Border Crossings During Govt Shutdown

• AK Guy

If the government shuts down October 1st, will I have trouble coming back in the US from Canada? Specifically, the Roseau border crossing.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

No, Border Patrol is deemed essential and they continue working (without pay) during a shutdown.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i would also caution for anyone hunting that hunts government land, IF they shut down, you wont be allowed on those properties. i ran into that the last time they shut down up north chasing grouse etc. ever place that had government land with a trail had a barrier on it and or signs saying stay out!!!

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

i would also caution for anyone hunting that hunts government land, IF they shut down, you wont be allowed on those properties. i ran into that the last time they shut down up north chasing grouse etc. ever place that had government land with a trail had a barrier on it and or signs saying stay out!!!

Glenn are we talking public hunting land?

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

That’s interesting. Of all the times the Govt. has shut down I’ve never encountered that. That would suck !!!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

John yes….i believe it would be any federal land!!! its what i ran into some years back!!!!!

thumper…..up in the area we frequent there is alot of scattered federal land all over the place!!!!!!!

i dont thing state land is affected however.

Gitchi Gummi

the superior national forest is ~4 million acres. Not a chance they have the resources to put a road closed sign on every access point.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

John yes….i believe it would be any federal land!!! its what i ran into some years back!!!!!

thumper…..up in the area we frequent there is alot of scattered federal land all over the place!!!!!!!

i dont thing state land is affected however.

That is accurate. Federal land is maintained by the the US Fish & Wildlife Service, the US Forest Service, and the Bureau of Land Management. Most of their operations are not considered essential and they will operate with a skeleton crew, so they will be putting up barriers. National Parks may also have limited operations, up to and including closure.

State land like WMAs and WPAs are unaffected.

Deuces

Need my passport done before new year, hope I don’t have to delay margaritas chased

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

the superior national forest is ~4 million acres. Not a chance they have the resources to put a road closed sign on every access point.

I agree with this statement, however it still might suck if some of your favorite trails/ areas are not open.

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

I found it amazing that they “shut down” but still had time to put up barriers at every location that is normally unmanned anyway.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

This always makes me chuckle, like the Govt can shut down lakes, rivers, woods, prairies and mountains. My only issue with Govt shutdowns, is that they always open back up again. whistling jester I feel like any federal agency not considered essential by the Feds themself and society in general, shouldn’t really exist anyway.

CaptainMusky

SO what are they going to do? If they dont have someone there to patrol it, no sign saying its closed who is going to enforce it? How would anyone know they were closed if there is nothing stating as such and no way they post signs at every WPA or Federal land.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I feel like any federal agency not considered essential by the Feds themself and society in general, shouldn’t really exist anyway.

That’s not how it works. There isn’t any single agency that is considered non-essential. There are just some employees working in them that are considered non-essential. Even the Pentagon has non-essential employees that work for the Dept of Defense.

Some of my work is essential and some of it is non-essential. I don’t get to make those decisions. And no matter the classification, everyone gets back pay regardless. So a lot of people basically get a retroactively paid vacation. Others keep working without pay. Even active duty soldiers, coast guard, border patrol, federal prisons, etc and other hazardous lines of work. IMO that’s ridiculous to make people work in dangerous jobs without any pay.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

^^^^^^^^ and some will be required to work WITHOUT being paid till a later date.

there is a fix to that however……they shut the government down……the politicians dont get paid either!!!!!! waytogo

but that wont ever happen……….. smash doah

i truly get your guys arguement…..i’m just letting you know what i seen happen the last time.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Go around the barricades

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Go around the barricades

Of course but I’m not bringing my bolt cutters with if I want to drive down a closed road.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>
    Go around the barricades

Of course but I’m not bringing my bolt cutters with if I want to drive down a closed road.

Me either, we opted to take the Ditch

Deuces

In the city it’s sidewalks not ditches lol. Stupid parking rules

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

SO what are they going to do? If they dont have someone there to patrol it, no sign saying its closed who is going to enforce it? How would anyone know they were closed if there is nothing stating as such and no way they post signs at every WPA or Federal land.

I seem to remember a post I had about the No Wake buoys on the horseshoe chain. Most here seemed to believe it was the intent of bouy’s not the actual presence of them that mattered. Don’t see how this issue is any different

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I did read somewhere that if the government shuts down it will impact air travel, as TSA officers have few incentives to show up to work and air controllers are working without pay in some instances.

The idiots in Washington are trying to make it harder for me to get out of here and spend a week on the beach in Barbados in mid October. If they think January 6th was bad, they have no idea what is coming if Mrs. Bucky can’t get to one of her beach vacations on time smash flame smash

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Federal, state and city lands are owned by the people of this country who pay taxes… Carry on

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I did read somewhere that if the government shuts down it will impact air travel, as TSA officers have few incentives to show up to work and air controllers are working without pay in some instances.

That’s what actually triggered an end to the last shutdown during the Trump administration that lasted 35 days. Air Traffic Controllers began calling in sick because they were “sick” of working without pay and it resulted in major delays at airports.

My guess is that a week or two would probably not be a major issue but if it goes longer, those sort of problems will arise. The line to get through TSA security will be hours long.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Just another way that the Government has to control us. Their control of citizens grows stronger and Stronger each year. But Hey, lets just worry about hunting and fishing issue’s jester

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

In the city it’s sidewalks not ditches lol. Stupid parking rules

I’ve been in the construction business a long time. If you have a strobe on your truck, you can drive any where. Bike paths are also not off limits

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Just another way that the Government has to control us. Their control of citizens grows stronger and Stronger each year. But Hey, lets just worry about hunting and fishing issue’s jester

Should we start another thread where we can all complain about the same things you guys do in every other thread for the last 3 or 4 years ?

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

I have a really hard time believing this. Are you sure that’s why it was closed or was or possibly for another reason that you weren’t aware of?
    It’s OUR damn land. Just because the government can’t do their jobs and avoid a shutdown we lose our rights to OUR land as citizens?
    Not buying it.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>

I seem to remember a post I had about the No Wake buoys on the horseshoe chain. Most here seemed to believe it was the intent of bouy’s not the actual presence of them that mattered. Don’t see how this issue is any different

No wake bouys are there to prevent erosion and damage to lake shore. I can’t for the life of me see how you can relate that to a sign or gate in public forest if it was blocked or closed for no other reason than a government shutdown.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.