Another round of name changes in Wisconsin

• Deuces

when u spend enough time around them you can tell they are offended and repressed due to a lake called squaw lake. I never get that feeling when we are with her native family.

Feelings are not conversations, as I said prior if you’ve had those conversations there simply are no assumptions taking place.

Im not entirely sure what a movement of racism is, but from your small sample size that you assume from your feelings is a movement, I would not throw that opinion upon every native, bc it is wrong.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I don’t ever want to hear a white bass called a (whitey).I’m very sensitive to that.

Haha.

Black Friday needs to be called something else too now. jester

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>
    when u spend enough time around them you can tell they are offended and repressed due to a lake called squaw lake. I never get that feeling when we are with her native family.

Feelings are not conversations, as I said prior if you’ve had those conversations there simply are no assumptions taking place.

Im not entirely sure what a movement of racism is, but from your small sample size that you assume from your feelings is a movement, I would not throw that opinion upon every native, bc it is wrong.

I’m not throwing my opinions on any one. If you read my response I was stating there native names don’t bother them. They still use them till this day. And as for feelings go, isn’t that what this is all about. White man using the native name, but instead of being used in a positive light it’s being pushed in a negative way. Which is not right. And that’s my point. Non of it should be looked as negative, it’s all positive. I’m sure we could have a very educated conversation in person and see both sides of the argument, its hard over a typed out message. To easy to take it the wrong way.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I have a lot of fond memories of Squaw Lake, MN. Thankfully Minnesota hasn’t touched that one and hopefully this madness ends in the near future.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I have a lot of fond memories of Squaw Lake, MN. Thankfully Minnesota hasn’t touched that one and hopefully this madness ends in the near future.

Which one? They changed the one up by Outing From Squaw to Little Emily.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>suzuki wrote:</div>

Which one? They changed the one up by Outing From Squaw to Little Emily.

The one just north of Winni. Just checked and I am wrong. They DID change the name of the lake to Natures Lake but not the town. Madness.

Reef W

The one just north of Winni. Just checked and I am wrong. They DID change the name of the lake to Natures Lake but not the town. Madness.

It’s been changed for 27 years. Obviously had a huge effect on you jester

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Look – Free shipping

White Sale – Bloomingdale’shttps://www.bloomingdales.com › buy › white-sale
    Items 1 – 60 of 3693 — Shop White Sale at Bloomingdales.com. Free Shipping and Free Returns available, or buy online and pick up in store!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

So back in the day male indians didn’t call the female indians squws?

Fun fact, the answer to your question is, “No, unless they were Algonquin. And even then, probably not.”

There is no such thing as “The Indian language”. While there are similarities between some tribes who share “language families”, when you compare the languages of distant tribes–say the Algonquin and the Navajo, the languages have almost no similarities.

So the only Indians to call a women “squaw” would be an Algonquin or perhaps a member of another tribe who used another Algonquin-family language. Except… They may or may not have ever used the word as we pronounce it today

The word itself is probably an Anglicized or Francocized corruption of the actual word. Since the Algonquian language was not formally recorded until the late 19th century, it’s impossible to know for sure.

But now we get into the dicey area of what did the word come to mean to the (mainly) Anglo and French colonials? The contention is that it came to mean something deragatory, similar to the word “b!tch” which used to refer to a female dog, but of course has now because largely a derogatory word meaning something totally different. Historical evidence on this point is thin.

Iowaboy1

Well,,, me and my squaw think a whole bunch of panty wastes need to grow the F up.

JEREMY
    BP

Bet theres a midget somewhere that would take offense to “Little Emily”

JEREMY
    BP

Sorry i meant dwarf

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

My sister is 4’-10” and takes offence when midgets / dwarfs are called little people because she is not a midget. No matter how hard you try not to offend people. Someone will be offended. Even though it is not the intent to offend. Being offended allows people the ability to make others feel guilty and puts them in a position of power over the offender. Today, stick and stone will break my bones and words will traumatize me forever. coffee

big_g
    Isle, MN

Words/phrases to avoid, lest you offend. Chief, Circle the wagons, have a pow wow, indian summer, indian giver, any reference to totem pole, peace pipe, hold down the fort, too many chiefs, off reservation, trading beads, scalping anything.. the list goes on and on… and this is just native.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>suzuki wrote:</div>

It’s been changed for 27 years. Obviously had a huge effect on you jester

just goes to show you what the locals think. I never heard it by any other name.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Look – Free shipping

White Sale – Bloomingdale’shttps://www.bloomingdales.com › buy › white-sale
    Items 1 – 60 of 3693 — Shop White Sale at Bloomingdales.com. Free Shipping and Free Returns available, or buy online and pick up in store!

