Anyone been on pool 4 lately?

• joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

Lots of water headed your way Bucky!!

Got out yesterday on 4. Had lots of action with the 13″ to 19″ fish. trolled and casted cranks mostly. absolutely beautiful day… light boat traffic…. Fished a spot mid/head of the lake from 3 – 6p and hammered fish and never saw a boat all afternoon while in that spot.

trolled anywhere from 5-12′ and casted to flooded shorelines and up to 5’… lot of fun. I wish I had more time.

JEREMY
    BP

The MN River by me is up a good 8 feet since friday and still rising. Should have a nice surge of water your way shortly.

Bill Cadwell

Lots of rain around the Mankato area over the weekend

Plus the Minnesota River had been up over 8 ft so lots of water coming our way for sure.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

We all could sure use a crest soon!

Attachments:
    1. 5.17.23.png

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Lots of water headed your way Bucky!!

Got out yesterday on 4. Had lots of action with the 13″ to 19″ fish. trolled and casted cranks mostly. absolutely beautiful day… light boat traffic…. Fished a spot mid/head of the lake from 3 – 6p and hammered fish and never saw a boat all afternoon while in that spot.

trolled anywhere from 5-12′ and casted to flooded shorelines and up to 5’… lot of fun. I wish I had more time.

I was out last night for a little bit and we found cooperative fish (all released, with biggest being mid 20s). I’m heading out again tonight in the next hour. Tonight we are going to try some different tactics and spots. Last night we were in a community spot and although we caught fish, it got old dealing with boats slowly but surely crowding in. What started with a half dozen boats in a large area became a couple dozen in a hurry.

Pepin and all of the corresponding backwaters can take a lot more water than the upper end of 4 and other upstream areas. What pushes the Red Wing gauge up doesn’t generally do as much to impact water exiting Pool 4. It looks like the surge of water coming from the MN is only slated to push the lower end of Pool 4 by Wabasha up 8″ or so (so far).

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Hit pool 4 with a buddy this morning. Got to Everts around 545 and got to our spot around 610. Caught about 7 or 8 eyes before the sun came up pitching plastics up on shallow riprap. That died off after an hour and then we started working current seams with limited success. Finally we pulled Dubuque rigs which yielded and handful more. Overall we had around 15 fish for about 4 hours. Not great, but definitely beats ice fishing.

I’m definitely not a pool 4 expert so I was happy with the day. Current was up a bit and clarity was about a foot. No size on the walleye but got our limit of eaters.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

having those reactors down at the nuc plant probably has spread the fish out more than ever before? was supposed to make the ice fishing on Pepin amazing on P4 but here we are in 2024 and no ice to walk on bawling

gregory
    Red wing,mn

Seen a bunch of trailers at back channel launch, any luck out there? Seen a few ice chunks floating down an Also.

isu22andy

I stayed away from the dam today . Slow for me . Did catch a chunk of rebar and an American flag . Oh and a few sauger but nothing to write home about. Threw the kitchen sink at them . I guess somedays they just won’t bite … prob should have broke out the headlamp …

Attachments:
    1. 069FDB11-E364-4735-90B6-DF44C5CCEFE3-scaled.jpeg

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I think many people believe that you just go to the dam and slay fish. river fishing is so rewarding when you do slay them but it does not happen like some claim it does. its a good thing that it is this way! imagine if they just jumped in the boat. I mean how fun would that be? It just takes one bite out there to change the course of an entire trip. I wonder if this warm up will trick more fish to spawn earlier?

Viewing 12 posts - 151 through 162 (of 162 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.