Anyone Listen to Oliver Anthony- Rich Men North of Richmond?

• FinnyDinDin

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>FinnyDinDin wrote:</div>
    How come no one cares about rappers singing about gangs and violence in our cities and cursing out the system? I won’t spell it out because I think most of us can read between the lines on why that is.

I am curious what rap song your talking about that compares to the same message here in the OP? Not bashing rap but 95% of what I hear today has made my head spin.

The messages are far worse. Kill whitey, kill cops, kill trump. Not a peep from the media or politicians.

But here a couple country boys sing about the current problems in our country and the liberals and their media they control scream racism. There is really nothing racist about either songs/videos but then again everything is racist to far left.

These songs became so popular because the libs cried about it. Without that they wouldn’t be a blip on anyones radar. I suppose the artist should appreciate the left for that because they are both making bank.

FinnyDinDin

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>FinnyDinDin wrote:</div>
    I think popularity says a lot about the state of our nation and what most people feel about it.

idk if id say country music represents most people. I think if you asked most people, they dont like country music

I never said country music represents most people.

So it seems you are agreeing with my post? I’m confused.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I hadn’t heard of the song until reading this.

My take:

No problem with the song or lyrics. The guy is talented. The tone mixed with the lyrics sounds whiney as hell though.

Most people’s lives and work are tough at times. That’s when I choose to look at my purpose (daughters, wife) and just keep rolling knowing every day starts new and I’m building them a better future day by day. If you’re waiting on some politicians to change or stop being corrupt…you’ll be waiting a lifetime

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I hadn’t heard of the song until reading this.

My take:

No problem with the song or lyrics. The guy is talented. The tone mixed with the lyrics sounds whiney as hell though.

Most people’s lives and work are tough at times. That’s when I choose to look at my purpose (daughters, wife) and just keep rolling knowing every day starts new and I’m building them a better future day by day. If you’re waiting on some politicians to change or stop being corrupt…you’ll be waiting a lifetime

Amen to that!

-J.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I’m far from a country music guy. But if this guy has not come across your feed, check out Buddy Brown – Truck Sessions on YouTube. Good stuff!

-J.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

The Jason Alden’s thing is blown way out of proportion from all angles. Everyone has a right to sing about practically anything they want. Including hip hop or country music. Similarly, people have every right to speak out against any message that’s in anyone’s music. Perceived message or otherwise. And by people I mean individuals, groups, corporations or whatever. Recording companies, radio stations, broadcast companies all have every right to play what they want or not play whatever they want. These corporations do it as a business decision, not a moral one.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Regarding this song, I can’t help but cringe when rich people sing about being poor, and then criticize the rich.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Regarding this song, I can’t help but cringe when rich people sing about being poor, and then criticize the rich.

Being his first ever song recorded on anything but his phone I don’t believe he is very ” rich ”

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

He’s worth more than anyone on this site.

Except maybe Dutchboy.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

He’s worth more than anyone on this site.

Except maybe Dutchboy.

Having a net worth of a million dollars isn’t what I’d consider rich I guess.

Jonesy

Song is halfway decent until he decides to start hating other poor people then it seems like the message gets lost. Kind of a weird hard right turn.

buschman
    Pool 2

Song is halfway decent until he decides to start hating other poor people then it seems like the message gets lost. Kind of a weird hard right turn.

Are you talking about the welfare portion??

buschman
    Pool 2

Amen to that!

-J.

X3

basseyes

Sounds like Woody Guthrie, Bob Dylan, Aaron Lewis and Kid Rock finally got together and wrote a song. Then Lead Belly produced it. Touch confusing. Do I hate rich people or poor people? Stick it to the man or kick a little dirt in poor people’s face? Politicians are corrupt? Who knew? Breaking news, Washington is corrupt. No c h ! t!

Don’t really understand why anyone on the left would get offended? Other than a light breeze can be offensive. Or why the right wants to make it a new anthem?

