Anyone Listen to Oliver Anthony- Rich Men North of Richmond?

• CaptainMusky

IDK, I always felt myself paying to the lyrics and what the message was. It didnt inspire me to do anything with it, but I definitely paid attention to the lyrics. Still do.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Tell me you don’t know the words to Dirty Deeds. Just try to tell me. whistling Modelo is the new #1 and I helped ! toast

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

IDK, I always felt myself paying to the lyrics and what the message was. It didnt inspire me to do anything with it, but I definitely paid attention to the lyrics. Still do.

I have always broke down lyrics, meanings and messages. But I’m a very musically in tune person

CaptainMusky

I have always broke down lyrics, meanings and messages. But I’m a very musically in tune person

Yeah, the music really can speak to you which is what I really enjoy.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Imagine hearing the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald and not hearing the lyrics. crazy doah

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Did anyone here honestly listen to music for the author’s “message” before the age of 30/marriage/parenthood/full time adulting??

Absolutely. One song comes to mind. Still can’t stand “Dust in the Wind” by Kansas. Horribly depressing. Kinda like the one in the OP. Turn the channel as soon as it comes on.

…..and I was a 15 YO kid when that tune hit the charts with constant radio play back in the 70’s.

-J.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

He’s reportedly making a modest middle class income of $40K.

Per day.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Per day.

Should be after writing a great song. Doesn’t change the story.

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

Per day.

So what? The guy wrote a song that is resonating with a lot of people.

At least he isn’t getting rich in that town north of Richmond.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

But he turned down $8M.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

My point is my original comment that seemed to set you people off. Apparently weighing in with a differing opinion is grounds for cancellation.

I’m just here trying to ride this philosophical rollercoaster.

ThunderLund78

He has a day job, but he will make a handsome living of the monetization of his YouTube views and streaming service royalties – it wont be 8 million or even close. But it will be a well-deserved raise for the man. The beauty of being self-produced is you don’t have anyone else to pay-off. Good on him!

His biggest challenge now will be following-up. Like it or not, there’s a group of people who needed a voice that have made him their torch-bearer. I think he’s got the passion but can he maintain control of his message while also keeping it fresh and not let it be corrupted or usurped by others.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

My point is my original comment that seemed to set you people off. Apparently weighing in with a differing opinion is grounds for cancellation.

I don’t think any one was set off, I’m guessing that’s what you want ? he made a great song that millions of people obviously enjoy or relate to, that’s the exact reason for the song. I know you want to wiggle in and be right and throw it in some ones face, but I’m missing your standing ground. His song is very popular, of course it’ll make him money.
    When you say, ” it set You people off”. Who was set off ? I seen a comment or 2 that followed up with you but most ignored you overall

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Well, it seems to be you specifically that always gets hung up on everything I say.

I replied to no one comment in this thread but it’s always you that feels the need to correct me yet accuses me of trying to be “right” all the time.

You have the freedoms to keep scrolling but seem to lack the ability.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Well, it seems to be you specifically that always gets hung up on everything I say.

I replied to no one comment in this thread but it’s always you that feels the need to correct me yet accuses me of trying to be “right” all the time.

You have the freedoms to keep scrolling but seem to lack the ability.

I always just Engage in conversations. Not hung up, just asking what the point was so I can put a value to it. Still haven’t picked up on your point. Besides he made some money on this song so his lyrics are hypocritical, or now he is as bad as the politicians he is speaking of ? Or now more of his dollars will buy chocolate for the lazy and obese ? Just curious.

Beast

love that song, he turned down a 8 million dollar record deal, said something to the effect it would be hypocritical to take it.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I think the point biggill is making is that people are lauding the fact that he turned down the man’s money as if he’s some sort of Robin hood who’s just like you and me. Well if you’re making 40k a day that adds a bit to that story doesn’t it? By turning down that 8M he has all you boys talking. That’s some good publicity right there and if you’re earning 40k a day well you can afford to turn down “the man”.

