Any Gas Fireplace guys?

• sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

Seems to be a wealth of knowledgeable information on the site.

I have an older Heat n Glo 7000tr gas fireplace. Has gone many years without trouble.
    I shut it down when propane went through the roof… dumb, I know…

Started it back up a few years ago and have struggled every year with it.

Current situation:
    Because the pilot would not stay lit I did the following: (I also knew pilot was corroded and not putting out enough flame)
    I replaced the entire lighting assembly at the same time a few weeks ago. (spark, thermocouple, thermopile, pilot)
    I’ve double checked every wire, connection to gas valve and thermostat on wall.

Pilot light will come on and stay lit forever.
    If I move the switch to on or off the burner will light for a minute or so and shut off including the pilot.
    I can immediately re-light the pilot without trouble.

The only thing I havent done according to the troubleshooting manual is to check air gaps in glass on corners.

Any thoughts?

Coletrain27

Are the holes on the burner clear and not corroded?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Replace the regulator and give it another go.

Coletrain27

Replace the regulator and give it another go.

You could test gas pressure and find if that was bad or not before going and buying parts that might not be needed

Dave maze
    Isanti

You may need to move the thermocouple up a little so it’s into the pilot flame more.

Coletrain27

If the main flame starts then shuts off then something isn’t sensing the main flame and shutting off the gas valve for safety reasons or the burner is dirty and not reaching the sensor enough.

duh queen

Does it have a flame sensor rod as well as a thermocouple? They get dirty and fail. What you’re describing is exactly what happens when they go bad. If you have one, it needs to be places not directly in the brightest flame, but slightly offset, in the clearer vapor cloud of the flame. Lightly scrubbing with a scrubby pad will clear the corrosion. If that doesn’t work, you can buy a new one for about 1
    $12. They’re manufacturer specific. so look up your info before buying.

sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

Nothing is corroded on burner and when lit looks great.

@Dutchboy

Replace regulator on my LP Tank outside? Furnace in house works fine and the fireplace worked fine before.

Flame on thermocouple is good or the burner flame and pilot would not start or stay lit, correct?

It doenst have a flame sensor it has a Thermopile.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

There should be a letter code following the 7000tr – xxxx

You may have an older model. If I remember correctly the 6000 has the long skinny burner and the 7000 has the wide burner. I thought the 7000’s all went to a direct electric ignition. I also remember a ceramic sensor by the flame. Those were very picky on placement – like an 1/8” variant to their placement to the burner. I’m getting old and don’t remember every detail anymore on every model we installed

MX1825

Flame sensor or thermocouple is to far away from the flame would be my guess.

Don Carlisle
    Aitkin mn

Measure the voltage coming out of the thermo coupler if you voltage replace the gas valve.

sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

Tag lists 7000tr and 7000tr-dsi. The DSI is blacked out with a marker. It does not have the DSI ignition.

sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

I will do some voltage checks.

Don Carlisle
    Aitkin mn

With the pilot on you should have milli voltage from the thermo coupler

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.