This country is constipated with idiotic ideals on both sides.

The deer stand is a nice touch though. Wonder how many deer have been shot out of it? Understandable why PETA would find that offensive.

Jonesy

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jonesy wrote:</div>

Yup. The welfare queen stereotype. Somehow poor fat people are to blame for the issues of poor skinny people. Seems to counter the message hes trying to send with the rest of the lyrics.

buschman
    Pool 2

Yup. The welfare queen stereotype. Somehow poor fat people are to blame for the issues of poor skinny people. Seems to counter the message hes trying to send with the rest of the lyrics.

I get it but believe he is just talking about the system. Not shaming the individuals but the system itself. We have more people living on the street or at home dying of addition or suicide than we have starving. He is singing to them and not trying to shame anyone but the system. Maybe I am wrong but how I view it.

B-man

I don’t know about a lot of you guys, but I just worked a 14 hour day in St. Louis Park on a city water main project amongst a bunch of apartments, many of which are low-income housing.

There was a homicide there last week (it made the news), tons of able-bodied people “hanging out” during working hours, cars getting repoed, needles on the ground (and in our biff), and plenty of “well fed” people.

The sad part is I’ve worked it neighborhoods far worse than it. If you were just driving by or walking down the adjoining block in this neighborhood you wouldn’t even notice it being bad.

Today a group of people were literally yelling/arguing/bragging in excitement about how they were going to spend the $260 getting paid back to everyone in the state (even to those who never paid in a penny, which is another topic itself).

Our country IS FU#KED UP in many ways.

If all you see is sunshine and daisies, I’ll send you a pin to my job site.

The State of Minnesota and the Federal Government are literally enabling and funding this lifestyle (from people like me, and people like you) which will repeat itself over and over again.

I heard on the radio that there’s a proposed bill to raise taxes for St. Paul residents so low income people can get free child care. Are you kidding me???

What ever happened to personal accountability??

I love the song, and agree with almost everything he says (except the bullshit pay, we get paid well for utility work in Minnesota), but you have to WORK FOR IT.

I’m exactly one week away from ever working in the Twin Cities again, and I only wish it were sooner. I’ve sold my soul there for 20 years, and it’s finally paid off.

I know there’s riff raff almost everywhere, but not as concentrated/encouraged/common/enabled like it can be there.

——————–

I’ve been sellin’ my soul, workin’ all day
    Overtime hours for bullshit pay
    So I can sit out here and waste my life away
    Drag back home and drown my troubles away

It’s a damn shame what the world’s gotten to
    For people like me and people like you
    Wish I could just wake up and it not be true
    But it is, oh, it is

Livin’ in the new world
    With an old soul
    These rich men north of Richmond
    Lord knows they all just wanna have total control
    Wanna know what you think, wanna know what you do
    And they don’t think you know, but I know that you do
    ‘Cause your dollar ain’t sh#t and it’s taxed to no end
    ‘Cause of rich men north of Richmond

I wish politicians would look out for miners
    And not just minors on an island somewhere
    Lord, we got folks in the street, ain’t got nothin’ to eat
    And the obese milkin’ welfare

Well, God, if you’re 5-foot-3 and you’re 300 pounds
    Taxes ought not to pay for your bags of fudge rounds
    Young men are puttin’ themselves six feet in the ground
    ‘Cause all this damn country does is keep on kickin’ them down

Lord, it’s a damn shame what the world’s gotten to
    For people like me and people like you
    Wish I could just wake up and it not be true
    But it is, oh, it is

Livin’ in the new world
    With an old soul
    These rich men north of Richmond
    Lord knows they all just wanna have total control
    Wanna know what you think, wanna know what you do
    And they don’t think you know, but I know that you do
    ‘Cause your dollar ain’t sh#t and it’s taxed to no end
    ‘Cause of rich men north of Richmond

I’ve been sellin’ my soul, workin’ all day
    Overtime hours for bullshit pay

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Ill skip the irony of reading this on a fishing site where many guys have 6 fig boats.