A man eating Ramen that turns down 8M on principal is demonstrating something. A man making more in a week than most of us make in a year is just a rich man south of richmond

Still a good song and doesn’t change my opinion of him.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

My Pandora Sturgill Simpson station is now playing Oliver! yay

Good for him. Without knowing anything about him or how he got where he is (I haven’t done the research), I really don’t understand what his net worth or his earnings has to do with what he feels and the message in this song. Or, what kind of person he might be for that matter. From the sounds of it, he earned it the honest way. Which is a lot more than can be said for the rich men (and women) north of Richmond.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

My Pandora Sturgill Simpson station is now playing Oliver! yay

Good for him. Without knowing anything about him or how he got where he is (I haven’t done the research), I really don’t understand what his net worth or his earnings has to do with what he feels and the message in this song. Or, what kind of person he might be for that matter. From the sounds of it, he earned it the honest way. Which is a lot more than can be said for the rich men (and women) north of Richmond.

That was what I was asking.

Beast

before his song took off he was earning 14.50/ hour at his regular job, working 6 days/ week. I think that qualifies him to have knowledge of the struggles many face.

topshotta

I thought that Republican leadership in the south was going to bring so much prosperity to the common man? Reagan is long gone and guys in the south are still waiting for something to trickle down. The 10 lowest median income states are all republican-led, and the 10 highest are not (aside from VA, which is really more of a purple state) MN is 13th, way ahead of the supposed promised land of TX, FL, TN.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Some are upset because he isn’t working overtime for bullshit pay. How they suppose to get their rebates from him ?

Beast

God knows we’re all doing so much better under this administration. moon

big_g
    Isle, MN

As far as the south, a study done at The U of Iowa shows EVERY state going down in unemployment, 2016-2018 except one state… West Virginia, because of the coal mines being phased out. Remember when everybody was hiring, people were upgrading jobs and their pay.. because the economy was on fire. RV sales, Boat sales, Big kid Toys (UTVS & ATVS) were not even hitting the showfloor… everybody had weekends off and were living large… and then Covid. Yup, it took that to shut it down.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

Just heard the song for the 10th time in the past few days. It is definitely unique and well thought out. After listening to this many times, I dont feel he has any sway on political party, and he is more or less just singing about those that are under-helped in general.

When I see any type of news on TV or the Internet, there are so many stories that are pitched against a person or political opponent instead of those that are caught in the middle He seems to be in the middle (along with those he sings about)

A few years ago, I called my local food bank because I had enough panfish in my freezer (in WI its 50 for possession) and I was looking to donate to those in need. The response I got was grateful, but they could not accept it because it was not commercially packaged.

Sometimes its almost harder to help those in need?

mojocandy101
    Alexandria, MN

Just heard the song for the 10th time in the past few days. It is definitely unique and well thought out. After listening to this many times, I dont feel he has any sway on political party, and he is more or less just singing about those that are under-helped in general.

When I see any type of news on TV or the Internet, there are so many stories that are pitched against a person or political opponent instead of those that are caught in the middle He seems to be in the middle (along with those he sings about)

He posted a video earlier today about how funny it was that the GOP played his song at the debate. He went on to say that song wasn’t written about Biden but how it was bigger than him and was written about them and many others. I wonder if he’ll get canceled now?

big_g
    Isle, MN

No he won’t get cancelled. The Republican nominee wasn’t even on the stage for that. jester jester jester

riverbassman

He posted a video earlier today about how funny it was that the GOP played his song at the debate. He went on to say that song wasn’t written about Biden but how it was bigger than him and was written about them and many others. I wonder if he’ll get canceled now?
    [/quote]
    Canceled? Republicans dont like cancel culture (unless it’s Budlight).

Umy
    South Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Biggill wrote:</div>

I don’t think any one was set off, I’m guessing that’s what you want ? he made a great song that millions of people obviously enjoy or relate to, that’s the exact reason for the song. I know you want to wiggle in and be right and throw it in some ones face, but I’m missing your standing ground. His song is very popular, of course it’ll make him money.
    When you say, ” it set You people off”. Who was set off ? I seen a comment or 2 that followed up with you but most ignored you overall

AS did I as well Bearcat coffee

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 99 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.