Anyone been on pool 4 lately?

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

You talked to him? And you didn’t know it wasn’t me??
    First FB imposters and now walleye doubles!!

I was at the Colvill landing yesterday about 4:30. Needed to go into town for gas and thought I would swing through. About 3 more feet and it will be closed.

PS my Solara is more Maroon then Red…and if the guy actually caught a walleye, well…that would be a give away wouldn’t it? LOL!

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Also, keep an eye out for BK’s doppleganger, talked to a guy that I assumed was BK. Looked just like him, fishing in a red Skeeter, but have been told it was not actually BK as he was dutifully working yesterday and didn’t want people to think he would be walleye fishing! rotflol

I always watch for the American flag flying from the stern to know if it is BK or not.

Attachments:
    1. SpamFlag.png

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Out today. Everts closed their launch and she’s rising fast. Water was pretty clean though and fishing was good. Blades, plastics and Dubuque’s all produced.

I think she’s done for awhile…I think all the launches will be closed by this weekend.

canoebasser
    St. Paul, MN

Are launches good now? Was hoping to get out this weekend.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

^0% chance you will find anything open this weekend

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Realistically IF this weekend’s weather system doesn’t drop too much rainfall, I’d be we are still 10 days out from most launches being usable. Some of those that are not suited to high water are probably 2-3 weeks out yet…and that’s if people get the debris cleared out.

My boat will stay parked all of next week and weekend for sure.

Jim

NWS Red Wing river level forecast is 15’ (moderate flood stage) a week from now, 5/3. Red wing landings will still be flooded. And once the flood waters recede, crews will need time to cleanup the landings. I’m thinking it will be at least 2 weeks before Baypoint is open.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Next time your at the back channel, check out the distance between the ground and the bottom of the sign.

Attachments:
    1. WI-Back-Channel-4.25.23-16.3-ft.jpg

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Prescott boat launch is functional in these heights, just a matter of whether or not the city decided to barricade it. The parking lot is sloped, making it an excellent launch at this height. I had a feud with the city last time the water was this high and they closed the landing because someone might sue the city for something the city is not responsible for… weeks later they put up signs at the ramp to “launch at your own risk” rotflol

canoebasser
    St. Paul, MN

NWS Red Wing river level forecast is 15’ (moderate flood stage) a week from now, 5/3. Red wing landings will still be flooded. And once the flood waters recede, crews will need time to cleanup the landings. I’m thinking it will be at least 2 weeks before Baypoint is open.

Thanks for the info!

Prescott boat launch is functional in these heights, just a matter of whether or not the city decided to barricade it. The parking lot is sloped, making it an excellent launch at this height. I had a feud with the city last time the water was this high and they closed the landing because someone might sue the city for something the city is not responsible for… weeks later they put up signs at the ramp to “launch at your own risk” rotflol

I may just try Prescott Saturday then, thanks!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Actually the almost official crest is 16.8′ using the Red Wing gauge.
    7th highest on record.

It will be a little over a week before the ramps start opening with the slow drop of 1.5′ in 7 days. Either way, I’m looking foreword to a “normal” river over the next month!

Attachments:
    1. April-27-2023.jpg

LabDaddy1

Prescott, eh? I lunched there a few times last summer/fall, but have not been on the Croix in high water, at least not from the boat. Is it decently “safe” or feasible right now?

Reason I ask is because my brothers are in town from Florida this weekend and I would like to put them on some fish. Considered doing trout streams but would rather get them out in the new boat! Thanks for any input toast

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

Curious/wondering about accesses on MN opener week….. Would Hok-si-la be closed if these high waters persist? Anyone seen it closed mid-may or later due to high water?

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Open launches will be just as big of a secret to keep to yourself as a hot bite for the next couple weeks. Whichever opens first (if before the inland opener) will be swamped.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

^I didn’t mean it as I’m hiding top secret information…rather I don’t really have anything to share. I haven’t been around the lake in a while. I plan to do some recon Monday and see where things are at around the area as I have a variety of errands to run.

I would guess that Hok Si La would be one of the first to open back up though just due to how much of a slope the launch has and the relatively small area of shoreline to clear debris from.

Everts won’t mess around getting cleared out as water resides either I’d assume as it is an income source. As soon as it won’t damage their property to launch, I’d bet they open.

The lower end around Wabasha will be one of the last (unless you have a smaller rig to launch in back waters and meander out). The marina and park there in town flood easily and are the first to go under.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

So proud applause

isu22andy

Anyone know what happened in Winona this afternoon? Lots of fire and ems, dive boats ect below the spillway in the park .

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

^boater went overboard from what I heard

Rescue teams were successful in getting him out alive. 2nd one in this area in 5 days

isu22andy

Got my answer . You were correct Bucky

Attachments:
    1. B10FC74D-74C6-486C-8BC7-DFF340CEA62E.png

2. 29D367ED-AFB2-4F2D-9BFA-05D9EC8B7559.jpeg

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

Anyone been out on 4? Curious on water temps.

isu22andy

Anyone been out on 4? Curious on water temps.

Just breaking – 60 as of last night . Fish caught on cranks and pulling live bait . All short fish however not one over 14 -15 inches . Hopefully by the weekend the debri patches will be gone .

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

Thanks Andy…. Trying to decide on Pool 4 or Mille Lacs on Monday.

Jim

I had 62 F when I got off the water tonight. Good crank trolling bite, biggest 21” and had a bigger one get off at the boat. A mix of eaters and small ones. Beautiful afternoon/evening.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Similar results for me this week as posted above. Fish are there to be had. We have had some flurries of doubles followed by lulls. Water temps are anywhere from 59-63 from what I have seen. Caught a few on crawlers, most on cranks with no real consistent color pattern other than bright being best in my boat. I know some guys are getting them 3 way rigging creek chubs too.

I make the same offer every year:

If anyone wants to swap detailed reports via PM I’ll always do so if it’s reciprocated. I’ll be back out next Saturday morning, and then hopefully Tuesday afternoon as well.

Onthewater

There are fish to be had. Sunday the biggest was 28″ in the river. Got out yesterday afternoon the biggest was 29″ on the lake. Tactics used were about everything but trolling. If you are catching a lot of small fish you are probably not where the the big girls are. May randomly catch a pig with them but it’s not very likely. I only caught 1 fish under 15 in the 2 trips but only averaged about 7-8 fish a day also.

Bill Cadwell

Does anyone know what the current water temps are on the lake? Thanks.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Hey Mr. Bill!

I don’t have first hand knowledge but the locks from #2 to #8 are all reporting 60 to 63 degree water temps.

Go get ’em!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

On another note…

Lots of rain around the Mankato area over the weekend.

Attachments:
    1. 5.16.23.png

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

^Looks like I’m going to be pushing into the lake more in hopes of dodging grass and dirty water.

Viewing 30 posts - 121 through 150 (of 162 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.