Anyone Listen to Oliver Anthony- Rich Men North of Richmond?

• Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Stumbled across the song on YouTube and must’ve listened to it 100 times in 2 days. I recommend checking it out if you haven’t heard it yet, really speaks to the state of current affairs in the USA.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

It is a great song. We jammed to it all weekend. He just uploaded it on Spotify as well

CaptainMusky

Yeah I listened to it once, stumbled across it actually. Never heard of the guy before and wouldnt you know it now they are trying to cancel him. He speaks the truth though. Just like that Jason Aldean song “try that in a small town” and people claimed it was racist, but it clearly wasnt. Its the most played song on youtube for over a month.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Yeah I listened to it once, stumbled across it actually. Never heard of the guy before and wouldnt you know it now they are trying to cancel him. He speaks the truth though. Just like that Jason Aldean song “try that in a small town” and people claimed it was racist, but it clearly wasnt. Its the most played song on youtube for over a month.

I seen that as well. I guess this song is a little too patriotic, which I didn’t know was a thing.

buschman
    Pool 2

Funny, I was going to post the same thing yesterday.

Its a great song and he sings it like he means it. Oliver Anthony also does a small introduction to himself in a youtube video Its worth watching as well. The same video I watch this weekend is almost at 10 million views now. Just crazy and great to see. I agree 100% that everyone should hear it.

Riverrat

They marketed the poop out of this song since small town.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Listened to it after seeing this. I see why its taking off. great singer and very relatable.

Michael Best

I seen it posted a bunch on social media but hadn’t listened to it till now.
    Great song and a lot of truth to it.
    It’s on ITunes as well. I just bought it.

ThunderLund78

Yup, saw it on Facebook yesterday as well! Great tune, this is what country music should be – real folks, real struggles – not polished lookin’ dudes with a guitar from the suburbs with songs written for them.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Just listened myself and you guys are right great song.

ThunderLund78

This is a few days old, but it’s a bit of a background on him and the song and his life philosophy, for everyone who wants to politicize this guy – I hope he rises above it, steers his message appropriately and doesn’t let anyone else seize the narrative:

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

hadnt heard that song before seeing this thread although think i saw some political crap about him but didnt read it.

Great song! Really great song. Dude has an authentic voice and seems like a good soul. Dont care which “side” he is on, or not on, hope he continues to make music and touch people’s lives.

Sharon
    SE Metro

Unpopular opinion here and maybe it’s because I’m not a country fan, but this song sounds like most of the others to me. I’m not getting the hype. roll

Michael Best

Unpopular opinion here and maybe it’s because I’m not a country fan, but this song sounds like most of the others to me. I’m not getting the hype. roll

I fail to see the resemblance to other country songs. He never mentioned his wife leaving him or the dog dieing.
    Sorry had to take a stab at country music.
    You know how a country singer gets all those things back? Play the song backwards. Lol

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Just a little life lesson. One that took me longer to learn than it should have.

Problem with the song is the guy is dwelling on rich guys and politicians. Government that taxes him too much and spends the money on things he does not agree with. All things he has no controll over. Offers no solution to the problem. Then in the same breath, complains about his job, his pay, the overtime he works that takes him away from the things he wants to spend time doing. All things he does have control over.

Don’t let things that happen around you evey day, things that you have no control over get you down. Work hard on the things that you have control over. Make them happen.

-J.

Deuces

Had the same initial reaction as JJ. Working hard is not necessarily working smart. Don’t have opportunity, move jobs, move states, move countries. Our American ancestors went across oceans for opportunity. Last job post on here shows there is plenty out there rn for all if they really want it.

But, listened to it couple more times and it is a very good song that I’ve added to my playlist. Love when an artist really digs deep vocally. Not a country boy w couple dogs but I can jam to it still the same as busting some caps and throwing some bows in other genres woot

Ripjiggen

Don’t let things that happen around you evey day, things that you have no control over get you down. Work hard on the things that you have control over. Make them happen.

-J.

Couldn’t agree more…

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jon Jordan wrote:</div>

-J.

