Another round of name changes in Wisconsin

• John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Of course its ridiculous. I like what you did there by the way!

Deuces

What in particular is rediculous about it?

glenn57
    cold spring mn

other then this country going completely bonkers on political correctness?? coffee whistling

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Of course its ridiculous. I like what you did there by the way!

That was actually a typo. Took me a while to understand what you were referring to!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

That some mid 40s white lady is deciding that names of lakes and water ways using a native reference is actually people being racists. That’s the ridiculous part. Same thing that’s been going on. When 99 percent of names are indeed not racist in any which way.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Mr.Beads wrote:</div>

That some mid 40s white lady is deciding that names of lakes and water ways using a native reference is actually people being racists. That’s the ridiculous part. Same thing that’s been going on. When 99 percent of names are indeed not racist in any which way.

Agree 100%

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’m sure the map, gps and sign companies didn’t support this in any way…it’s not like we have more pressing issues right now that would make this kind of expenditure a little less important.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Pretty damn pathetic that people need to be offended for others who are not even bothered by it.
    So sick of feelings…

Deuces

Did anyone see the secretary of interior deb Holland is indigenous herself whos cabinet is working with the WI DNR, which begs the ?? how exactly is that some others narrative here is completely different?

Anyone here spoke with an indigenous woman lately and ask how they feel about this particular situation?

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

This really doesn’t bother me. Not because I agree with it, but because few people will care to even change how they address, name, use, or visit these places. Similarly to Lake Calhoun, these name changes will be a formality. I don’t live near the cities and couldn’t begin to tell you the “new” name of Calhoun other than it starts with a B.

The intention behind these changes is as much to rile people up and make them frustrated as it is to deliver a meaningful warranted change. It’s one of those things that if you ignore it, don’t share it…it’s like it never happened

Reef W

MN did this in 1995, figures that WI is that far behind whistling

Leftysrconfused

Did anyone see the secretary of interior deb Holland is indigenous herself whos cabinet is working with the WI DNR, which begs the ?? how exactly is that some others narrative here is completely different?

Anyone here spoke with an indigenous woman lately and ask how they feel about this particular situation?

Yes I did and the indigenous woman says there are too many social justice crybabies these days.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Half my ladies family is native tribe men and women. When all the teams were forced to change there names they talked about it being more of a step backwards rather then forwards. I haven’t talked to them about lake and land names using the word squaw but I bet it’s a very similar opinion. The ones claiming racism are the opinions that are not in popular beliefs. But obviously that’s from just the few house holds of them that we know. I can see where one wants to say these names are a sign of hatred, but I see them exactly opposite.
    But Why have you spoke with any, besides reading that article from a lady who likes to claim hate, and change the words true meaning. Because I bet there are a million words some one could claim as offensive if they wanted that have no true harsh meanings. Squaw lake is a indigenous name that means woman lake.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Many, many towns have gone through name changes many years ago. The old names are just a forgotten part of history. It’s the same today with these lakes, places. The name change won’t mean squat to this generation but 100 years from now they will have been erased from memories.

I’m not big on altering history but at some point i’ll also be history and won’t care.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

The good news is that all racism will be gone. As long as kids don’t say squaw…. every thing clears up… gonna be a wonderful world. coffee

maddogg

So back in the day male indians didn’t call the female indians squws?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I take offence to being called a Male, white privileged person…but since they haven’t named a town, or river after me there’s not much I can do about it.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

So we needed to change Calhoun because it was honoring someone that in today’s PC worldview shouldn’t be honored, but also anything named Squaw is derogatory due to some’s perceived view of how that name is interpreted? I can’t keep up with the Double Speak. Next on the docket will be Woman Lake and Little Boy because the extreme left can’t define either of those without being Transphobic. I just reread 1984, The Gulag Manifesto and The Communist Manifesto for the first time and most of this stuff comes right out of or leads right into these books.

Umy
    South Metro

Well, then by this logic we can’t call these rivers by these names anymore in MN
    Devil Track river ( Can’t call them the Tampa Bay Devil Rays so why can we use the word Devil)
    Whiteface River
    Paleface River
    Knife River ( violent)
    Little Ann river ( implies a short short, female identifying woman)
    Little Joe River ….
    Little Black River….
    Johnson River ( implies male dominance)
    ( this part was an attempt at humor on my part, not a political or intellectual stance)

PC has gone too far but if I let it bother me then that’s bad on me. If you look at college sports, high school teams etc they are thick with “unPC” names but no one’s losing sleep over THEM. I’d personally rather you spend money on social issues, roads, infrastructure etc. but if it makes you feel better by all means, spend your elected hours on changing names, it’ll be a great societal legacy.
    It will always be Lake Calhoun to me cause that’s what I know it as and what i use in conversation. If it offends someone I don’t even blink ( can’t remember or pronounce the other name anyway).

BTW, as a father whose son went to UND during their name change, he sat on a commission with many other people, including natives. The natives really LIKED Fighting Sioux. They did not want to change the name. The Students all liked HAWKS ( it meant How About We Keep Sioux)

It’s where we apparently are right now in our “growth” as a society.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The word eskimo to the same group is a incredibly derogatory name.
    But we all seem to support the use of it in our ice fishing world.
    Very confusing on what, when and where these should stop.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Very confusing on what, when and where these should stop.

Should have never started in the first place. I’m unsure off how/when/why we lost all control and sense in this world. Sad place right now.

Deuces

I never offered my opinion on the matter so there’s nothing to defend.

When one spends enough time around others you don’t need to ask such questions, you simply already know the answers.

Why have you spoke with any

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Lakes are getting personal…im all for it

Attachments:
    1. E311A788-1FA0-4330-8675-C4086B814B85.png

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I never offered my opinion on the matter so there’s nothing to defend.

When one spends enough time around others you don’t need to ask such questions, you simply already know the answers.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>
    Why have you spoke with any

So when u spend enough time around them you can tell they are offended and repressed due to a lake called squaw lake. I never get that feeling when we are with her native family.
    Obviously that is a very small sample size, my main point is the names are not a movement of racism and cultures need to work together to understand these things. These days it’s more about self oppression then anything and it’s kind of a joke.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

I don’t ever want to hear a white bass called a (whitey).I’m very sensitive to that.

Paulski
    “Ever Wonder Why There Are No Democrats On Mount Rushmore ? "

Political Correctness – ” The ability to pick up a Turd by the clean end ….”

gary d
    cordova,il

A jack-ass will now be call a lift-butt in some one’s eyes.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 117 total)

The topic ‘Another round of name changes in Wisconsin’ is closed to new replies.