Bourbon & Tennessee Whiskey

• John Rasmussen
    Blaine

John,
    You are correct, and I have a pretty good story about that but way too long to print.
    We’ll have to sit down with a bottle on the table and I’ll explain.

Sounds like a plan. waytogo

Justin Donson

Got an early Christmas gift from my uncle. Haven’t had their Rye before so looking forward to it if it’s close to a good as their other offerings.

I was a fan, but you definitely need to like sweeter whiskies. It’s a very dessert-like drink!

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Eelpoutguy wrote:</div>
    Just found this a couple days ago. First I ever heard of it now I’m seeing it everywhere.

Not sure how I feel about these blended bourbons. I mean if I understand it correctly they take a bunch of different ones and put it in there barrel and then I am supposed to pay a pretty penny for it without even knowing what I am buying. Maybe I am dumb and someone can clear this up for me.

You understand it correct. You’re really paying for someone’s blending experience and palette. I’d recommend finding bottles that specifically call out what they are blending or come from someone well-known. A talented blender can make delicious whiskey, a not-talented blender can make very average to bad whiskey.

It’s also a big moneymaker right now. Buy some 4-8 year old barrels from MGP, blend them together, and charge a premium.

If a really good blender makes a wonderful blend, you’ll pay $100+ for it.
    If a really bad blender makes a terrible blend, you’ll pay $100+ for it.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BigWerm wrote:</div>
    Got an early Christmas gift from my uncle. Haven’t had their Rye before so looking forward to it if it’s close to a good as their other offerings.

Werm, did you try it yet? At $80 a pop (so to speak), I only open it for a short one or if a special guest is over.

Opened it tonight and like it. I’d say I prefer their regular bourbon and don’t think I’d splurge on it myself. Slightly better than Bulleit Rye, which I also like, but not for 2x the cost of Bulleit.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

Not sure how I feel about these blended bourbons. I mean if I understand it correctly they take a bunch of different ones and put it in there barrel and then I am supposed to pay a pretty penny for it without even knowing what I am buying. Maybe I am dumb and someone can clear this up for me.

yes, well, sort of…whether it’s a blend or a single barrel or small batch or batch proof or whatever else – any time you’re asked to lay down a pretty penny for something find somewhere to try it first. does it taste good? yes? go buy it.

some NDP brands are more transparent about their sources than others – and while it’s true that there’s an abundance of Ross & Squibb juice out there under other labels for both blended and non-blended whiskey, including Bulleit – the range of options being used in blends continues to get wider as more and more distilleries come on line.

i’m going to Kentucky in March for a golf and bourbon-ism trip and three of the bottles on my shopping wish list are actually blends: Pursuit United, Barrel New Year, and Midwinter Night’s Dram.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Opened it tonight and like it. I’d say I prefer their regular bourbon and don’t think I’d splurge on it myself

Glad you liked it, I agree I have there regular and enjoy it

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>John Rasmussen wrote:</div>

yes, well, sort of…whether it’s a blend or a single barrel or small batch or batch proof or whatever else – any time you’re asked to lay down a pretty penny for something find somewhere to try it first. does it taste good? yes? go buy it.

some NDP brands are more transparent about their sources than others – and while it’s true that there’s an abundance of Ross & Squibb juice out there under other labels for both blended and non-blended whiskey, including Bulleit – the range of options being used in blends continues to get wider as more and more distilleries come on line.

i’m going to Kentucky in March for a golf and bourbon-ism trip and three of the bottles on my shopping wish list are actually blends: Pursuit United, Barrel New Year, and Midwinter Night’s Dram.

Thanks for your guys input on the blended stuff. I agree I would like to try them first, it’s just difficult sometimes.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

Thanks for your guys input on the blended stuff. I agree I would like to try them first, it’s just difficult sometimes.

can definitely be tough, though you’ve got good options near you in the TC metro.
    – Handsome Hog
    – Marvel
    – Happy Gnome

ThunderLund78

Was gifted a bottle of Four Roses single barrel from my team at work for Xmas. I told my wife I was going to have a taste and she said “How about you finish the other 3 bottles on the bar you have open, first?”

I said ” right after you throw out 19 of the 20 pairs of shoes by the door that I constantly trip over!”

GAME-SET-MATCH!!!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Was gifted a bottle of Four Roses single barrel from my team at work for Xmas. I told my wife I was going to have a taste and she said “How about you finish the other 3 bottles on the bar you have open, first?”