Couldn’t agree more…

I guess I wouldn’t agree with this. The plight of the down trodden has led to great music throughout history. A message that resonates with people with less than most on here. Folk singers such as Woody Guthrie and Bob Dylan, wouldn’t have had the success they did if it wasn’t for them singing about, “things you can’t control”. Furthermore, I feel that the artist did do something, he sang a song. I would say that voting can fix some things, but I believe Mark Twain said to the effect, if voting did anything, they wouldn’t let us do it. Of course I am paraphrasing, and I don’t have Facebook, so I can’t pull up any memes with the exact quote, should there be one. I just enjoy the song, that’s all.

buschman
    Pool 2

I am with both you guys (Steven and John). Both are right here. You need to have goals or a path to go down but its not always straight and never smooth. Everyone has challenges and this guy is just singing about his.

What separates him is how he is connecting to people right now. Country fan or not he wrote one heck of a song and had no help with a backup band. Just him and his guitar.

If you watch the introduction to himself that Thunderlund posted he explains that singing was the only thing that started healing him and getting him out of the ditch and back on the road. We all experience this in our own way but not many know how to express it. Let alone through music. He sang and recorded himself for two years for himself. Like a journal and now the world is hearing it. The song in the OP is about Addiction, suicide, and the corruptions of todays world are all wrapped into one little piece. Were seeing over the last few days that millions of people appreciate it. I think thats pretty cool.

buschman
    Pool 2

Give this one a listen. Its short so you can listen twice and feel his words. I understand this and know that many others do too or will one day.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Apparently this song and Aldeans try that in a small town are #1 & #2 on country billboard charts right now. Says a lot about how important politics are amongst country music fans I’d say

FinnyDinDin

This is one of those songs that borderlines between country, folk and bluegrass. I’m a big bluegrass fan, like a lot of folk and don’t like most country. A lot of people think I’m crazy and say they all sound the same but not to the trained ear.

I’d have to listen to more of this dude to make up my mind on him and his style/genre. Certainly has a good voice and message.

FinnyDinDin

Apparently this song and Aldeans try that in a small town are #1 & #2 on country billboard charts right now. Says a lot about how important politics are amongst country music fans I’d say

I think popularity says a lot about the state of our nation and what most people feel about it.

Politicians control the news and media but they haven’t figured out to control the artist and music yet. They are doing their best to gain control. The political and media reactions to these songs are certainly telling.

How come no one cares about rappers singing about gangs and violence in our cities and cursing out the system? I won’t spell it out because I think most of us can read between the lines on why that is.

buschman
    Pool 2

How come no one cares about rappers singing about gangs and violence in our cities and cursing out the system? I won’t spell it out because I think most of us can read between the lines on why that is.

I am curious what rap song your talking about that compares to the same message here in the OP? Not bashing rap but 95% of what I hear today has made my head spin.

CaptainMusky

I am curious what rap song your talking about that compares to the same message here in the OP? Not bashing rap but 95% of what I hear today has made my head spin.

Pretty simple for me, I dont listen to rap to even know what their music is rapping about, but if they are rapping about messages such as the one here I would be all for it.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Sorry, Joe… But that song is so very depressing. I personally keep that stuff out of my wheelhouse. Poor guy sounds like he is on the verge of swallowing a bullet.

-J.

buschman
    Pool 2

Sorry, Joe… But that song is so very depressing. I personally keep that stuff out of my wheelhouse. Poor guy sounds like he is on the verge of swallowing a bullet.

-J.

I thought the same thing.. Just shows his writing and issues he has or had going on. Good example of how some people are these days and what they feel. You might never know if you talked to him but sure can tell by his music.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I think popularity says a lot about the state of our nation and what most people feel about it.

idk if id say country music represents most people. I think if you asked most people, they dont like country music

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

If you know what “187” stands for in hip hop from the 90s, that would be a good example.

But generally speaking they talk about similar injustices.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

idk if id say country music represents most people. I think if you asked most people, they dont like country music

I think it’s more popular than you think. We have more country stations than any other type of music and when traveling around it seems more stations you pick up are country. Not saying it fits all people but more popular than its ever been.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 99 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.