Id give my left nut to see Rage Against the Machine play live back in the day. I can see the appeal of the Rich Men song but that whole genre seems awfully diluted with a similar message.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Ill skip the irony of reading this on a fishing site where many guys have 6 fig boats.

Id give my left nut to see Rage Against the Machine play live back in the day. I can see the appeal of the Rich Men song but that whole genre seems awfully diluted with a similar message.

Rage really should have named themselves selves rage with the machine for how liberal they are, sickening and awful to listen to. I used to love rage.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ganderpike wrote:</div>

Rage really should have named themselves selves rage with the machine for how liberal they are, sickening and awful to listen to. I used to love rage.

In the 90’s it was never about being right or left, more of just “sticking it to the man”. But yes, Tom Morello’s a tough listen these days.

CaptainMusky

Well, he just turned down an $8 million dollar deal with the industry because he doesnt want to conform to the man.

jwellsy

IMHO, the rich men North of Richmond love this song. It helps cause strife, confusion and chaos. It separates and isolates people into groups that hate each other, all without offering any grace or hope. But, the main thing is it diverts attention and conversations away the motives and priorities outlined in the websites and books of the NWO.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

really good politically motivated song. great talent and great motivation is hard to beat……got to love hard working people like Oliver and I feel his pain because opportunities are not the same for everyone.

got to get out of those right to work states! people who want change need to look outside the box. why do you think there are so many Packer fans in Minnesota?

Reef W

I’m really confused what some of you thought Rage Against the Machine was about “back in the day”.

Their first album had 4 singles.

The first was about police being racist and said some were the KKK.

The second was about the media brainwashing people so they couldn’t use their “strength as an individual to attack systems like America who continue to rob and rape and murder people in the name of freedom.”

The third was about social inequality and oppression from “landlords and power whores” and his “militant mind” was going to “watch ’em burn”.

The fourth was mainly about Leonard Peltier who Zach said “symbolizes the continuance of the U.S. genocidal policy that’s been perpetrated against the native peoples of this country.”

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’m really confused what some of you thought Rage Against the Machine was about “back in the day”.

Their first album had 4 singles.

The first was about police being racist and said some were the KKK.

The second was about the media brainwashing people so they couldn’t use their “strength as an individual to attack systems like America who continue to rob and rape and murder people in the name of freedom.”

The third was about social inequality and oppression from “landlords and power whores” and his “militant mind” was going to “watch ’em burn”.

The fourth was mainly about Leonard Peltier who Zach said “symbolizes the continuance of the U.S. genocidal policy that’s been perpetrated against the native peoples of this country.”

Nobody was confused

Reef W

Nobody was confused

If you say so…

In the 90’s it was never about being right or left, more of just “sticking it to the man”. But yes, Tom Morello’s a tough listen these days.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

as a teenager of the 90’s I listened to music of many genres. I may have known what SNoop, Garth and Vedder’s lyrics were but I sure as hell put no thought into them…. I jammed to Rage to jam to Rage….. i bumped to Dre to bump to Dre….. nothing more nothing less…

Did anyone here honestly listen to music for the author’s “message” before the age of 30/marriage/parenthood/full time adulting??

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

as a teenager of the 90’s I listened to music of many genres. I may have known what SNoop, Garth and Vedder’s lyrics were but I sure as hell put no thought into them…. I jammed to Rage to jam to Rage….. i bumped to Dre to bump to Dre….. nothing more nothing less…

Did anyone here honestly listen to music for the author’s “message” before the age of 30/marriage/parenthood/full time adulting??

i still dont and i never will. ive heard the same songs 1000s of times and still dont know the lyrics. Just like with beer i could give a rip what the political stance of the company is. if it tastes good going down i drink it

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

there is one thing we can definitely agree on Crappie

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 99 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.