Best all around open water rod?

• snelson223
    Austin MN

Looking for a all around walleye rod. Something you could jig and possibly rig with. If you could buy anything what would you get?

Dan Baker

The Loomis NRX is probably one the most expensive. If that’s what you’re looking for.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

I think you already own all the above and probably have 3 of each! ) )

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Price range?

If you say get “anything”, why not get two different setups?

Not a budget issue so much just convenience. Having to tie this on, take off retie that on, take back off to switch to this. PIA.

snelson223
    Austin MN

Not looking for most expensive. Looking for what length, power, and most sensitive would be best if you only had 1 rod.

6’8″ or so, medium power, fast action.

PmB

6’6″ med light fast action. Glx or legend elite if not custom

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

6’8″ or so, medium power, fast action.

X2.

Maybe a ML if I fished lakes more and was more a finesse fisherman.

Lynn Seiler

I learned a lesson while fishing out of Mc Ardle’s on Winnie in 1972. An older couple using 12 foot cane poles and 20 feet of line with red and white spoons outfished everyone at the resort. It’s not the equipment, it’s the fisherman. I could spend big money on a rod and still not compete with that couple.

Dan Baker

Oh, makes sense. I agree, 6’8” medium fast or extra fast action.

MnPat1

7’ medium fast shimano clarus. All you need for up here. Around $99.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

6’10”-7’2″ medium, fast.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Limit Creek Smoothie FTW!

Kyhl
    Savage

Fenwick HMG.
    I just ordered a third one (7′ Medium-Fast) and a Pflueger Supreme 30 to put on it.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

JT Outdoor Products JTX 6’8″ would be hard to beat. It is a ML. If you want a true medium, the Black Reign will be out in a couple weeks, and that will be a medium. The JTX is every bit as good as the Loomis NRX and is half the cost. If you have any questions, let me know. I’ve sold off all my St. Croix and G Loomis (including 2 NRXs) and switched to JT rods.

aleb
    Butler county Iowa

Fenwick HMG.
    I just ordered a third one (7′ Medium-Fast) and a Pflueger Supreme 30 to put on it.

Did you get your 25$ rebate form from Mills

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Give me a 6’9 ML Smoothie with a pflueger president strapped to it. Run ya about $150 after you throw on some power pro waytogo

Kyhl
    Savage

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Kyhl wrote:</div>
    Fenwick HMG.

Did you get your 25$ rebate form from Mills

Thanks for the reminder. I need to download it from online. The reel and Suffix 832 came from Amazon.
    The rod was ordered from Reeds. They should be here in a week or so.
    http://www.promosubmissions.com/Content/PDFs/R9527W.PDF

I stopped at Mills and Gander Saturday and was surprised at how little Gander had in stock. They are missing sales.

I should have said that I use this rod for everything, jig, bobber, trolling, casting, and bottom bouncers. I use it for walleyes, bass, and pike. I’d like to have a different rod for each of those things but this one works good enough for me and takes up less space then six different rods.
    It’s on the heavy side for bobber and jigging and I thought about going medium light but it works.

Joel VandeKrol
    Ankeny, IA

JT Outdoor Products JTX 6’8″ would be hard to beat. It is a ML. If you want a true medium, the Black Reign will be out in a couple weeks, and that will be a medium. The JTX is every bit as good as the Loomis NRX and is half the cost. If you have any questions, let me know. I’ve sold off all my St. Croix and G Loomis (including 2 NRXs) and switched to JT rods.

No, it isn’t. If I had a dollar…………………….

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

How will this rod be stored? Is length an issue with transportation??

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

I have not used them all but have tried many different rods. Out of all the rods I have I would not be able to pick one to cover everything but as a generic all-purpose rod I would go with a 7’ ML that is extra fast.

fishdale

If I had only one rod it would 6’6” medium fast. I do prefer a 7 foot ML for rigging but do not like it for jigging. Brand I own a lot of different ones and my favorite is the one that I happen to pull out of the locker.

I always give the Loomis’s to the people that are fishing with me so when I out fish them with a cabelas rod they don’t bitch about the rod.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>John Schultz wrote:</div>

personal preference. In my opinion, I’ll take 2 JTXs over one NRX any day of the week.

Joel VandeKrol
    Ankeny, IA

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Joel VandeKrol wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>John Schultz wrote:</div>

personal preference. In my opinion, I’ll take 2 JTXs over one NRX any day of the week.

Does personal preference have anything to do with getting a 30 % override for each rod you sell? MLM @ it’s finest.

JT’s are Avid X quality at best, and I’ve fished them both.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

@mdmoen
    , Is this the one that extends to 8’3″? I was looking at that on their website and talk about all around versatility. Tempted to order one myself…

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

What ever happened to that kid from Wabasha? Was his name Gabe?

He would have recommended an Ugly Stik, so I feel it’s my duty to carry that torch.

By far the best all around rod out there….that’s under $40….and made by Shakespeare.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matt Moen wrote:</div>

@mdmoen, Is this the one that extends to 8’3″? I was looking at that on their website and talk about all around versatility. Tempted to order one myself…

Nope, the Smoothie is a 6’9” rod. All their stuff is good, though.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.