Baseball walk up songs

• MNdrifter

Trying to get the boys fired up to swing next week! I’m helping coach my sons 11u baseball team and our league tournament starts on Monday and runs all week through the weekend. We are sitting in 8th seed so we’ve got some work to do just to get to the weekend. We have solid fielding, but can’t get the boys to swing until strike two has been called. It’s been frustrating to say the least. Normally i can’t stand the teams that show up with a boom box and blast a walk up song, but we’re desperate to get these boys to swing in the game! In practice I’ve seen several nukes, but in the game they freeze. Same group of boys for a couple years now. I’ve never seen it before from them.?.?

Couple songs I’ve already got in mind are:
    1. Welcome to the jungle- Guns n Roses
    2.crazy train- Ozzy
    3.Walk- pantera
    4. Godzilla- Blue oyster cult
    5. Enter Sandman- Metallica

Let’s hear your guy’s ideas! Country, rap, rock, must be appropriate for kids.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3544.jpeg

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

My 13 yr old plays baseball. One of the teams they have played a few times has walk up songs and I think it’s pretty cool. This song always brings the house down, especially with the women

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

As far as the kids freezing I’m not sure there is a lot you can do – they just need time and experience. I coached my 11 year old son basketball team this past winter and we would preach techniques and concepts in practice for months and they would do well in practice but when the games came it just went all out the window. The final tournament of the year the kids starting blocking out and rebounding and switching defenders….all the things we had been preaching all year. It’s like something just clicked and I tell you it was a thing of beauty to witness and be a part of. They won the consolation prize for the state tournament after winning only 2 games all season.

In their case I just think they needed time to absorb everything

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Here was one of a few I did for my girls teams.
    Queen

MNdrifter

As far as the kids freezing I’m not sure there is a lot you can do – they just need time and experience. I coached my 11 year old son basketball team this past winter and we would preach techniques and concepts in practice for months and they would do well in practice but when the games came it just went all out the window. The final tournament of the year the kids starting blocking out and rebounding and switching defenders….all the things we had been preaching all year. It’s like something just clicked and I tell you it was a thing of beauty to witness and be a part of. They won the consolation prize for the state tournament after winning only 2 games all season.

In their case I just think they needed time to absorb everything

I don’t know what’s going on. These boys know how to play baseball. We went 14-1 last year! Have several heavy hitters. It’s a funky year.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Here was another one!

And I assume you mean “Warm Up” songs?

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I don’t know what’s going on. These boys know how to play baseball. We went 14-1 last year! Have several heavy hitters. It’s a funky year.

Hmmm that is odd. Yeah most of my kids were pretty new to organized basketball. Not sure what’s going on with your boys.

The best advice I was ever given with kids that age, mostly by people on this forum, is to focus on fun. If the boys are feeling loose and having fun maybe those bats will get off their shoulders

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

And I assume you mean “Warm Up” songs?

A walk up song is a short 5 second song clip thats played when you go from the batters box to home plate to bat

walleyevision

You need to ask each kid individually. Playing songs you like won’t do much for them, personalize it. You may not like their selections, but the kids will love it.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Those sound like songs the dads would like.

Tell the kids to go have fun and enjoy Father’s Day and baseball. Doesn’t get any better regardless of the outcome.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Hell’s Bell’s,love the opening gong.

Baitwaster
    South metro

Tom Sawyer – Rush

Got a few good riffs in it for walk-ups

bullcans
    Northfield MN

My 13 yr old plays baseball. One of the teams they have played a few times has walk up songs and I think it’s pretty cool. This song always brings the house down, especially with the women

rotflol rotflol rotflol Now that’s some funny stuff right there!!!

<div class=”ido-oembed-wrap”><iframe loading=”lazy” title=”George Michael – Careless Whisper (Official Video)” width=”850″ height=”638″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/izGwDsrQ1eQ?feature=oembed&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share” allowfullscreen=””></iframe></div>

Netguy
    Minnetonka

but can’t get the boys to swing until strike two has been called.

They are watching Buxton, Correa and Kirilloff too much.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Centerfield
    John Foggerty

Deuces

The 10 has some rick Ross for hers

lol

Stanley

The last 2 tournaments for my sons 12u we played against a couple teams that had walk up songs. One team had the players name and song the other just the song but it sounded like the songs were picked by the kids not coaches. I agree let the kids pick. We have talked about it for our team also and what I thought my son would like he had no interest in except “Barbie girl” did get a maybe rotflol

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Haven’t come across any teams doing the walk up songs yet, but I’m guessing playing rush and old songs won’t do It for the kids. You have to ask them what there jam is. My kid is in 12u ball and is undefeated this season. The team looks awesome so far. My kid plays pitcher and first base. In this league he can only pitch for 3 innings per game and the last 2 games he hasn’t allowed a single hit against his pitching. It’s so fun to watch the confidence build. As for not swinging sounds like laps around the baseball field , if it is becoming a bad habit like you say then it would be addressed immediately by push ups, laps, and other exercises

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

As for not swinging sounds like laps around the baseball field , if it is becoming a bad habit like you say then it would be addressed immediately by push ups, laps, and other exercises

It’s been MANY years since I played baseball at that age but when we stood there in the box with the bat on our shoulders and let strikes fly past, we ran laps for it. Running laps got old quick.

Is it possible that this boom box music is a distraction? I’m no coach but I would tend to think the batter should be focusing on his upcoming at bat, not trying to get jiggy with it or trying to figure out what song is being played. Just a thought.

Stanley

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>
    As for not swinging sounds like laps around the baseball field , if it is becoming a bad habit like you say then it would be addressed immediately by push ups, laps, and other exercises

It’s been MANY years since I played baseball at that age but when we stood there in the box with the bat on our shoulders and let strikes fly past, we ran laps for it. Running laps got old quick.

Is it possible that this boom box music is a distraction? I’m no coach but I would tend to think the batter should be focusing on his upcoming at bat, not trying to get jiggy with it or trying to figure out what song is being played. Just a thought.

In my experience each kid had their own song for when they batted and it only plays for like 5sec. As for the laps thing we were beating a team this year and their coach made them all run from the dugout to the foul line pole between one inning. They came back and beat us.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

13u here…..

Mom’s arranged it… kids chose songs… us coaches didn’t really care…

My son is not into current music… just listens to what we have on…

He chose Back in Black – AC/DC

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.