I said ” right after you throw out 19 of the 20 pairs of shoes by the door that I constantly trip over!”

GAME-SET-MATCH!!!

And little do they know, but I enjoy utilizing that coal for Christmas in the Weber Kettle with a nice brisket! rotflol

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

GAME-SET-MATCH!!!

Oh this man opened pandora’s box shock

ThunderLund78

The couch was VERY comfortable last night! jester

Kelly Jordan
    Fort Atikinson,Wisc

Looking thru this thread, as I’ve come enjoy a sip more often. I must be getting more refined: lol Have a good start to my home bar so far.Or as most call it a kitchen counter waytogo

Woodford Reserve. Distillers select.
    Four Roses, small Batch
    Angels Envy port barrel finished
    Elijah Craig, Small Batch
    Jefferson ocean aged voyage 25

Like them all, but the Jeffersons is good (wheated).

Have some to try by suggestions here.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I think I’ll be having some Blanton’s and Makers Private Select for the special pours and my standard Old Forrester 100 for my regular drinking.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I picked up some Four Roses Small batch today. I think it’s pretty good. Is the single barrel the same?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I picked up some Four Roses Small batch today. I think it’s pretty good. Is the single barrel the same?

It is not.
    Single barrel is just that, it comes from a single barrel whereas a small batch is typically a blend of a dozen barrels or so.
    It comes down to what you like, for me I really haven’t came across a Bourbon I didn’t like.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Does this ring a bell to a few?! devil

Attachments:
    1. 23650.jpeg

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Does this ring a bell to a few?! devil

OMG –
    That could very well be taking place in Iowa right now.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

rotflol that’s where I got it from!! rotflol

Iowaboy1

Well,, I get bored very easy and I’ve been home for two days cause we are drifted in, and we have a holiday this weekend on top of it.

Iowaboy1

stupid picture wont load, round 2

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Well,, I get bored very easy and I’ve been home for two days cause we are drifted in, and we have a holiday this weekend on top of it.

You must have gotten what we were supposed to have! Only 2-1/2″ here.

Iowaboy1

Five inches here Denny, ditches filled up when winds switched from the SE to out of the NW, drifts were to high too drive over, over bumper high yesterday at 7 Am to over my hood at five AM this morning.
    Two days with no work on top of a holiday weekend makes for a bored soul.

Sparkles!!! the bottle is empty and I am getting blood in my JP80 vein !!

Attachments:
    1. meanwhile-in-Iowa-during-a-blizzard-scaled.jpg

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

all i have to say is LMFAO

glenn57
    cold spring mn

rotflol rotflol rotflol only you!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Neighbor in the 80’ houseboat bought a bottle of Tincup. I thought it was to gimmicky to be any good, but I was wrong. 100 proof and smooth.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Brother had some Johnnie Blue and Old Forester Statesman last night. Both really good! Blue isn’t worth the price tag for purchase imo, but I’ll never pass it up for free!

Attachments:
    1. E32A4DFD-AB81-4189-9372-975BAA71C37C-scaled.jpeg

2. EC60AD51-883D-4412-B9A4-9B5B586EB86E-scaled.jpeg

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Kids got me this for X-Mass gonna cork it tonight. I can hardly wait. toast

Attachments:
    1. Yellowstone-scaled.jpg

David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

Every year for the last 5 I have received my Scotch Whiskey Advent Calendar, 25-1 dram bottles of different whiskey, one for each day of Advent. You can also buy a whiskey/bourbon version https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/46723/bourbon-and-american-whiskey-advent-calendar-2022-edition-24x3cl?source=us and it’s pretty good. Kind of expensive but you won’t find Windsor or Johnny Walker in it for sure. It’s a great way to try different brands and it’s fun as well. In my case my friend who sends me the Scotch upgrades the calendar to a higher level, one gets brands you’d probably never buy or for that matter even heard of. I know it comes from England and is pretty extensive. I highly recommend these for a surprisingly great variety of whiskey’s.

Brad Dimond

I received a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue for a retirement gift. Good but not worth the price tag. I’d rather have a bottle of Four Roses 100 Proof Single Barrel or Macallan Double Cask 12Yr Single Malt for a quarter or a third of the cost. Then again, it’s darn good for what I paid for it.

Viewing 30 posts - 451 through 480 (of 597 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.