I’m gonna hold out for the Black Friday discount!

Lou W

A guy around here has a real honest to god 20’ totem pole in his front yard. He lives about a mile from the local rez. He’s white. I can help but wonder wtf he was thinking. Ojibwa didn’t have totem poles…..that was confined to the pacific NW

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

A guy around here has a real honest to god 20’ totem pole in his front yard. He lives about a mile from the local rez. He’s white. I can help but wonder wtf he was thinking. Ojibwa didn’t have totem poles…..that was confined to the pacific NW

It’s a cool piece. Just like having dream catchers, I know many white people especially kids who have them. Is there certain things only white people should have, I don’t think so

castle-rock-clown

Well, if we go back in history, there’s lots of things only white men could own or do…how many women do you know who are full Masons?

Dan
    Southeast MN

Words/phrases to avoid, lest you offend. Chief, Circle the wagons, have a pow wow, indian summer, indian giver, any reference to totem pole, peace pipe, hold down the fort, too many chiefs, off reservation, trading beads, scalping anything.. the list goes on and on… and this is just native.

I’ve seen far too many John Wayne movies, we’re keeping “circle the wagons”

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Well, if we go back in history, there’s lots of things only white men could own or do…how many women do you know who are full Masons?

We are not going back in history. We are paving a new road. Isn’t that kind of the new point. And if your talking ownership of slaves and such, color owning colors is still a very real thing and always has been. Buy that’s in there civilizations so we don’t hear about it. They estimate over 9 to 10 million Africans still are slaves in Africa right now today.

And for masons lol now do we have to start talking about women not being part of that cult

stevenoak

Have you noticed every month is somebody’s month?? I’m sure soon we will get around to Military personnel, Nursing home volunteers, honor roll students, maybe even hunter safety instructors. People that help society, but don’t ask to be recognized

castle-rock-clown

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>castle-rock-clown wrote:</div>

We are not going back in history. We are paving a new road. Isn’t that kind of the new point. And if your talking ownership of slaves and such, color owning colors is still a very real thing and always has been. Buy that’s in there civilizations so we don’t hear about it. They estimate over 9 to 10 million Africans still are slaves in Africa right now today.

And for masons lol now do we have to start talking about women not being part of that cult

See that sliver of light from the door that is barely open? There is much more behind it. The question each person faces is if they want to open the door more, and to what extent.

buschman
    Pool 2

Well, if we go back in history, there’s lots of things only white men could own or do

I do not need a history lesson. However I would be more than happy to hear what these white men currently “DO” own that no one else can here in the USA cannot obtain? Seems like a far reach to me but what do I know. Would be happy to know what your are talking about??

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’m an Indian outlaw
    Half Cherokee and Choctaw
    My baby, she’s a Chippewa
    She’s a one of a kind.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I’m an Indian outlaw
    Half Cherokee and Choctaw
    My baby, she’s a Chippewa
    She’s a one of a kind.

One of his better songs IMO

castle-rock-clown

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>castle-rock-clown wrote:</div>
    Well, if we go back in history, there’s lots of things only white men could own or do

I do not need a history lesson. However I would be more than happy to hear what these white men currently “DO” own that no one else can here in the USA cannot obtain? Seems like a far reach to me but what do I know. Would be happy to know what your are talking about??

There’s a lot of old money that still calls the shots in not just the USA, but the world over. The old money doesn’t just keep us work a day pawns in our place, it also has the ability to take down billionaires that are not protected within their very exclusive group.

As for me, I’m white, I’m male and I play within the system and I can’t complain. But like Chris Rock said, “there’s not a white man in this audience that would permanently trade places with me”.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

how many women do you know who are full Masons?

Oh thanks for reminding me! I know women got the right to vote in 1919..but I was trying to find out when they were not considered property any longer. Seems like it had to be around the 1900’s.

buschman
    Pool 2

Castle, this is not an answer to what you stated earlier. Honestly I love Chris Rock and sure there are millions of white dudes that would trade places with him. That’s a crazy statement with some sarcasm and truth but does not apply to any single group. Same with these name changes. It does not apply to all. Just the squeaky wheel.

I guess my point is why come onto a fishing website and imply “White man bad”. But whatever. This is pretty standard in todays world as well so not surprised. I just thought I would learn something I didn’t already know.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 117 total)

The topic ‘Another round of name changes in Wisconsin’ is closed to new replies.