Border Crossing/Reporting Change – feedback?

• g i mike

Already thinking spring/summer 2019 and wondering if anyone had any experiences or issues with the Canadian Border Patrol last summer (open water) with the border crossing/reporting law change?

I have had a RABC for the past 20-ish seasons and only cross by water to fish, don’t anchor, and never go ashore in Canada.
    The new law would indicate I no longer need one but wondering what anyone’s experience was if you were stopped or checked?

Yes, I know all about the Ranier guides/snowmobiles/customers that got ticketed last year so don’t need to re-hash that fiasco.

Thanks in advance.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Everything i’ve read says you don’t need one. That said i spend the few bucks one costs to make sure anyway. grin

g i mike

Agree completely Dutchboy. Just curious if anyone had a different experience getting checked by the CaBP with or without last year.

Dennis Williams
    Apple Valley, MN

I have gotten the RBAC for years. My friend from IFalls told me I did not need one last year. The resort I stayed at said I did not need one also. I fished the Canadian side every day without the RBAC. I did not get checked but am confident I was within the new rules. The rules that you can’t anchor or touch land apply. Not sure what would happen if had engine trouble and drifted to shore.

g i mike

Thanks for the insight Dennis. Yes it would be interesting to find out what occurs if you had some sort of an emergency.

Timmy

Thanks for the insight Dennis. Yes it would be interesting to find out what occurs if you had some sort of an emergency.

Remember the guys that capsized and drifted to a Canadian island last summer(I think it was last season?). They got a fire going and spent a day or so before being rescued. By the news reports, it did not sound like they were cited for anything….and CN officers are who rescued them.

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

I have gotten the RBAC for years. My friend from IFalls told me I did not need one last year. The resort I stayed at said I did not need one also. I fished the Canadian side every day without the RBAC. I did not get checked but am confident I was within the new rules. The rules that you can’t anchor or touch land apply. Not sure what would happen if had engine trouble and drifted to shore.

I was told you cannot get near any other boat without the RACB. Something about not passing fish from boat to boat.

Dennis Williams
    Apple Valley, MN

I believe you cannot party fish in Ontario. You have to catch your own fish. Lots of rules in Ontario. Can be a little frustrating if it is your 1st time up there.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.