Best Burger List

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I must have terrible luck. I’ve been to the Lions Tap at least 3 times. Burgers were poor at worst and mediocre during the best of the visits. Couldn’t believe I was in the same place everybody raves about and this was not just catching the place on an off day.

Ya Lions Tap is real hit or miss for Quality. It is not near as good as it once was. The last few time I ate there it was not real good. Really sad because it once deserved to be on a list of the top 5 burgers in the Metro area

ThunderLund78

I hadn’t been in years until Saturday, but I guess I hit it on a good day because it was excellent. And they definitely season their burgers so you could say it’s saltier, but I didn’t think it was over the top.

Jimmy Jones

The Red Ram in Alma WI has a good burger. Biker bar but friendly atmosphere.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I hadn’t been in years until Saturday, but I guess I hit it on a good day because it was excellent. And they definitely season their burgers so you could say it’s saltier, but I didn’t think it was over the top.

I don’t mean to demean anyone elses opinion, but we go there fairly often (my kids favorite place, I think due to 1919 Root Beer on tap) and IMO Lion’s Tap is about the most consistent place around. What you got is the standard. And the closest to a bad experience, in dozens of trips since moving to the area 8 years ago, was a slightly undercooked burger once.

JEREMY
    BP

I think lions Tap burgers are very salty.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Lions tap, good, not great. Often over rated.

Karl Hungus
    Carver County, Minnesota

I worked in Eden Prairie in the late 70s-80s and Lions Tap was the best burger anywhere in the area. They were a big supporter of softball teams and we went there probably twice a week in those days after games or work. I didn’t go back for decades and probably 5 years ago went there with my wife. We were less than impressed. We both felt it was overpriced and underwhelming taste wise. I remember telling my wife on the way home I’d just go to a Culvers next time. I agree tho, the old saying still holds true: “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder”.

bclii
    MN/AZ

Kings in Miesville!

ThunderLund78

Werm, I got a hot burger tip! I haven’t tried it yet, but this place isn’t too far for either one of us – There’s a guy who’s just starting out – he calls his kitchen “House of Gloor” (or HOG) and he’s operating out of the kitchen of Niesen’s Bar in Downtown Savage. A friend of mine, who’s opinions on food I trust VERY much, says this is his new favorite burger, hands-down. And he also counts Red Cow among his top choices, like you do.

Food on his website looks amazing – full menu here:
    houseofgloor.com

Also has some great stuff on FB.

Mike Schulz
    Osakis/Long Prairie

went over to Scotty’s Bar in Royalton for lunch today, 1st time there, I’ll go back!! bacon cheese burger with mushrooms!!!

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

I have heard great things about House of Gloor, need to check that out.

I met my son at Frenchmans in Richfield. It didnt blow me away, but a very solid burger in a dive bar just outside Mpls area for under $10 is hard to find. Great place to meet for a burger and beer.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Werm, I got a hot burger tip!

Thanks! That looks good, I’ll try and get there sometime soon.

I met my son at Frenchmans in Richfield. It didnt blow me away, but a very solid burger in a dive bar just outside Mpls area for under $10 is hard to find. Great place to meet for a burger and beer.

That is a solid dive bar, drank there before/after softball a few times, but never eaten there. Might have to stop in this summer!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Best Burger Update! Back with another heavyweight in the burger business, The Blue Door Pub – Como. They have been serving up some of the best burgers around for 16ish years, and have spread throughout the Twin Cities with locations in Longfellow, St Paul and Lyn-Lake as well. They have turned the Jucy Lucy on its head with a much wider variety of fillings and their own brand name, The Blucy.

One of my good buddies used to work there and recommended the Cease and Desist Blucy, which is white and yellow American cheese, onion, lettuce, ‘Merican Sauce (think thousand islandish), pickles on the side, and the best fresh cut fries I’ve had in quite a while. The burger was great, super jucy, and perfectly cooked. The bun left a lot to be desired imo, and was not designed for the flavor weight it was meant to carry. But the fries almost stole the show, I’m partial to fresh cut, and these were crunchy and perfect imo.

The Blue Door is often overlooked outside of the neighborhoods they reside in, similar to the real #3 receiver on the greatest offense in NFL history (imo) the 1998 Vikings. And the #3 receiver on that team in yards and TDs, contrary to common misconception, was not Jake Reed, but 8.2 Andrew Glover!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_7884-scaled.jpeg

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

That sounds amazing Werm. Wish one was closer to me. So I had a really good burger the other day, from somewhere I would not have expected to have one. Chilli’s the Bacon Rancher Burger. It’s a meal too might need help finishing it.

