Anyone been on pool 4 lately?

• isu22andy

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>isu22andy wrote:</div>
    Bumper boats this weekend ?

By the looks of the back channel ramp, it’s bumper boats weekdays too.

There were two lunching at 6:15 this morning to avoid the rush.

What’s the legalities of sinking an old rotted out metal spring mattress under the dam ? I need some new lures . I promise to remove it. jester

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

6 heading out or out at 6:15 this morning. Yesterday at 4ish there were rigs half way down the road to the woodshed, but a lot of spaces open which tells me many had left.

With Colvill opening up, this should ease some of the congestion.

isu22andy

Anyone get any scratches in their rigs today from bumper boating ? Cripes they were out thick today !

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Fished the River for the 2nd time ever yesterday. Covered alot of ground, ended up trying to force feed fish in 15-17’. Me thinks I need to learn different presentations other than jigs and plastics. Ended up with 4 keepers but dang it did I work for them. Learned alot.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I spoke with 6 different boats over the weekend. (remember, these are fishermen)

3 were vertical
    2 of those had two man limits.
    All reported that it was a slow bite.

3 were trolling
    1 of those had a two man limit
    All had fish but reported it as a slow bite.

It’s funny. Only on P4 can a person catch 4-8 keeper fish and still call it a slow bite. )

Onthewater

Hopefully the fish were biting before their day was ruined. Good advertisement for using your parking break

Attachments:
    1. 20230331_155321-scaled.jpg

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Yeah, that’s gotta suck.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

6:15 Good Friday morning 4/7/23.

Drive by count was 15 rigs waiting with about 15 rigs in the lot already. Talking 50 degrees today.

Jim

It was slow for me Friday. Caught 2 nice saugers and snagged a little sturgeon. Everyone I talked with said it was slow. Anyone have a technique that tripped their trigger?

Dan Buchmann

Slow for us today. Buddy snagged a sheepshead and only saw two other fish caught all day. Fished from 2-28′ and tried several different presentations. Worst day we’ve ever had out there.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Slow for us today. Buddy snagged a sheepshead and only saw two other fish caught all day. Fished from 2-28′ and tried several different presentations. Worst day we’ve ever had out there.

worst day ever huh…..you obviously haven’t fished the pool long enough to humble you then! usually if you are watching to see if others are catching, you are probably in the wrong area. rising water and swift current are usually some of the most difficult conditions tho.

Brady Kubat

Is there a point on pool 4 when the water gets to high they’ll start closing landings? I’d hate to drive 1hr 20mins over there on Saturday and not be able to launch the boat.

Justin Laack
    Austin,mn

Is there a point on pool 4 when the water gets to high they’ll start closing landings? I’d hate to drive 1hr 20mins over there on Saturday and not be able to launch the boat.

Yes baypoint and colville will get closed down at what level that I don’t remember, hopefully Bk can chime in. FYI the rollers came out this morning.

haleysgold
    SE MN

Sure is. This from the spam man in a different thread.

haleysgold
    SE MN

trying again to post a link

I give up.

He said this.
    13.3 feet by the weekend of the 15th. Colvill and Bay Point will be closed due to high water. Everts will likely have one ramp open (just guessing), the back channel will be launchable, but the county may close it down anyway.

Brady Kubat

trying again to post a link

I give up.

He said this.
    13.3 feet by the weekend of the 15th. Colvill and Bay Point will be closed due to high water. Everts will likely have one ramp open (just guessing), the back channel will be launchable, but the county may close it down anyway.

Thanks for that!

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

14′ is forecasted for next Monday morning. I too would assume at that point it’s going to be hard to find open ramps. The owner of Everts will probably chime in with their specifics I’d think. I haven’t launched out of there in some time.

If you don’t care about your rig, there are probably plenty of random places that will have enough water you can shove it off into though waytogo

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Anyone get out fishing this weekend or end of last week?

isu22andy

I was out Friday and Saturday . Friday was rough. Ran all over hell , blazed the back channel for the first time ever. . Fished 10 am till 4:30 without a fish , ended up the place we started ; trust your electronics I guess and scratched up about 12 fish . Saturday was substantionally better . 2 24s and about 25 fish between the two of us . Dubuque rigs . Slow was the presentation . Been struggling pitching every time I’ve tried it

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Over 1/2 dozen rigs at the back channels this morning.
    Stopped at Bay Point last night and I was surprised at how few rigs were there! It was about 4:30-5 pm. One dock is out.

4-5 boats fishing Hay Creek. Talk to a fella pitching from the bank and he said it was slow, only one fish…7 pounds. Then cracked a big smile. It was on a stringer and it was all of 7 pounds.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I spent most the weekend exploring and experimenting. Learned a great deal. Not sharing for the masses at this time.

As Andy said above, continuing to work fish will likely eventually put a few in the boat on the rare bite windows that can and do occur when flow is fluctuating up and down as it did this weekend. It’s hard to accept, but sometimes the changes in the river most confuse the fish so much they forget how up eat. Never seems to happen to me rotflol

I’ve experienced this plenty over the years. Good days and bad.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

i was out monday. rollers opened and lots of crap in the water. fish were there if you could keep bottom contact. i lost count after a dozen or so mostly sauger and one nice 25″ eye. not much action at all down from the Y and the lock rocks.
    it will be interesting if they keep the landings open this weekend. they were sandbagging the buildings at Colvil yesterday.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Enjoyed an awesome day on the water today with the beautiful weather! Took us most of the day to find the fish, really dial in what they wanted and the right jig weight for the flow we fished. Most other boats were having success with Dubuque rigs and probably did better than us. Ended up with 9 fish, and six keepers 15-17”. One fat 21.5” that was released to do her deed and a couple unders. Life’s short, use your PTO! toast

Attachments:
    1. BE8B9F9F-7E44-495C-BEE4-B1405EEDDBF0.jpeg

eyeguy507
    SE MN

nice job werm! how big a jig did you finally go with? i almost had to jerry rig some 3 ounce bottom bouncers to stay in the zone.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

I was also out there Monday…. Fished banker hours with the wife and In-laws. Dubuque rigs for us….. 1 ounce dropper was more then enough for me yet….. in-laws took there limit and we threw back a few more…. all eater size fish or under… I really outfished the others in my boat…. had to pick up the jig off bottom … don’t drag.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

nice job werm! how big a jig did you finally go with? i almost had to jerry rig some 3 ounce bottom bouncers to stay in the zone.

It varied a lot depending on where we were fishing, I wanna say where we ended up catching most our fish it was like 5/8ths or slightly larger. I tried a 1 oz and never got bit.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Also, keep an eye out for BK’s doppleganger, talked to a guy that I assumed was BK. Looked just like him, fishing in a red Skeeter, but have been told it was not actually BK as he was dutifully working yesterday and didn’t want people to think he would be walleye fishing! rotflol

Viewing 30 posts - 91 through 120 (of 162 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.