouse Rye a try for an old fashioned, it’s great! I like using Rye in old fashioneds, and that rittenhouse is 100 proof so it holds up well to the sweetness in an old fashioned. And it’s only ~$21/bottle, pretty similar to those two you mentioned.

Liquor Barrel up on century carries it. Mike at LB is a great whisky guy to talk to as well!

HA! I’ve had quite a few conversations with Mike! LB is where I go as I live just on the other side of Co RD E. I will give Rittenhouse a try. Thanks.

David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

FWIW, anyone ever try TX Whiskey? https://www.frdistilling.com/tx-blended-whiskey/ It’s pretty smooth but unfortunately it is very limited as to where it’s sold and it’s a Texas whiskey. Amazingly smooth. Anyone ever try Blue Note Bourbon from Memphis. My friend bought a share of it last year and just bottled this years batch, promised to send me a bottle.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Oh, I meant to throw this out there as well. Rumor has it a lot of the tough to find products from distilleries like Buffalo Trace are somewhat intentionally limited in distribution. Perhaps even on a rotational basis.

I’ve heard that while it might be nearly impossible to locally find bottles of WL Weller(any of the varieties), Blanton’s, Elmer T. Lee, Rock Hill Farms, etc. If you were to go out west to Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, you can find cases of them.

So, if anyone is heading out west, keep an eye out. You might be able to make some local friends very happy, or even make a few bucks if you went to the secondary market for some of those bottles.

Note, I’m not talking about the limited release bottles from Buffalo Trace’s Antique Collection, just talking about what used to be ‘common’ bottles.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

1)Bib and tucker
    2) knob creek
    3) black velvet (oh yes, I went there!)

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

if you can find a bottle, pick up the Glenfiddich IPA Cask.
    pricey, but just delightful.

FryDog62

Funny… long time Scotch guy, but was in Nashville last night. Well when in Rome… had one of their local Bourbons. Oh yeah!

Attachments:
    1. 78F416DF-0390-4F07-887D-81CC282150B8.jpeg

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

Decisions, decisions…

Attachments:
    1. 20181203_221818.jpg

FryDog62

“The Old fashion is Wisconsin.
    They can be had with whiskey or brandy.
    They can be had with sweet or sour.
    Taste buds can vary. So can old fashions…”

True story from back in the 70’s. My dad is traveling on business for IBM with a co-worker from somewhere around here and they have a stopover in Amsterdam on their way to a business meeting in Germany…

They head to the bar and my dad orders his usual Scotch and water, and his buddy says “I’ll have an Old Fashion, with Brandy..” Bartender turns to him in thick Dutch accent and asks “So what part of Wisconsin you from?” And then a big laugh and quipped “Did ya git yer buck this year?!?”

Dad’s Glenlivet shoots out his nose..

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Enjoy in moderation.

Attachments:
    1. F3085461-0A87-44A8-BB2A-35AE0951FEAB.jpeg

BoatsHateMe

Oh man I just had that Basil Hayden’s for the first time a couple of nights ago and it did not disappoint. I can’t belive I’ve gone this long without trying that. Pretty sure that’ll be my next after-work-drink bottle.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

BH fits my taste buds the best…so far.

Buckeye1

Jefferson’s Ocean
    Blanton’s

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Good day, or GREAT day?

Attachments:
    1. DEFE8580-ECB5-40D5-8E1E-40205FF92108.jpeg

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 597 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.