JEREMY
    BP

I only went to Chilis once and to follow suit I would give it the Gary Anderson. Or as Jake Taylor in Major League would say. Give him the old #1

ThunderLund78

Werm, I forgot to post a couple weeks ago – I checked out House of Gloor who occupies the kitchen at Niesens Sports Bar in Savage… GREAT burger with some innovative toppings. I had the Chupacabra burger which comes with cheese, a fried egg, special chorizo sauce and pickled onions. Really, really good. Next time I go I’m going to go more basic just to get a good straight burger comparison, but the chupacabra looked too good to pass up. I think you got a Solid Matt Birk – 78 – Or even a Kyle Rudolph – 82? Can’t remember if that was was taken yet – but get over there and check them out!!!

cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

If you get to the Duluth area…try Burger Paradox…on west Superior street by the microbreweries….Fantastic service and food.

Mark Anderson

To be honest the best hamburgers are the ones I grill on my charcoal grill. 80/20 beef, salt and pepper with Velveeta cheese and a raw slice of a sweet onion.
    I also like the burgers at the Good Old Days Bar in Tower, MN. I would bring up third with Culver’s butterburger.
    As far as the Lions Tap burgers, I always order with low or no salt.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Next time I go

Let me know! I’ll meet you especially if it’s for lunch.

If you get to the Duluth area…try Burger Paradox…on west Superior street by the microbreweries….Fantastic service and food.

Good to know, I’m going to knock a few burger joints off on my next trip up there.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Here’s the current list:
    Red Cow 9.3 John Randle
    DeGidios 8.8 Allen Page
    Blue Door 8.2 Andrew Glover
    Parlour 8.1 Anthony Carter
    Lions Tap 8.0 Cris Carter
    6Smith 7.8 Matt Birk
    Silver Bullet 7.7 Gary Larsen
    King’s Place 7.6 Steve Hutchinson
    Nook 7.0 Jim Marshall
    Dan’s 6.5 Gary Zimmerman
    Vic’s 6.4 Randall McDaniel
    Wild Acres 5.8 Jim Langer
    House of Coates 5.8 Eddie McDaniel
    Chaska Legion 5.6 Chris Doleman
    Crooked Pint 5.5 Jack Del Rio/Scott Studwell
    Jordan Supper Club 5.3 Mick Tingelhoff
    Burger Press 5.2 Kailee Wong
    Wildfire 5.0 Jeff Siemon
    Arby’s Wagyu Deluxe 4.7 Joey Browner
    Matty G’s AZ 4.4 Leroy Hoard

bigcrappie
    Blaine

If your ever in the Blaine area Clive’s Roadside has the best burger around.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Why isn’t Mick Tingelhoff noted for 5.3 ?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Why isn’t Mick Tingelhoff noted for 5.3 ?

HA thanks for noticing, must have accidentally been deleted on my list. Updated now, thanks!

Deuces

Birdhouse in Robbinsdale would be my new #1. Fries, burger, excellent. Have a couple brews at wicked wort and stroll over for a burger after, very satisfying couple hours.

Bartman

The Purple Goat in Rochester has amazing burgers. Their patty melt is awesome too…

Pat K
    Empire, MN

To be honest the best hamburgers are the ones I grill on my charcoal grill. 80/20 beef, salt and pepper with Velveeta cheese and a raw slice of a sweet onion.
    I also like the burgers at the Good Old Days Bar in Tower, MN. I would bring up third with Culver’s butterburger.
    As far as the Lions Tap burgers, I always order with low or no salt.

You lost me at Velveeta!

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Recently found one to add to the list. The Hangover Burger at Mac’s Diner in N St Paul. Holy smokes was this good. 1/4 lb smash patty, bacon, cheesy hashbrowns, fried egg and chipotle mayo.

Had it three times last month and it was great every time.

JEREMY
    BP

I just had my first Mcdonalds cheeseburger in probably 20 years. Wont make your list. I cant beleive how busy that place always is. Friggen nasty.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I just had my first Mcdonalds cheeseburger in probably 20 years. Wont make your list. I cant beleive how busy that place always is. Friggen nasty.

I’m not even sure you could call Mcdonalds Cheeseburger a Burger these days. The last time I ate one I think it was about 1/2 the size of what the children’s burger at Mcdonalds use to be. Its sad to see how bad that places food has become – Not that it was ever great to start with

Viewing 30 posts - 181 through 210 (of 218 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.