Bass Fishing In June So Far Has Been…

• Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

On the brutal side for me. I’m not catching much for size or numbers. When I am getting bites, I know are bass I am losing them before they make it into the boat for a variety of reasons. I’ve got the frog and heavy-cover blues. It’s been more than a month since I caught a 4lb fish. I had one on that fit that description a few days ago on a Shower Blows, the fish hung me on the bottom, and I ended up breaking off. So how is your month going?

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

I don’t bass fish much, but I did pull in a 20″ smallie on Sunday last weekend while pulling walleyes out of mille lacs like they were bluegills. I’ve bumped into plenty of larger bass on weedlines mixed in with the walleye also!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’ve only been out once in June. It was decent though. Caught some fish on a weedline using a neko rig, including my biggest largie of the season so far. I’ll be going again in a couple days here. I intend to start targeting docks with the warm weather lately. I think they’ll be looking for relief from the sun and hiding in the shade.

JEREMY
    BP

Hooked a huge one last weekend fishing sunnies with my kids. Ultra light, 3lb test and half an hour later netted about a 9lb carp.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

It’s been really good for me. 30-40 fish days in just 3 or 4 hour trips. Neko was hot throwing on the tops of main lake points and then bringing it back through the weedline. Yesterday that shut off and it took me a bit to find them but after I did I had a great day on docks.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

It’s been very good for us

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>
    I had a great day on docks.

What are using around/under the docks?

T rigged Rage Bug as always.

Attachments:
    1. 5A6A4669-021D-486C-B206-C0BB4437AE92.jpeg

Jimmy Jones

We’ve been on the backwaters a couple times and the second trip was better than the first. Caught bass and pike both times. On the second trip I stuck a doggie about 32″ long, maybe ten-12 pounds. That armored mouth is something…. a hook can go thru the armor, but not come back out of it. I cut the line. Got this dink on the new rod and Tatula 150 reel…. fun!

Every one of our fish has come on a swim bait. 4.3″ Fat Swim Impact or a similar plastic mounted on a 1/8 ounce weighted hook.

mrpike1973

It’s really slowed for me as well. The lake today netted 1 fish each on a Neko, Wacky, Ned, jig and pig, crankbait, and a spinnerbait from 3-20 FOW pattern that doah

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

The shoreline fish will be the ones biting. The mid depth fish on their way to deeper water will have the post spawn tight lips. Give it another week or two and they will start hitting again. I couldn’t buy a neko bite yesterday after catching darn near all the bass in the lake on it the past two weeks. That’s when I moved shallow.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Just got back from a 10 day vacation near Aitkin. No monsters but decent numbers. They were “hitting’ funny”, we had several throw us at the boat, and I had several humongous eats on top waters where I never ever felt them. The big slurp, the bug is gone, and nothing at the hook set. I don’t know, sometimes they don’t commit. I finally ended up making short flips into the cabbage with a quarter ounce jig a big claw trailer to slow down the drop. They’d just pick it up and sit there. Ended up with a fair number of 18 inch fish doing that.

It was interesting fishing in the smoke, mid day felt like first light.

SR

mrpike1973

Very slow weekend for me the fish were not on the weed edges but right in the weeds buried in deep. Variety of lures used got 10 or so fish on each trip we made. The wife got a nice bonus 33 inch pike. I believe they are in there post spawn funk another week should set up a nice weed edge bite I hope.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

The shoreline fish will be the ones biting. The mid depth fish on their way to deeper water will have the post spawn tight lips. Give it another week or two and they will start hitting again. I couldn’t buy a neko bite yesterday after catching darn near all the bass in the lake on it the past two weeks. That’s when I moved shallow.

I think Mahtofire is spot on. Lots of those fish are probably in transition from the shallower water out to the deeper water summer spots. Its often hard to locate #’s of fish during this transition. My guess is the deeper water weedline bite should be in full force within a week or so. I’ve only made it out once so far this June ( Canada trip took up a big chuck of it ) That last outing I found a decent # of fish in the normal deeper water locations. They were mostly smaller fish ( It always seems to take the bigger fish a week or so longer to get there ) My last outing most my fish came on a Jigworm fished in 10-12 Ft of water. I also caught a few on the neko rig. Hope to get back out chasing them soon.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Good tips here. Going to give bass a try tonight at a local spot. Will have to start shallow and see.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I caught about 15 this morning fishing locally. There was a good topwater bite with the low cloud deck until about 10:15am and then the blazing hot sun came out and shut that off. Water temp was 74 degrees. Looks like a hot week of weather is on tap too.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I caught about 15 this morning fishing locally. There was a good topwater bite with the low cloud deck until about 10:15am and then the blazing hot sun came out and shut that off. Water temp was 74 degrees. Looks like a hot week of weather is on tap too.

Nothing better than a topwater bite. I don’t seem to throw them much anymore. I may have to try and fish one more this summer. I normally do a fair amount of Buzzbait fishing in the fall. Love to see a big old bass hit those.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

110 whopper plopper bone color. My favorite top water. It’s that time to start burning it

broeker
    Minneapolis, MN

I was out on a lake near Lake Minnetonka on Monday when it was 90 degrees and full sun, and caught about 20 largemouth by dropping a weightless 5″ senko on an 2/0 EWG deep into the lily pads. Most were about 16″ but I did pull out two 18s and a 17 that were all fat and healthy. I got bass thumb so bad on both thumbs that my fingerprint reader no longer works on my phone.

Jimmy Jones

We had a dandy day yesterday in the backwaters. Typical for this time of year the smaller pike have moved out and larger pike were willing to hit along with better numbers of larger bass. Still tossing soft plastic swim baits on 1/8 weighted hook the picture shows the bait and color along with the weighted hook.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1404-scaled.jpeg

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

110 whopper plopper bone color. My favorite top water. It’s that time to start burning it

Bone is the greatest topwater color ever. Also my favorite jerkbait color.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

Bone is the greatest topwater color ever. Also my favorite jerkbait color.

What jerk bait do you run in the bone color. I always run perch or blue chrome but I like the idea of bone.

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

I love the pink x rap.

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

My luck improved this past week. Had quite a few good trips. Got my brother on some quality frog bass each of our 3 trips. I had a good time at my club tournament on North Long; I caught a lot of fish, but so did everybody else. My 14lb bag got me 13th Place out of 17 anglers, not great, but I was only a few ounces off of my boaters catch; every other non-boater was at least a pound and a half under their boaters weight.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Got out for a quick outing on Sat. morning. Lots of fish now setting up in the normal deeper water summer location. Caught good #’s of fish on both the deeper weedlines as well as underwater humps. Caught fish on Jigworms, Neko rigs, and dropshot. I would say that the dropshot was probably the best technique for the morning.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Fished the Annandale area last Thursday for league. Nice weed growth and plenty of forage on the weedlines. Tried dropshot, jigs, jigworm on those areas and it was slow. Caught 2 in the deeper weeds, a few in the mid depth weeds and a few near/under docks. They were very spread out.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Fished the Annandale area last Thursday for league. Nice weed growth and plenty of forage on the weedlines. Tried dropshot, jigs, jigworm on those areas and it was slow. Caught 2 in the deeper weeds, a few in the mid depth weeds and a few near/under docks. They were very spread out.

I’m thinking of hitting Sugar or Maple out that way. Two of my Favorite mid summer lakes to fish. I may have to pull off the double lake dip one day next weekend.

tim hurley

Fewer fish on Sugar but they are bigger-you will have fun.

tim hurley

Ok-I mean this year their re fewer on Sugar, know nothing about Maple.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.